• Total voters

philphie

Banned
HSC
who believes in them? talking multi-cellular highly evolved organisms

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Yeh I can't see why they wouldn't, I mean we evolved from some weird goo.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
microbiobial more likely then "highly evolved".

But i don't buy any of the UFO encounters. We would be talking other planets.

BlackDragon

HSC
Oh, yeah, anyone who claims that they have had close encounters with organisms not from this planet on this planet, or that they saw the ship of a non-earth species, is just an idiot. But the possibility of some form of complex life existing outside earth is extremely high.

pman

Banned
HSC
Life exists (in some form or other) out their, we may one day communicate with it but it would take years or centuries to get a reply, will we ever meet any in person? Not on your life

philphie

Banned
HSC
microbiobial more likely then "highly evolved".

But i don't buy any of the UFO encounters. We would be talking other planets.
Oh, yeah, anyone who claims that they have had close encounters with organisms not from this planet on this planet, or that they saw the ship of a non-earth species, is just an idiot. But the possibility of some form of complex life existing outside earth is extremely high.
fuck youse. i am a faithful scientologist and without those encounters you and i would not be here right now!!!

badquinton304

HSC
First off I do not really think this is really a matter of belief but more of probability.
To know if it is likely or unlikely for aliens (complex) to exist we need to know the probability of a planet having the minimum necessary factors within the right range for a planet able to support complex life. We also need to factor in that even if these factors are in the correct range it takes millions/billions of years for life to emerge and further hundreds of millions for the simple life that has emerged to eventually reach a stage where there are more complex, intelligent organisms capable of civilization. Furthermore civilization may often be short lived due to exhaustion of resources or world war.
We then need to have an estimate of the number of planets to find the probability of complex life in the universe.
To take a stab in the dark I would say that mostt likely there are several planets in the universe which support very simple life forms and intelligent life either exists and is extremely rare or intelligent life has existed but wasnt quite intelligent enough to stop its own destruction.

I think Stephen Hawking has written a paper on this it should be somewhere on the internet. He seems to be fairly certain that liens exist. I think i have it on my comp (on laptop now).

Last edited:
HSC
considering just from what we can see, there's what, like .. ten billion galaxies? most with hundreds of billions of stars, tons of which have multiple planets .. you'd have to be a complete and utter fuckhead to think this is the only one with some kind of life on it

but like, the weirdo little green glowing dudes that show up in movies and abduct people? probably not lol

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
nah, dun think highly evovled multi cellular beings exist.. as for bacteria nd shit like that? maybe..

HSC
Uni Grad
Well we exist, chances are there is life out there somewhere else as well. Despite this I believe we'll die out before locating them let alone making any kind of contact with them.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I am very ambivalent about this issue.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
"There are 400 billion stars out there, just in our galaxy alone. If just one out of a million of those had planets, and just one in a million of those had life, and just one out of a million of those had intelligent life, there would be literally millions of civilizations out there."

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
who believes in them? talking multi-cellular highly evolved organisms
well they don't necessarily have to talk, they could communicate via other means
and aliens despite Sci-fi might not actually be complex but could also be simple or unevolved organisms. Couldn't there also be uni-cellular aliens?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)