8 Foods that fight Stress (1 Viewer)

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
By Sara Reistad-Long

Chow down on eats that tame hunger and reduce anxiety

Eat It to Beat ItWe all know that tension can wreak havoc on our eating patterns. But the right (healthy!) foods can often help tame mindless munching and cravings and, better yet, actually lower overall anxiety and its symptoms. Eight of our favorites:
Dark Chocolate
High in flavonoids, which are lauded for their relaxing properties (chamomile tea is another great source), chocolate also contains phenethylamine, a chemical that enhances your mood. The darker the chocolate, the more healthy substances you're getting in your diet, so look for bars that are 70 percent cacao or higher.
Skim Milk
Turns out that a glass of warm milk really is calming. One study found that women who drank four or more servings of lowfat or skim milk every day were about half as likely to experience stress-related PMS symptoms than those who drank less than one serving a week.
Oatmeal
Carbs help you produce serotonin, a calming hormone that helps fight anxiety's negative effects-which is probably why many of us crave them when we're stressed. Go with the craving and choose healthy sources. Oatmeal is high in fiber, which means that your body will absorb it slowly. In one fell swoop, you'll prolong the serotonin boost, keeping yourself feeling full for longer (and on less) and making sure your blood sugar's in check.
Salmon
Research shows that omega-3 fatty acids-abundant in fish like salmon-can help reverse stress symptoms by boosting serotonin levels, and that an omega-3-rich diet can also help suppress the production of the anxiety hormones cortisol and adrenaline.
Walnuts
They've been shown to help lower blood pressure, which is critical for those whose hearts are already working overtime thanks to high adrenaline levels. In fact, research so strongly backs their health benefits that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration goes so far as to recommend 1 1/2 oz per day.
Sunflower Seeds
A good source of folate, which helps your body produce a pleasure-inducing brain chemical called dopamine.
Spinach
Studies show that magnesium, which you'll find in leafy greens like spinach, improves your body's response to stress.
Blueberries
Their antioxidants counteract the effects of stress hormones like cortisol on your body.
8 Foods that Fight Stress on Yahoo! Health

bouncing

HSC
haha yeah ive heard dark chocolate > milk chocolate but if i was standing in the confectionary aisle of woolworths i would pick milk chocolate...

honestly dark chocolate or that 80% cocoa shit by lindt is just gross

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The only thing i can stand is Spinach, everything else I dislike :(

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
honestly, eating foods that make me feel comfortable just by eating them lessen my stress

im sorry, but munching on some fuckin skim milk oatmeal with spinach and sunflower seeds isnt gonna make me feel any less stress i reckon

me digging into a family bucket of KFC however, will, because it tastes fantastic and i can enjoy myself, releasing endorphins and shit

so yeah, another point for KFC

mirakon

nigga
HSC
yuukkkk me 2 dere all ugly foods lolll except spinachh YUMMMM..... i love spinach... :)
i think thats the only thing i eat that is good for you lmao :p
yeah because spinach gives you 5000 inch biceps and maeks you a freakin' tank. Scientifically proven by Popeye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)