• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Advice (4 Viewers)

Stormey

HSC
I'll be okay with General Maths. Already done some past HSC papers on the BOS website and they were, well, tbh, Year 9 and 10 stuff.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And 2u maths builds on that, so if you can do that - you really should be able to do 2u. Still, your choice.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be okay with General Maths. Already done some past HSC papers on the BOS website and they were, well, tbh, Year 9 and 10 stuff.
has it ever occurred to you that that's the reason that you SHOULDNT do general mathematics?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
^ That's the reason I didn't pick it, for sure.

Tofuu

HSC
as some others mentioned before, no subjects are dodgey, you just need to do well enough in each (probs getting around 90's)
how you study could also aid in getting 90+ ATAR, so just do what you want, and this should motivate you to study those subjects everyday or frequently

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
as some others mentioned before, no subjects are dodgey, you just need to do well enough in each (probs getting around 90's)
how you study could also aid in getting 90+ ATAR, so just do what you want, and this should motivate you to study those subjects everyday or frequently
There are dodgy subjects. Pick one:

- 99th percentile in General Maths (Top 1% of cohort)
- 25th percentile in Maths Extension 2 (Top 75% of cohort)

If you picked the 99th percentile in General Maths, well, be prepared for this: The 25th percentile for MX2 yields a higher scaled mark.

There are dodgy subjects - and that's proof of it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There are dodgy subjects. Pick one:

- 99th percentile in General Maths (Top 1% of cohort)
- 25th percentile in Maths Extension 2 (Top 75% of cohort)

If you picked the 99th percentile in General Maths, well, be prepared for this: The 25th percentile for MX2 yields a higher scaled mark.

There are dodgy subjects - and that's proof of it.
Aren't you the kid that said you'd do statistically better if you did 12 Units rather than 10 Units?

This is the second sort of logical reasoning thought process crap that you've failed at. A kid who only has the ability of doing General Maths, should do General Maths. If this kid did 4U Maths, do you think he'd do better mark in his scaled mark? What do you think is better, 60 in General Maths or 5 4U Maths? :rolleyes:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I said it looked like it, then got shot down... please don't remind me =P

Besides, yes, if you can only do General - do General. But what I'm saying is if you're gonna take General "because it's easy and I can get super high marks in it", they should be in for a wake-up call, because they should be doing maths as their ability allows. If they think a P99 in General Maths is a good mark, and they can be doing much higher maths, they will be punished for it in scaling.

Also, I'd take the 5 in 4 unit. Just the stigma of General Maths... I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

adriano_negr0

HSC
goodluck with general maths if u do it
but i have heard alot of shit about it being an awful waste of a subject

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They don't call it a joke subject for notihng, adriano.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, I'd take the 5 in 4 unit. Just the stigma of General Maths... I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
So you'd rather get 5 in 4U, rather than 60 in General Maths, just for the prestige. You really need to get your head out of your ass. :rolleyes:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I'd probably get a high 3u mark for me to consider 4u in the first place. So I suppose it makes up for it somewhat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)