Section 3 - Extended Response (1 Viewer)

Venom.

HSC
They asked for ONE related text. Most people that memorise essays expect TWO related texts to be asked. So those that had a prepared response will have had to bs a bit or have a shorter response.
Fair point. I had to bs for about a page and a half.

Venom.

HSC
hey guys so how exactly did you interpret the 'understanding' part.

we studied skrzynecki and i mainly talked about his sense of alienation from society because he didn't understand the australian culture, and his disconnection from his polish heritage, again cos he didn't understand it... is that right? :eek:
I linked it into my essay; which is sorta like - understanding of one's identity provides a causative link with the ability to belong.

So yeah Understand identity = belonging :)

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
Sucks to be you people who prepare essays... i don't know how that is testing your ability to answer a question
I loved the question... i just picked the first two skrzynecki poems that jumped into my head and they fit perfectly! also the one related txt was a god-send... i just had time to write 2 pages on it then sum up and she was all PENS DOWN mo-fo's

just sayin.

pman

Banned
HSC
Absolutely loved this question, One of my admats was about learning to be a non-conformist, perfect stuff

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
I hated the question, I thought it was too limiting anbd I only managed to churn 12 pages out for Section III because I couldn't write much for such a stupid question :evilfire:
Only 12 pages? Boohoo.

Noob.

/sarcasm

EDIT: To be honest, I don't see why everyone is so surprised about the question asking for one related text. The 2008 paper, to my knowledge, is the only paper to have asked for at least two, and that was the final year of Journeys so it should have been hard anyway.
This is the first year of Belonging, so it's only fair that the question is relatively simple.

Last edited:

scottieboy11

HSC
i totally thought it was about the audience having a basis understanding to understand the different ideas of belonging explored within the texts...

fail.

Venom.

HSC
Sucks to be you people who prepare essays... i don't know how that is testing your ability to answer a question
I loved the question... i just picked the first two skrzynecki poems that jumped into my head and they fit perfectly! also the one related txt was a god-send... i just had time to write 2 pages on it then sum up and she was all PENS DOWN mo-fo's

just sayin.
Its generally only done because people haven't paid enough attention to the subject all through the year, and hence don't have a thorough understanding of their texts. I.e., me. :chainsaw:

mrslappy

HSC
Only did one related text but my bias was probably about two thirds the related one third prescribed. what's the best you can go from there do you reckon?

jgm1806

HSC
Is it just me or did this question seem really simple, but too simple that it was a little confusing. Because i remember going over all the different influences on belonging and the positives and negatives and this question only dealt with understanding. But it was still pretty good i think, 13 or 14/15.

Those who did Skzynecki, how many prescribed did you use?
I used 3 Prescribed for Skzynecki, 10 Mary street i got confused in, but St Pats and In the folk museum fit good
1 related, Dead Poets Society fit so good:hat:

brookl

HSC
I actually really liked this section.
Not too easy, not too hard...

when i saw 'relate to only one text', i had to re-read the question a few times and take a few deep breaths. it so wasnt what i was expecting

I did skrzynecki. I used 10 mary street, in the folk muesum, st pats and migrant hostel

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i think i went alrite :)

the question wasnt as bad as i was expecting!

supun47

HSC
i did peter skrzynecki poetry as well (leant bout it at skool). Now, thats not our related text is it? i hope not at least.... coz it was ONE related text. i wrote about TWO peter skrzynecki poems

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I found this on the BOS website a few nights ago. Maybe it will help with that question... What if I did 2 related texts!?

"Responses that exceed stated parameters
In some examinations, particularly projects and performances, there are limits placed on students’ work. This limit may be a limit on the size, time or word length of the work. Where a student’s response exceeds the stated parameters, a mark penalty may be imposed.

In written examinations, some questions indicate a limit on the length of the response. Overly long responses generally are not penalised because the student is considered to have already imposed a limit on the time available to answer other questions
."

In my response, I did Feliks Skrzynecki, 10 Mary Street and Stand By Me. I couldn't have asked for a better question. Expecting at least a 14/15, if not full marks, for this section. =]

driaxx

HSC
I prepared an essay but adapted it quite well I think.

The module specifies the four aspects of belonging are 'acceptance, relationships, identity and understanding' which means it was easy to mould it around and argue/agree that although understanding was an aspect, the others are needed to define belonging.

Mysterious X

HSC
Smashed the heck out of it but wasted too much time on it.. I extended my points for Prescribed and Related to keep reflecting the question but man wrote way too much.
Quoted for truth, wrote about 8 pages on it (and needed to write more but cut down). As a historically weak English student, I was incredibly happy with how I did on this though; I reproduced and tweaked my practise response from the day before that my teacher said could have been a band 6 :D (by tweak, I mean change from 2 related texts to one and fit my original essay into the question :) )

Last edited:

3p1c f41lur3

HSC
could be worse, tho i'd have to say it was a bit open ended for the prescribed text... ppl could use just 1 prescribed... even exam supervisors had 2 phone the BoS to answer our question of "how many we should use?"..

the reply was " Just do your best ".... thats BoS.. Thanks a f*cking load

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)