General Thoughts: Mathematics (1 Viewer)

sophiewoodhouse

HSC
WTF was up with the decay question about radium? I swear there wasn't even enough information to complete the answer! That test was dodgy...
I completely agree, obviously I'm just retarded, but I deliberated on it for seriously an age. hurray band 1.

sophiewoodhouse

HSC
wow... what can i say.. what the hell is wrong with all of you? that exam was easy.. by far the easiest exam in the past 5 years... i have done every past paper from 1921 onwards and this was easy peasy... Q10 was a joke, finished it in 5 minutes... why did everyone think it was so hard? 115+/120 for sure :):) i love math
you sicken me.

Scotty101

HSC
since the ra question said it took 1600 yrs for the mass to halve, couldnt u just choose 2 numbers.. eg go 500=1000e^1600k.. which works out to like k=0.004 something??? pls say yes...

HSC
THe question where it said

find the period. Pissed me off

we never learn t that in class so i drew a picture of a chick with blood and wrote.

here it is ---------> :) :chainsaw:

daniieee

HSC
This is definitely up there with the 2003 paper...
I'm thinking I'll probs get high 90s (pleaseeeeeee *puppy eyes*)
I know I lost atleast 14marks (only had time to do up to q10 c, skipped: 9b part v, 7b part iii, 6c part ii, 4c part v)

The rest of the marks lost is all subject to any of my mistakes :)
Jeebus our minds are very alike. I quickly checked the exam paper just now and those are almost exactly the same ones I had problems with. High five lol.

THe question where it said

find the period. Pissed me off

we never learn t that in class so i drew a picture of a chick with blood and wrote.

here it is ---------> :) :chainsaw:
LOL you serious? If the marker is female she won't appreciate it much.

tylerjames333

HSC
that maths test was royally fucked.

it didn't even compare to past HSC papers, it was really difficult!

its as if someone decided to make a 2 and 3 unit paper.

im not sure what the board of studies were thinking by making the test that hard... i know its fucked my chances of a decent ATAR.

makes me feel better knowing everyone else hated it though.

kmt10

HSC
WTF was up with making us draw triangles inside triangles.... that was different?

fuck i no!!! easy as, but useless as shit. but dont remember doing that in the last 2 years.

and the one probability one bout the car park. apart from the fact probability went in one ear n out the other, how friggan hard is it to keep track of ur car on a 3 level car park.

i left at least 46 marks unattempted. so quit ur winging bout getting band 4s.

woo for fail!!

hecheeseman

HSC
And what was with that simpson's rule question it said use six sub intervals but there were 7 values so how could u divide it ? confusing
you use 6 sub intervals but 7 values, like if there was 1 interval, their would be 2 values :)

Benskies

HSC
horrible exam!

BUT the radium question wasnt wrong, once you found k, you need to substitute in

Q = 1/3A

into the equation, so you ended up with

1/3 = e ^ blah blah blah

and then log blah blah blah.

but anyway, hard test, question 10 was actually pretty easy but some other questions were NOT.......

steve09

HSC
since the ra question said it took 1600 yrs for the mass to halve, couldnt u just choose 2 numbers.. eg go 500=1000e^1600k.. which works out to like k=0.004 something??? pls say yes...

hope so thats what i did lol :D

Mattww

HSC
I thought the probability question with the guy and the car park was hilarious. I was chuckling to myself.

The splitting of the triangle - isn't that a brain teaser question? lol.

HSC
I thought the probability question with the guy and the car park was hilarious. I was chuckling to myself.

The splitting of the triangle - isn't that a brain teaser question? lol.
haha i laughed when i read it too but only because of what an idiot the guy in he question was =P

MichaelSy

HSC
2009 was HARD.

I speak on the half of a 2 unit candidate not 3. Hopefully there is some concilation for being a 2 unit student and not a 3? This exam was definately written to test 3 unit students.

Q.1 First of all, the put a sketching question in Q1. The first time ever. They also coupled this question with a tanget question involving exponentials. Combining two chapters into one and we are only in Q1. Also they put a trigonometric question into Q1!!!!

Q2 Was sensible, still the Sigma Notation was confusing at first look. Q2 was faily balanced. There was difficulty though with Integration being pushed to the limit.

Q3. Was easy. They completely cut down this year on Coordinate Geometry! A difficult Simpsons rule question which some may have found unfair.

Q4. Involving discriminants was failrly easily with the First geometric queston asking you to prove triangles. My favourite (which I got wrong) was to ask you to draw 4 iso triangles out of 1. Pity that I didn't use the example above which is what they wanted you to do.

Q5. This was hard for 4 marks using the X and Y intercepts in Geometry. As for the probability question, that was confusing. The wording was confusing and could have been used better. And of course the clincher involving area of segment. This was still difficult as they included heavy trigonometric identities in.

Q6. Fair but tricky Volume question, no complaints. EVERY year there is a question involving growth and decay. This year they tried to spice it up BIG TIME. They used fractions, complicated language and did not give the value of A,Q nor K. This was a very difficult decay question, definately the hardest to date. Part C was just ridiculously stupid. They gave a ridiculous question involving theme park rides which just confused the hell out of everyone and really only involved simultaneous equations.

Q7. A difficult but reasonable Velocity question. Where this question varies greatly compared to other years is the inclusion of Exponentials, Algebra and Quadratic Subsition. There was A LOT of content hidden very well in this question. I am not even going to begin on Part B, this was confusing from the Get go.

Q8. Easier than 6 and 7, involved a little sketching etc. The financial question was over worded but fair.

Q9. Very very hard probability question + A completely fucking stupidly worded Maximum and Minimum problem. Definately orientated to 3 unit students, the differentiation required was fucked.

Q10. Not Attempted - Was told that it wasn't as hard as previous years.

What made this test the hardest this century: Very very very wordy questions, a lot more emphasis on the scenario of the question (possibly a different author). The wierd and bizzare mix-match of topics and they way in which they were hidden. The ammount of work relative to the marks were completely miss judged, no one had enough time. The removal of the typical stationary point question and having that spread all over the exam was a bad move.

The most Difficult Exam Paper post 1999?
M

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)