• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bridging courses (1 Viewer)

domoku

HSC
Hello! I have some questions about bridging courses

I need to take some sort of chem bridging course because I didn't take chem at high school... so I was just wondering, do people take a bridging course at a uni that they aren't planning on attending? (e.g. I take a chem bridging course at USYD, but decide to go to UNSW) And if so, is one bridging course better than the other, or are they the same?

Also... even though I'm planning on taking the most basic units of chem at whichever uni I end up going to, how well do bridging courses make up for not studying that particular subject at school? (especially at USYD and UNSW) I'm worried I'll still struggle a lot with chem... :(

ben150891

HSC
i went to the info day at usyd and they said you dont have to be enrolled at the uni to do the bridging course. so you can do the bridging course at usyd you dont have to go to usyd.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Also... even though I'm planning on taking the most basic units of chem at whichever uni I end up going to, how well do bridging courses make up for not studying that particular subject at school? (especially at USYD and UNSW) I'm worried I'll still struggle a lot with chem... :(
Well...the UNSW one just basically hits you with a massive amount of important chemistry concepts / knowledge in the space of a month (a few days per week). I didn't do high school chem, but needed to do a chem subject at uni, so I took the bridging course, and I'm very glad I did. I almost certainly would have failed first-year chem if I hadn't taken it. Also it helps you get used to uni life and out of holiday mode before all the other first-year students start.

domoku

HSC
Well...the UNSW one just basically hits you with a massive amount of important chemistry concepts / knowledge in the space of a month (a few days per week). I didn't do high school chem, but needed to do a chem subject at uni, so I took the bridging course, and I'm very glad I did. I almost certainly would have failed first-year chem if I hadn't taken it. Also it helps you get used to uni life and out of holiday mode before all the other first-year students start.
thanks for this information :)
i got accepted into medical science at unsw and im planning on doing the chem bridging course. however, the brochure says that there are examinations... are these compulsory? and am i at a disadvantage if i dont take them?

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
thanks for this information :)
i got accepted into medical science at unsw and im planning on doing the chem bridging course. however, the brochure says that there are examinations... are these compulsory? and am i at a disadvantage if i dont take them?
Well technically they are not compulsory. Whether you pass or fail the bridging course has absolutely no effect on the rest of your uni degree, it's main purpose is to bring you up to speed on basic chemistry. So you wouldn't have to turn up to the final exam, but it's still a good idea, and most people do - it gives you a good indication of how much information you've managed to absorb. Plus, it gets you used to the full uni experience, from lectures and tutes to studying and sitting an exam (with no handy dot point guides to memorise).

One other tip - you will need to get yourself a lab coat and some safety goggles before you start your bridging course labs, in case you weren't already aware. (Lab coats can be purchased from any of the ARC stores on campus. You can get safety glasses/goggles there too, or you can pick some up at Bunnings if you like.)

domoku

HSC
oh, i wasnt aware we had to buy lab coats and and safety goggles.. thanks again :)

NewiJapper

HSC
just out of curiousity. Would I have been able to take a bridging course at the start of my Prelim year if i made them unaware i wasnt in uni yet? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)