The Transistors In Australia question (1 Viewer)

whitnall8

HSC
I'm just thinking back to that transistors question and im wondering what everyone else wrote, coz i have two questions about it:

1) do u think i'll lose a mark for not actually mentioning australia, just for doing the standard, generic answer about why valves were replaced

2) Did anyone else mention germanium or silicon or was it just solid state devices vs. thermionic valves

helper

HSC
N/A
At the moment I am guessing but I would say there will have to be an Australian relationship to it. It also will have to be specific applications of transistors in communications.

Eg. Reduce staffing, lengthen ability to send long distance calls etc.

whitnall8

HSC
btw i was reading the "predicted questions" thread for the 2009 thread and somebody picked the Large Hadron Collider question, but apart from that everyone was pretty off from what the questions actually were

whitnall8

HSC
I can remember writing, "use of transistors in mobile phones and laptops has enabled instantaneous communication between people without landlines or in cars" but i'm not sure whether that will cut it.

i should probably stop worrying

TechnIx

HSC
N/A
Good idea. Dont worry, I did the same thing as you, I had a good decent response and forgot to mention Australia. And I'm sure many other people did exactly the same thing too lol.

studybuddy09

HSC
I went with a broad approach
I said thermionic were replaced and allowed:

Electronic exchanges for landlines <------this one i bsed!

Mobile telephony

Internet and email

was it 3 marks or 4 btw?

Thecorey0

HSC
I spoke to my teacher - who is a marker, about this after the exam. She said that you most probably won't get full marks unless you link it specifically to Australia, since the question mentions it specifically. At the time, the only thing she could think of was to link in large distances for communication, and how that is now possible and more efficient since the invention.

studybuddy09

HSC
I spoke to my teacher - who is a marker, about this after the exam. She said that you most probably won't get full marks unless you link it specifically to Australia, since the question mentions it specifically. At the time, the only thing she could think of was to link in large distances for communication, and how that is now possible and more efficient since the invention.
Same with head of physics at my school. The distance has to be mentioned for full marks i think...

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
I referred to the heat resistance of solid state devices such as transistors and related it to the unpredictable Australian climate xD

m1tch37

HSC
I referred to the CSIRO's development of the FFT chip and how they used it to basically invent WiFi; vastly improving communication in Australia and all around the world.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I referred to the heat resistance of solid state devices such as transistors and related it to the unpredictable Australian climate xD
Transistors actually fail at high temperatures
Has your computer ever overheated and stopped working/become really slow? Yeah that's because the transistors on your microprocessor/GPU are heating up

Not sure if HSC takes that into account lol

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Ok guys I ssaid how thermionic devices work, why they were replaced, said waht transistors were and there advantages over thermionic, then I said it allowed us to get computers for good prices, and they were small because of the microchips.

2/3?

Baggygreen408

HSC
I think its good to mention Australia's geographical isolation: valve technology required landline telephone calls via a manual switchaboard, decreasing efficency for already long distance calls

shady145

Banned
HSC
I can remember writing, "use of transistors in mobile phones and laptops has enabled instantaneous communication between people without landlines or in cars" but i'm not sure whether that will cut it.

i wonder what they would do to that word, my teacher would put a cross through it

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i wonder what they would do to that word, my teacher would put a cross through it
My teacher would cross it out and probably mark it wrong >.<"

But he's a nazi and i'm sure HSC markers will be much nicer XD

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Transistors actually fail at high temperatures
Has your computer ever overheated and stopped working/become really slow? Yeah that's because the transistors on your microprocessor/GPU are heating up

Not sure if HSC takes that into account lol
Shouldn't be too big a problem, since I related it to why they replaced thermionic valves :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)