Why are sciences and mathematics scaled so well? (1 Viewer)

adnan91

HSC
Because there harder. Someone who gets band 5 or 6 should be scaled well according to evry years bell curve. But mainly it depends on ur cohort, only compete with ppl in ur school before HSC exams start, afterwards its abt you and the rest of the state.

lionking1191

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
the system is fair, and allows people to do the subjects they want and still gain a decent UAI

in fact, i know someone who got the same UAI as me, but did not undertake mathematics, but was more a humanities/english person - so the system caters for everyone
yeah we have some of non-maths, ancient/modern + languages (not latin) ppl at our school and they got highs 99s (one 99.95)

-Anfernee-

HSC
lyounamu said:
No, Sciences are NOT harder because at least you cannot make "bullshit" on your exams like in subjects like Ancient History.
:rofl:

dat202hoe

HSC
ZaraKu said:
It's cause the Board of Studies whackjobs think that people who don't do maths or science subjects are considered useless, but they obviously haven't realised that not everyone wants to be a doctor or a maths professor. It's even worse when you do a creative/performing arts subject, seeing as everyone considers them "bludge" subjects, when they're just as much work, possibly even more than most maths/science subjects.

There. I've had my rant. Thank you BOS for considering me a complete dumbshit.
Right on sister.

Monika D

HSC
They're just rewarding people who put themselves through years of pain (studying sciences and maths) because social sciences are fun :( same goes with art based subjects.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
yeah we have some of non-maths, ancient/modern + languages (not latin) ppl at our school and they got highs 99s (one 99.95)
We're regularly told by a teacher at our school that the only two kids to have gotten a UAI of 100 in recent years did no maths or sciences.

sirfeathers

HSC
...*sigh*... ok i'll try to explain...

The UAC's scaling of different subjects uses a complex algorithm based on a simple premise: some subjects are more difficult than others. How do they try to gauge this?

Say I got a mark for English that put me in the top 10% (90th percentile) of the English candidature, but a mark for Biology that put me in the top 70% of the Biology candidature (30th percentile). Say this pattern was repeated over a large number of people who did both of these subjects - where people tended to be have higher percentiles in the English cohort than in the Biology cohort. This makes it appear as if the Biology cohort is "smarter" than the English cohort, because there are lots of people like me who are in the top 10% for English but only in the top 70% for Biology. Consequently, Biology as a subject would scale better than English.

This is essentially what the UAC does, comparing the percentiles achieved by students in a multitude of different subjects. So yes, it does work on the premise that some subjects are more difficult to perform well in than others. However it is not driven by value judgements, as some in this thread have suggested - it is based solely on the performance of the HSC candidature in any given year. There is no reason why the maths and science subjects could not be the lowest scaling subjects next year, if that is how the candidature performs.

Last edited:

breezy221090

HSC
Thankyou! Finally! Maybe now it can be understood that UAC scale the students not the subjects and put an end to all the whinging about unfairness.

singh.with.me

HSC
which scales better- Biology or Physics??
i currently have 12 units and i want to drop one of the above sujects
bring it down to 10 units...
if it helps to answer, i'll be aiming/hoping for and expecting a mark >90
also, im 'good' at both of them but bio, i feel, is easier.

pls people, help me out with the decision here!

runnable

HSC
Physics scales much better. If you have to drop to 10 units and you are equally good, then Phy is the right choice.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I did biology over physic, and i got >90. Runnable did biology, and he got 90>.

I will be impartial and let you judge the given data.

ZaraKu

HSC
dat202hoe said:
Right on sister.
Thank you! Most of my friends agree with me on this too. Although none of them did science and we all did general maths.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
dat202hoe said:
It's essentially stereotyping, right? Science and maths = smart people.
Yes Mr 'I'm so Keen for some head from Lamien Anderson' that is essentially correct people who do better subjects are smarter, that means I am smarter than you. By the way, this time a few years back you and some of your buddies said you would beat me in the HSC? When was that supposed to happen? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Last edited:

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
chewy123 said:
I did biology over physic, and i got >90. Runnable did biology, and he got 90>.

I will be impartial and let you judge the given data.
I know someone who scored over 90 for biology but got band 5 for physics.

His bio mark didn't get calculated towards his uai

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
EES and Senior Science do not scale well, they scale down IIRC.

As for Ext 1 and Ext 2 Maths, they are difficult. Anyone who's done the courses will tell you that. Therefore it tends to attract those who are obviously good at Maths.

To put it simply the 'smart' people do Ext 1/2 Maths because it requires a logical and analytical mindset. That same approach also applies to Physics and Chemistry, which is why the people who are good at high levels of Maths are also good at those subjects.

dp624

HSC
Almost all subjects 'scale down' from their aligned -> scaled marks. now this isn't the most correct way to view it but yea, MX2 and some languages and distinction courses don't scale down

rlmck

HSC
Babbu said:
It is sickening, this competition for UAI's. This scaling business sounds so manipulative and calculative. People end up opting for a well scaling course that they don't like but simply for good UAI, they have to go for economics and then end up as a doctor.

As long as one gets admission in one's desired course, how does it matter if one gets a 100 or 99.5 or 88.5 or even 75. In our desire to get 100 UAI, we end up pressurising ourselves so much that we get even lower than what we normally get.

So cheers to everyone who try their best, and then get a UAI to sail them to a nice uni course.
NICLEY STATED:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)