9 C
10 B
11 B
12 D
13 B
14 C
15 A
Those are my answers and they're the exact same as the guy behind me :S
I got the same as you except for 11 which I thought was D, I could be wrong though. Multiple choice was quite tricky I thought.

00iCon

HSC
I got the same as you except for 11 which I thought was D, I could be wrong though. Multiple choice was quite tricky I thought.
11 is definately NOT D. the force on the wire is constant and up, until the commutator switches it.

08joel08

HSC
in that case i got the same as you, i now know nine is (a) i didnt read electrons, and assumed current also i got (a) for 13

is anyone on my side that 13 is (a)?
my reasons are that electrons dont experience attraction to one another, and that even if ure gonna call them bonding together attraction its not as a result of low temps and is a result of low temps affect on the lattice, are people saying that (a) is wrong because there are still small lattice vibrations? from my understanding a metal in superconducting has movement but no vibrations can anyone explain/elaborate?

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
11 is definately NOT D. the force on the wire is constant and up, until the commutator switches it.
The wire is perpendicular to the magnetic field, at that moment in time the motor would rely on momentum to push it to get it started, where torque is also at a maximum. Plus, the force on AB is actually down, I'm pretty sure of it.

EDIT: Just noticed the arrow indicating it's up, but the current indicates otherwise?

Ostentatious

HSC
in that case i got the same as you, i now know nine is (a) i didnt read electrons, and assumed current also i got (a) for 13

is anyone on my side that 13 is (a)?
my reasons are that electrons dont experience attraction to one another, and that even if ure gonna call them bonding together attraction its not as a result of low temps and is a result of low temps affect on the lattice, are people saying that (a) is wrong because there are still small lattice vibrations? from my understanding a metal in superconducting has movement but no vibrations can anyone explain/elaborate?
The lattice still has small vibrations at low temperatures.

According to BCS theory, an electron will attract protons behind it, causing a small lattice distortion that creates a small positive field, attracting another electron. The electrons then exchange phonons and move as one particle, contributing to superconductivity unimpeded by the lattice, and the process continues - hence Cooper Pairs.

00iCon

HSC
well, in 11, (D) starts at zero, so wrong. its not asking for the force perpendicular to the coil, but the force ONLY on AB.

for 13 i got B but im not too sure...

Last edited:

00iCon

HSC
The lattice still has small vibrations at low temperatures.

According to BCS theory, an electron will attract protons behind it, causing a small lattice distortion that creates a small positive field, attracting another electron. The electrons then exchange phonons and move as one particle, contributing to superconductivity unimpeded by the lattice, and the process continues - hence Cooper Pairs.
the way i tought was that the Cooper pairs actually CREATE the vibrations, so not A. not C or D obviously. so B.

shady145

Banned
HSC
well, in 11, (D) starts at zero, so wrong. its not asking for the force perpendicular to the coil, but the force ONLY on AB.

for 13 i got B but im not too sure...
true... i fell into that trap in trial dammit

Ostentatious

HSC
I don't get it? Isn't the force on a current carrying conductor F=BIlsin(theta)? That would mean force is proportional to the sine curve and thus be one.

Macdwg

Professional Mad Lad
HSC
This is what i have.

1. c
2. a
3. c
4. d
5. c
6. a
7. c
8. c
9. c
10. b
11. b
12. d
13. b
14. c
15. a

kieranjackson91

HSC
force is proportional to sintheta... therefore its D
lol ummm yeah but what is theta? hmm i wonder if it could be? yes it its! the angle between the conducter and the field which is :O always 90 degrees hence :O sintheta =1 hence answer is B (current switches)

Ostentatious

HSC
No, the angle isn't 90 it is 0. sin0 = 0. Even with your reasoning you're wrong, because torque would have to be a cos curve with your reasoning. torque is not current. With your reasoning, the answer would be A, because B, I and l remain constant.

EDIT: OK I got it, the angle is 90, making the answer A.

EDIT2: I think I got jackson's answer now, problem solved ^_^

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
lol ummm yeah but what is theta? hmm i wonder if it could be? yes it its! the angle between the conducter and the field which is :O always 90 degrees hence :O sintheta =1 hence answer is B (current switches)
yea i know

kieranjackson91

HSC
1.C
2.A
3.C
4.D
5.B (I thought too much about it, should be C)
6.A
7.C
8.C
9.A
10.B
11.B
12.D
13.B
14.C
15.A

14/15 dam

max powers

HSC
I hope 11. is B

I put that only because I got the exact question wrong the day before (what luck, huh).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)