• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics Ext 1 / Ext 2 (1 Viewer)

bouncing

HSC
Hey guys,

I know that the ext 2 maths kids generally do REALLY well in their hsc's with atars normally above 90+ but is it the same for ext 1 kids? I do ext 1 only, and i want to obtain an ATAR of 90+ i'm just about to go check out some calculators.. any stories for motivation??

ps.. do you guys all know what uni course you want to do?
i currently have no idea.. well i do but they're just things id like to do (not necessarily things that i think i can achieve :()

HSC
Uni Grad
The scaled mean is about the same but Extension 2 attracts smarter students resulting in a generally better cohort and generally better overall HSC results.

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
good point that, also, again, awesome sig +1

and yeah im also finding that the decorated students with 90+ ATARS do 4U math, honestly a little disconcerting

bouncing

HSC
yeah
damn i just used the umax calculator that matrix education tutoring offers and with all 90's in my subjects i'll be getting around a 95 (keeping in mind that it is unlikely i will get all 90's) possibly in ext 1 maths

hmm, its true you dont need maths but with all that epic scaling... it makes it so much easier (not saying that 4u maths is an easy subject)

kcqn93

HSC
you shouldn't assume ALL 4unit kids are smart... :uhoh:

bouncing

HSC
those who are more motivated and committed? (this is coming from personal experience as i did 4u for a while - too lazy :()

twistedrebel

HSC
Majority of MX1 students do quite well in the HSC aswell, but there is also plenty of dumbasses in MX1, alot more than MX2.

To get 90 (e3) in MX1 you need about 55-59 raw. (last year it was 57, it can vary alot in some years). 57/84 =~68%

muzeikchun852

HSC
Hey guys,

I know that the ext 2 maths kids generally do REALLY well in their hsc's with atars normally above 90+ but is it the same for ext 1 kids? I do ext 1 only, and i want to obtain an ATAR of 90+ i'm just about to go check out some calculators.. any stories for motivation??

ps.. do you guys all know what uni course you want to do?
i currently have no idea.. well i do but they're just things id like to do (not necessarily things that i think i can achieve :()
here are the story for motivation:

my cousin did her hsc a few years ago and she did 3units english, 3units maths, 3units japanese and physics. she's definitely not a math-ie person but she did 3units maths and physics purely for the scaling. she aced them all and she worked very hard for it. as a result: she got 99.8 UAI.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know what I'm doing at uni - something maths and science. If all else fails, B Adv Math at UoW, then if I win more B Sci (Adv Math) at UNSW, then if I win more, USyd then the Holy Grail MBBS at USyd if I really really really try.

And I believe most 99.95ers do 3 unit Maths at least.

luv2luvurmama

HSC
Dumb ass thread, you can get good marks with any subjects, just depends on the students. It so happens that the smarter students do 3u/4u maths.
Anyways, most people who get 99+ are ext english, history, biology, society culture type anyway.

bouncing

HSC
Dumb ass thread, you can get good marks with any subjects, just depends on the students. It so happens that the smarter students do 3u/4u maths.
Anyways, most people who get 99+ are ext english, history, biology, society culture type anyway.
jeez..
and yeah i already know the first part of what you said
is the later true.. i thought it was the students that did 4u maths, phys, chem

mioumiou

HSC
jeez..
and yeah i already know the first part of what you said
is the later true.. i thought it was the students that did 4u maths, phys, chem
It's either 3U/4U maths, languages(continuers and Extension), other Extension subjects or the sciences......

HSC
Uni Grad
Most of the 99+ students I've spoken to do 4U Maths + Phys + Chem, some do a combination of the higher languages (Latin, Ancient Greek).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Do Aboriginal Studies and Food Technology, they will do wonders to your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)