• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (11 Viewers)

BSammy

HSC
i'm Office 2IC so i get a set too, before i got CSM i used to have a heaps better set

-cash office key
-managers office key
-cash office hatch key
-aircom door key
-office drawer key
-mailbag key
I'm our cash 2ic, but I only have the cash office door key. However that, plus knowing the safe combo gives me access to pretty much any key I want.

But with great power comes great keysponsibility.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Yeah, we (newtown) got refurbed about a year ago, also Glenorchy had a refurb when I was there about 3.5 to 4 years ago.

Both times they upgraded to the stupid double sided express lanes, but I think Glenorchy was too long ago before they decided on the sign styles or anything.

I think it's been fixed now, but they either forgot or couldn't afford a wanzl entrance gate, and it's probably in one of the main lower class areas of Sth Tassie, and for a while they had someone rostered on purely to stand at the wide open gate, to check bags, etc.
I actually managed to get that shift on a couple of occasions.:cool:
Haha! Yeah New Town and Glenorchy are always on the Criminal Watch memo thing.
Yeah like harry said I was talking about the 2010 format. We are the same as Harry's first photo but still with staggered express. We are keeping the staggered express when we get refurbed, and still only three, which i find ridiculous. Getting 4 S/S. I think we'll be the first TAS store with S/S though?

My SSM gave me one. I thought only 3IC, 2IC and CSM wore them. But whoever is on service apparently MUST wear them (at my store any way). So if there are 3 of us supervising, we all wear them.
Yeah only CSM to 4IC have them at my current store, but at old store every single supervisor had them and had to wear them, which was wierd cos my current store is under the AO and old store was rural.

BSammy

HSC
The recent post in the Coles thread reminded me about Christmas T-shirts.

If we are allowed to wear Christmas T-shirts this year then I am planning on wearing this...

Last edited:

Otacon2009

HSC
On the subject of keys, I accidentally took home the self serve keys after closing one night. I didn't know I had them until I woke up with something cold pressing against my leg. Initial thoughts were "Wow. Did I have an awesome night out?" then "These look like the Self Serve keys. OMG! THEY ARE!". Fortunately, everyone except for my store's drama queen saw the lighter side of it and I'm only 5 minutes walk from it.

SS-champion

HSC
i think managers should be forced to work one day a month on checkouts (or one half day), just so they can see what it's like and wat we have to put up with.
have u heard of Super Service Day? where the store manager is in charge of front end?

Do other stores within Woolworths (Dick Smith, etc) use WoWPoS?
I live in a cave so I wouldn't know..
Dan Murphy's has them and Big W does now... I think eventually they all will.

oh we're pissant, technically 3 express, 4 full service, 1 smokeshop, 2 liquor, in reality usually it's just 1 expres and 1 full service open during daylight, and an extra full service @ night + the 1 liquor. between 260-290 k sales pw. edit: i think 59 official staff members
wow that is so small! only 1 express and 1 full open!? lol
we have 9 full/bulk, 4 express, 5 self-serve, 2 smoke shop and 3 in liquor.
today was very busy I'm talking like all bulk open at some stages! we usually only have 1-2 on express now because a lot of people go to self serve!

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
I think they're talking about the 2010 refurbishment. Where the express lanes are separated from the Service desk and smoke shop, different color walls and floors and pretty much everything is different/new. What you have described sounds like the old stores. I'll put some photos on showing the difference.

Old format (before 2010 Refurbishment)- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/1995-2007-8-9-10.jpg

2010 Format- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/2010refurb.jpg

Old Produce-- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/2001REFIT.jpg

New Produce-- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/Moreprettystore.jpg

New Smoke Shop/Service Desk-- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/2010FORMAT.jpg

New Front of aisles-- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/2010.jpg

Some more new registers-- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/Sooopretty.jpg

Old front of store-- http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/Harry7784/OLDFORMAT.jpg
2010 Format - I want that at My Store

New Produce - Looks very nice.

Old Produce - Looks like our current produce area.

New Smokeshop/Service desk - Identical to ours,apart from the logo.

New Front of Aisles - I want that!

Some More New Registers - I wish we have them. We have the old checkouts,but they have replaced the lights and all the pannelling has black metal and stainless steel stuck on top of the old stuff.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
...express lanes are separated from the Service desk and smoke shop, different color walls and floors and pretty much everything is different/new.
The store I am hoping to transfer to has 3 express checkouts, smokeshop and service desk all in one, but it's all brand new (2010 format). It would suck for the supervisor who would have to serve when it's busy.

Does anyone remember the store format before the last two. It was a much darker green, probably from the early 90's. I know that Safeway at Highpoint SC in Melbourne is still like it.

Oh, and these are the pics I took today...

Craven

HSC
Oh, our store looks like the pictures Harry posted, the newer-2010 look (out of interest, our previous look wasn't the old look in the other pictues, lol, it was either the look before that or the one before that :p). I can't see the registers up close so I'm not sure if they are exactly the same but they look pretty similar but ours are almost entirely stainless steel (not smooth). And that's what our service desk looks like but the express lanes (3 of them) are attached to the desk. There isn't a sign or lights on the express registers so a lot of people either don't know it's there or think it's a full-service lane.. and get pissed off when we turn their full trolley away.. well really, how did you think we could put all your groceries through in that TINY bagging area they give you these days :S

sigh, I hate EFT anomalies. On another note, does anyone find that Helpdesk is NOT that helpful? Well, depends on who you get. Sometimes you just have to call back and get someone else because some people are useless on there.. lol.

