Why are sciences and mathematics scaled so well? (1 Viewer)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Post 47 give best answer, why no one read?

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
so asian people can win the hsc durrr

and most people have horrible english, so expecting them to churn out flowing, coherent essays for legal, mod, ancient etc. is lolz.

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
more like 4u maths > all
2u and general aren't so hot
3u is good

lionking1191

HSC
Rhanoct said:
so asian people can win the hsc durrr

and most people have horrible english, so expecting them to churn out flowing, coherent essays for legal, mod, ancient etc. is lolz.
lol @ the modern ranks

georgefren

HSC
They're not scaled so well that you can't do well without maths and sciences. You just need a little higher raw mark in your other subject (how much higher depending on the subject). Middle to high band sixes - above, say 95 - in almost any subject will scale approximately the same.

HSC
i think that the scaling is fair yet unfair.
like i do a wide range of subjects ranging from easy to had.
community & family studies is most possibly one of the easiest things ever. but i know that its scaling is not so fantastic unless you do really really well. thats my easiest subject.
my hardest subject, extension 1 maths is rather difficult so i think for someone to be able to do that course & achieve a decent mark, is worth high scaling.

i dont think anything should get scaled down but scaling up, yes off course.
maths & sciences are hard. & its not actually the subject...its the students performing each year.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
you don't have to do better

waht you have to do is

bribe everyone at ruse, baulko etc. to do ur crappy subjects

"hey guys i'll give u all sum cash if u do art & cafs"

dp624

HSC
Will Shakespear said:

waht you have to do is

You could probably save a bit of money by bribing only the principal at ruse =D to transfer in

HSC
Will Shakespear said:

waht you have to do is

LOL LOL LOL! i like that tactic :p

HSC
georgefren said:
They're not scaled so well that you can't do well without maths and sciences. You just need a little higher raw mark in your other subject (how much higher depending on the subject). Middle to high band sixes - above, say 95 - in almost any subject will scale approximately the same.
I got 99.1 with no extension maths or science :D

lionking1191

HSC
Will Shakespear said:

waht you have to do is

not really...you'll just have a couple of state ranks taken and the scaling remains crappy in the mid-lower end :(

runnable

HSC
Will Shakespear said:

waht you have to do is

In fact, the scaling will be worse due to the large amount of high marks taken by these students.

dp624

HSC
runnable said:
In fact, the scaling will be worse due to the large amount of high marks taken by these students.
no, it'll be better. scaled mean goes up, which means scaling goes up

runnable

HSC
dp624 said:
With the large amount of high scores, it will make the subject look even weaker compared to other subjects the smart kids are doing. Leading to a worse scaling. The current low scaling is simply because students get lower marks in their other subjects.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Will Shakespear said:

waht you have to do is

runnable said:
dp624 said:
runnable said:
With the large amount of high scores, it will make the subject look even weaker compared to other subjects the smart kids are doing. Leading to a worse scaling. The current low scaling is simply because students get lower marks in their other subjects.
The scaled mean would increase substantially but so would the scaled standard deviation.

The high-achieving students that had been inserted into the distribution would receive high scaled marks similar to the scaled marks they received in all of their courses, and the old low-achieving students would still receive the same low scaled marks they would have received if the high-achieving students had not been there.

However, if you convinced the high-achieving students to take the course and then bomb out in the exam so that they were ranked below the low-achievers, you might be more successful. This would impact adversely on the scaling of the other courses taken by the high-achievers though (because their status as high-achievers - i.e. as students who tend to rank highly in all of their courses - would become questionable).

dat202hoe

HSC
Yes Mr 'I'm so Keen for some head from Lamien Anderson' that is essentially correct people who do better subjects are smarter, that means I am smarter than you. By the way, this time a few years back you and some of your buddies said you would beat me in the HSC? When was that supposed to happen?
Nah mate you aren't smarter than me.

joshoh

HSC
Year 10 subject selection advised by staff
'Do the subjects you enjoy and are comfortable with'

Follow through.

Learn halfway down the track that is is bullshit as far as getting a high UAI is concerned.

I took Standard, Music 1, Ancient, Drama ( big mistake not what I thought it would be, still did ok though) Hospitality and dropped media.

Got good HSC results, UAI pretty crap. I expected it.

Lucky I didnt need it as my course is based on audition and interview. HOWEVER...........I think the whole system sucks.

Talking to my mate in UK, what you get as a mark eg: A B OR C, this determines your entrance to uni. YOUR mark, not everyone elses. Simple eh?

As for the scientific mind being superior to the artistic mind......
I aint even gonna go there because we all know this generalisation is untrue in the REAL world.

Full Kudos to those of your that did well with the sciences, If I had of taken them I would of crashed and burned, just as a mathematition would with art!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)