• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MATH1141 Assumed performance level (1 Viewer)

L4mbCh0p

HSC
Hi, I've accepted an offer for UNSW Electrical Engineering and have enrolled in MATH1141 (Higher Maths) as one of my first semester courses.

I have read on the website that the course assumes that you have achieved a combined mark of at least 175 in Ext 1 + Ext 2 maths. I however got slightly below that (93 in Ext 1 + 76 in Ext 2 = 169), although in retrospect I feel I could have done a little better in ext 2.

I also got an email from the faculty saying "If you got below 175 please drop down to MATH1131 while there are plenty of tutorial times available". Does anyone think I'm completely kidding myself, or could I do well in it if I work harder? Is this just an arbitrary number or is it the bare minimum? Would you say it's worth giving 1141 a try and dropping down later if it doesn't work out?

Advice would be appreciated :)

B

bluecheese

there's no harm in trying 1141 for the first few weeks as it covers 1131 material as well. if you find you're struggling you can easily drop down.

shady145

Banned
HSC
Hi, I've accepted an offer for UNSW Electrical Engineering and have enrolled in MATH1141 (Higher Maths) as one of my first semester courses.

I have read on the website that the course assumes that you have achieved a combined mark of at least 175 in Ext 1 + Ext 2 maths. I however got slightly below that (93 in Ext 1 + 76 in Ext 2 = 169), although in retrospect I feel I could have done a little better in ext 2.

I also got an email from the faculty saying "If you got below 175 please drop down to MATH1131 while there are plenty of tutorial times available". Does anyone think I'm completely kidding myself, or could I do well in it if I work harder? Is this just an arbitrary number or is it the bare minimum? Would you say it's worth giving 1141 a try and dropping down later if it doesn't work out?

Advice would be appreciated :)
ooo i only did up to 3u(46/50) and they didnt send me anything like that :s

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
183 combined score and still doing 1131, going up against those uber smart maths nerds (like on this site) scare me.

L4mbCh0p

HSC
there's no harm in trying 1141 for the first few weeks as it covers 1131 material as well. if you find you're struggling you can easily drop down.
That's probably the way I'm going, my only concern though is that most of the tutes will be full and the ones that aren't will be at the most inconvenient time possible (in accordance with murphys law).

Is there anyone who has actually done this?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well, firstly u have to ask yourself why u want to do math1141? as its not required (i think) for your course.
then if u find out that u really want to do it, then you should be fine, if you work hard i guess since your ext1 mark is pretty good and u say that you could've done better in ext2 so you'll be okay if you work.
if not, probably better to drop to math1131.

just my opinion as a high school student lol.

untouchablecuz

HSC
hey guys

i got 97 in MX1 and 96 in MX2

will it be hard to D or HD MATH1141?

also, finally another electrical engineer

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol i went shit in 4unit and 3unit and hd'd 1131 easy.

if i 1141'd i reckon i woulda hd'd that too.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Is that because you put a lot more effort into Uni than 3/4 unit though?
Yeah I guess in terms of hours and what not.

But if you consider it relatively, I pretty much did the same lol

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Well, I thought it would be way harder, and I also thought you were a super-genius. Both aren't neccesarily true though

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Well, I thought it would be way harder, and I also thought you were a super-genius. Both aren't neccesarily true though
hahaha, in a sense i don't view myself as a genius at all.

it's just that i'm perceived as a genius because other people are stupid, becasue the shit they teach in engineering really isn't hard?

ps. what program u doing

sinophile

HSC
N/A
haha, i guess im stupid then :p

im doing materials science. i might change to a BSc after one semester though.

hosay

HSC
N/A
i didnt do 4u, did onli 3u and got 48/50, and ive enrolled in higher maths, is that gonna be a problem?

L4mbCh0p

HSC
I'm thinking I'll stay enrolled in higher maths anyway and see how I go. At the end of the day it's just an arbitrary number.

Thanks to all for the advice btw.

i didnt do 4u, did onli 3u and got 48/50, and ive enrolled in higher maths, is that gonna be a problem?
After a bit of research it also says in the handbook that 140 combined in 2u/3u is also ok, so you should be right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)