Supervisor vests: our CSM/2IC have them but none of the other service staff do (except for one night time/weekend one who got a hand-me down from a girl that left). But the rule at our store is that if you are on service you are meant to be wearing a vest (if there is more than one supervisor on, then the main supervisor only wears the vest). I believe they have ordered vests for us (wooohoo... not, lol) but they haven't arrived yet nor did they ask me what size I wanted, lol. Townie, I'm pretty sure I saw a paper order form once upon a time... the vests were about $70 dollars but the store should pay.

Our store has 12 full-lane, 3 express, 2 smokeshop and 5 self-serve. Now that self-serve is in I can't understand how we managed to survive before! We haven't cut any staff but if we didn't have them it would be express alerts every 20 minutes, haha. We must just be getting busier. We do about 800k a week, less than that because of the refurb but it's getting busier now! We had all registers open today and it was still backing up... there's no way we will cope at Xmas.

Photos... I forgot to take one while I was at work (I was going to take a photo of the new registers but I didn't get time, very busy :p) so I took one after I got home - excuse my tired appearance.

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Towwwwwnie's had a haircut :)
Also, sup with all these Woolies QTs? The guys at my store are lacking... with a couple of exceptions, lol :shy:

Also, Harry, links to Sims Woolies plz kthx.

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
wow that is so small! only 1 express and 1 full open!? lol
we have 9 full/bulk, 4 express, 5 self-serve, 2 smoke shop and 3 in liquor.
today was very busy I'm talking like all bulk open at some stages! we usually only have 1-2 on express now because a lot of people go to self serve!
We have 6 Express, 16 full, 2 smoke shop, 2 liquor.
Not enough, need more. Weekends = most open and still crazy lines :(
Today we had staff on EVERY register and it was still busy as :( damn express alerts lol

SS-champion

HSC
Craven... any chance of you getting a photo of your service department especially the service desk with express attached? We used to have the attached/staggered express until we got the refurb and now it's seperate and we all miss it so much!... also what order is yours in eg. ours is: full-lanes, service desk, self-serve then express.

Craven

HSC
Yeah, I'll try :p our smokeshop lady was really hoping the smokeshop would be seperate from express but nope it's all attached, haha. I was thinking, GOOD, because I'd hate to have to be running smokes to express as well as the big lanes.. I'd be run off my feet :p

Bakery / Entrance / Trolley bay / self-serve / express-service desk / full lanes / promo area (XMAS taking place now!) / freezers

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Craven... any chance of you getting a photo of your service department especially the service desk with express attached? We used to have the attached/staggered express until we got the refurb and now it's seperate and we all miss it so much!... also what order is yours in eg. ours is: full-lanes, service desk, self-serve then express.
It isn't like this by any chance? Apologies for the crappy photo.

Craven

HSC
Ooh yes, just like that. There is NO room for even a full basket, haha. You can fit so much in a basket though :p

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I want my store to get the refurb done already.
It's so ugly.
And I want the smaller 3x3 dome bakery tables, easier to manage than our 4x4 tables. We're a bakery promo store, so we have so many fixed specials it's awful to have to keep the larger tables full.
As far as specials tables go, we have: 6 tables of daily bread lines, 4 tables propbake, 4 tables instore cakes, 4 tables buttercup/tiptop (plus 7 full bays of bread, 3 bays of cakes)
We have permanent specials on Mudcakes ($4.48 ea), Large Custard Tarts ($1.98 ea), Dusted Mock Sponges ($3.28 ea), 680g loaves ($1.95 ea), 6pk rolls ($1.95 ea), 12pk donuts ($1.95 ea), crusty half sticks ($1.49 ea).
Damn specials :(

danberg

HSC
oooh thanks for the photo, one of the things i've been dreading for refurb is all the express lanes separate, i reckon it would be a disaster- we hav no dedicated 'smokeshop'(though we never use this term) person.
plus it makes sense with cigarettes etc. - though it will probs mean ill be guilt tripped into serving when im supervising at busy times, but ill live

Craven

HSC
Make sure you tell them you have no training because if your store cares about it they'll know you're not meant to work in there without at least basic Fresh Food training (fresh food practices, hygienic, no-brainer stuff). But otherwise, they might desperate enough that they won't care. I used to get regular deli shifts and I never had any other training than just "this is how to use the scale" and learnt from there, lol. It'll take getting used to trying to weigh out amounts. Some customers will ask for 225g exactly of ham, or others will go "a handful" or enough for "a couple of sandwiches".. ehh.. customers never really know how much they want so just grab and put it on the scale and see how much it is and check with them, lol. The staff in there will show you how to use the scale - enter the plu, tare if required, enter to print label, and wrap the product - since you've never done it before they will probably make you just serve rather than do the other odd jobs like cleaning (because everyone hates serving).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)