not buying textbooks (1 Viewer)

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Hi everyone!

Has anyone got by by NOT buying a prescribed text? If so how and with what strategies? Borrowing from the library? Photocopies?

Thanks for your time

rx34

HSC
Don't be so cheap, just buy the textbook. If you buy it from textbookexchange, you may just pay $50 for a $110+ book. It's just not worthwhile fretting about petty money.

If you really must save that $50, then borrow the book from another university (inter-university borrowing). That way no one in that university would need it and you can keep on renewing your loan. Or try downloading torrents for ebooks (online textbooks)

Edit:Not buying textbooks for law won't work. However, it can* work for commerce

Last edited:

nottellingu

HSC
It depends on what type of leaner you are.
I'm very independent so I like have as many resources as possible so I can teach myself.
If you can absorb most of what is taught to you in lectures and tutes then you can probably get away with that + borrowing few books from the library.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've managed half my double degree without getting the textbooks for it. If you use the lecture notes well, plus some additional reading, you can get by without it. Though it does depend on the course.

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
Textbooks like Mechanics of Materials are worth getting because of the numerous examples and colours not to mention some textbooks are used again in further year courses.

But hold on you are doing B Economics/B Commerce, go back to swimming in your pile of money.
But you are inquiring about whether to buy prescribed textbooks, go shower using silver coins instead.

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Textbooks like Mechanics of Materials are worth getting because of the numerous examples and colours not to mention some textbooks are used again in further year courses.

But hold on you are doing B Economics/B Commerce, go back to swimming in your pile of money.
But you are inquiring about whether to buy prescribed textbooks, go shower using silver coins instead.
No offense, but I lol'd.

Probably because I'm poor as shit.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
In all honesty, depends on the course.

If your course needs you to do questions within a textbook for tute work (and more importantly, they mark you on it), then get the damn book otherwise you'll be fucked if you can't get ahold of it elsewhere.

Some courses also don't need textbooks.

Better yet, attend all your week 1 lectures and read the course outline to determine whether its worth it. I've found that with all my quantitative courses, textbooks are necessary.

Tim035

HSC
ilectures + google were all I needed to ace most exams, and if there was ever a concept I was finding really hard to understand utorrent usually found me an electronic copy of the textbook.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
um most of the courses ive done do use the textbook for tute questions and some have been marked.

dawdlex3

HSC
If you have really, really nice friends, they might let you photocopy parts of the textbooks.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
freebookspot.in

That is an awesome site...

I found one of my textbooks on there! Wew!

Beege

HSC
I've just scored myself a marketing textbook for $20 :headbang:

henry08

HSC
N/A
Freebookspot.in is a crap site. As mentioend above, uTorrent and Google are far better ways to find soem textbooks. Note: Many Australian author textbooks will not be able to be found online as no one cares enough about them.

I went to the UNSW bookshop the other day, and they only had half of the textbooks I needed in stock so far.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
If the bookshop runs out of stock, can they order the books for you at their price (as as far as I know they are *slightly* cheaper than many other places)?
Yeah, they take 10% of most items.

I only have two prescribed text books, one I found on freebookstop.in and the other one I can't find anywhere :S

henry08

HSC
N/A
Not sure, I just assume they will get more in stock soon.

dawdlex3

HSC
It's still relatively early to be getting textbooks, most people don't head to the UNSW Bookshop until O-Week or the first few weeks of uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)