Account Closed
HSC
N/A
whats your student number??
203250112i

"ill just show my working and then guess the final numerical answer"

LOLOLOLOLOL
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!
Lemme tell you something. I'm ranked about 2nd at my school for Physics ;) My Physics teacher used to be a senior marker for the HSC and he says its fine... he also has never used a calculator for Physics and he used to teach the OLD course, which was more numerical. So make your mind up from there ;)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
203250112i

Lemme tell you something. I'm ranked about 2nd at my school for Physics ;) My Physics teacher used to be a senior marker for the HSC and he says its fine... he also has never used a calculator for Physics and he used to teach the OLD course, which was more numerical. So make your mind up from there ;)
yeh what school, fukin jj carhill or randwick boys
and your teacher encourages this, he is just a big a knob as you

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
That was uncalled for, random hit the nail on the head with what he said about you
Sorry Mr Addikaye or w/e the hell your name is.

I don't know why people have such a big problem that I don't use a calculator. Big deal, get over it, not everyone is good at using one...

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Sorry Mr Addikaye or w/e the hell your name is.

I don't know why people have such a big problem that I don't use a calculator. Big deal, get over it, not everyone is good at using one...
But you didn't need to make such a snyde comment, it was out of context.

Ability to work numbers without calculator doesn't need MX2 knowledge nor does it require an outstanding mathematical ability. It's just remembering significant results and manipulate others to results that are known by you.

It can be done by many students (MX2 or not), we're questioning the quality of the answer (i.e. whether markers would accept it) and the practicality.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
About the 4th time you've worked your awesome ranks into an argument. You really must suck coming up with a logical thought rationale if you've gotta pull out: "I'm good at this, came 2nd" or the "you suck, you don't even do MX2". Your snide remark was totally uncalled for - so what if the person doesn't do MX2?

But yeah, FYI, the marking scheme on a lot of questions (not all) states that there must be a correct answer. Doesn't matter if all the working is correct. That being said, I doubt that 'squareroot 69' being somewhere between 8 and 9 classifies as 'working'.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
About the 4th time you've worked your awesome ranks into an argument.
Prove it.

Your snide remark was totally uncalled for - so what if the person doesn't do MX2?
Umm excuse me? But he is the troll who decided to start this about calculators.

But yeah, FYI, the marking scheme on a lot of questions (not all) states that there must be a correct answer. Doesn't matter if all the working is correct. That being said, I doubt that 'squareroot 69' being somewhere between 8 and 9 classifies as 'working'.
No, I did not right down that sqrt of 69 is somewhere between 8 and 9. I would've written down 8, because I know that it is closer to 8 than 9. I was just illustrating how I do it.

You also have to realise that before 1995 calculators were expensive, so not all students had one. Consequently they gave the value of 'g' as 10 to avoid any disadvantages to those that didn't have calculators.

Aerath, do you have a problem with me not using a calculator?

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Troll or not a troll, he made some genuine points and you're comment was still just a direct attack against him.

Read the bottom paragraph of my above comment, does that not explain it to you?

And if you illustrate to us, that you didn't need a calculator, use a better example than rt (69)= "about 8" next time (cause i'm guessing you'll manage to bring it up again, similar to your rank)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Prove it.

No, I did not right down that sqrt of 69 is somewhere between 8 and 9. I would've written down 8, because I know that it is closer to 8 than 9. I was just illustrating how I do it.

You also have to realise that before 1995 calculators were expensive, so not all students had one. Consequently they gave the value of 'g' as 10 to avoid any disadvantages to those that didn't have calculators.

its not 1995 anymore knobjockey

hopefully you get the lowest mark for being a smartass and not using a cal.

one of two things

1. you are that retarded that you cant use a calculator or

2. you are that arrogant that you dont want to use a cal

both ways ur an asshole

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
its not 1995 anymore knobjockey
How long did it take you to figure that one out? Did you have to use a calculator for that? :p

hopefully you get the lowest mark for being a smartass and not using a cal.

one of two things

1. you are that retarded that you cant use a calculator or

2. you are that arrogant that you dont want to use a cal

both ways ur an asshole
and then that makes you asshole^n where n--> infinity

which approaches infinity (without using a calculator :) )

random-1005

Banned
HSC
How long did it take you to figure that one out? Did you have to use a calculator for that? :p

and then that makes you asshole^n where n--> infinity

which approaches infinity (without using a calculator :) )
you want me to pound you smartass, where do you live?

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Well, what jm is saying is not entirely false. Some questions, if you look at the marking scheme, you only need to correctly subsititute values in (so even if you have the inaccurate values, you can still get full marks if u sub them in correctly).

But some questions the marking scheme states

"States the correct value" in which you do need the exact value.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
"States the correct value" in which you do need the exact value.
I kind of disagree.

You see with HSC level Physics if you round to the nearest sig fig or 2 sig fig correctly then it's fine, which is what I do in most of calculations. I've never come across a question where it says find the "exact value" or "correct to 4 d.p." etc, because they're not testing your maths in a sense. They're testing your ability to apply maths in solving Physics problems.

By the way did you get my PM from before?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nope. I do have a problem with you putting people down purely on the basis that they do 3U Maths, and not 4U.

And I think darkchild may know a -little- more about Physics than you.

As for the proof, I cbf trawling through posts, but yeah, you've done it many a time before. I've even been pos repped by people for calling you out.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Take for example 2008 HSC.

17a) the marking scheme says: "States the correct value". Doesn't matter if your substitution line is correct, if your answer is wrong, you just don't get the marks. Game over.

On the other hand, question 19c), you'd be absolutely correct. All you need is the substitution line. Same with 23b).

Source: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2008exams/pdf_doc/physics-notes-08.pdf

I forgot to mention above, that I just don't think it's possible for any student of HSC level to do the Physics exams without a calculator. And even if they could, why would you? You spend 2 mins more trying to get an inaccurate answer, than the kid who typed it into his/her calculator, where they'd get an accurate one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)