Maths Extension Study Tips (1 Viewer)

x3mattyboii

HSC
Does anybody know some tips to study for maths extension when it comes to half yearlies/trials/prelims ??

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Here's what I did for my test a couple of weeks ago:

Read over my notes for 15 minutes in the morning.

That was about it. It really comes down to paying attention in class and doing your homework - every time you get homework do it, otherwise you fall behind, or you forget.

I know that studying for only 15 minutes is not a good idea at all, and I wouldn't recommend it, never-the-less though I got 91%, 2nd in the year.

muzeikchun852

HSC

That was about it. It really comes down to paying attention in class and doing your homework - every time you get homework do it, otherwise you fall behind, or you forget.

I know that studying for only 15 minutes is not a good idea at all, and I wouldn't recommend it, never-the-less though I got 91%, 2nd in the year.
+1. thats wat i do as well, but i do it the night before. if u wants to improve ur skill solving problem, just use the school textbook and do the chapter review for practice.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Does anybody know some tips to study for maths extension when it comes to half yearlies/trials/prelims ??
As you do your exercises and mark them, compile a 'mistakes list' that contains all the mistakes you made whether it be forgetting a formula, or simplifying something incorrectly. By the end of the topic, this list should be big.

Think of this list as your 'piece of crap' list that you have to clean out. By working on these mistakes and refining your ability, you're basically 'cleaning out the crap' that prevents you from getting 100%.

This is one of the secrets I use to average above 95% in all my MX1 tests. So far since my prelim course (except the very first exam), I have never gotten below 95% because I use this technique.

Hope this helps.

x3mattyboii

HSC

Oh yeah i might do the 15minutes study in morning since i do nothing when i get up anyway ... and im the only person doing maths extension in my school soo its 1/1 ranking for me LOL

As you do your exercises and mark them, compile a 'mistakes list' that contains all the mistakes you made whether it be forgetting a formula, or simplifying something incorrectly. By the end of the topic, this list should be big.

Think of this list as your 'piece of crap' list that you have to clean out. By working on these mistakes and refining your ability, you're basically 'cleaning out the crap' that prevents you from getting 100%.

This is one of the secrets I use to average above 95% in all my MX1 tests. So far since my prelim course (except the very first exam), I have never gotten below 95% because I use this technique.

Hope this helps.
yeah thats what i been doing since year 9 lol it helps too :)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
+1. thats wat i do as well, but i do it the night before. if u wants to improve ur skill solving problem, just use the school textbook and do the chapter review for practice.
Review chapters also help a heap, and I know that in my text book the questions in the review chapters are harder than what we will be tested on, and harder than what's normally in the text book.

Hope this helps.
Another good idea, making sure that what you don't get the first time, you go over until you get really. Remember, don't be afraid to ask your teacher questions, as they're always glad to help and they've had every question asked to them before.

Don't cram too hard in the morning before the test though. I always study the night before, and then in the morning quickly read over my notes before school and then I'm done.

x3mattyboii

HSC

Yeah i might just read over notes for 15 minutes every morning. And yeah i hardly get homework for extension since im the only person doing it so its like 1/1 ranking for me hehehe xD

x3mattyboii

HSC

Hope this helps.
yeah thats what i been doing since year 9 lol it helps too :)

x3mattyboii

HSC
Review chapters also help a heap, and I know that in my text book the questions in the review chapters are harder than what we will be tested on, and harder than what's normally in the text book.

Another good idea, making sure that what you don't get the first time, you go over until you get really. Remember, don't be afraid to ask your teacher questions, as they're always glad to help and they've had every question asked to them before.

Don't cram too hard in the morning before the test though. I always study the night before, and then in the morning quickly read over my notes before school and then I'm done.
Yeahh but whats a good textbook to use? At the moment im using Cambridge and Maths in Focus

x3mattyboii

HSC
im using fitzpatrick, those question is all right in term of difficulty.
Oh is it good? Like what i want is a textbook that explains things clearly. Textbooks like Cambridge explain things in too much depth like extension 2 and Maths In Focus doesnt explain it well enough

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Yeahh but whats a good textbook to use? At the moment im using Cambridge and Maths in Focus
Maths in Focus - Three Unit Mathematics Book One (1994)

It's the one that all the guys in my class use, all the girls got given newer versions that are lighter...

Other than the one from school, I don't have any other text books.

x3mattyboii

HSC
Maths in Focus - Three Unit Mathematics Book One (1994)

It's the one that all the guys in my class use, all the girls got given newer versions that are lighter...

Other than the one from school, I don't have any other text books.
Yeah im using the 1994 one, but mine is like half ripped LOL
you think the excel books are any good?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah im using the 1994 one, but mine is like half ripped LOL
you think the excel books are any good?
Mine's got tape around the binding, there's only 1-2 of them in really good condition.

I haven't used/read any other text book so I'm not sure, but there are a few things I dislike about this text book.

The notation for things like angles are a bit....old. With like, an arrow above a letter or the a line in front of the first letter and under all of them.

Some of the explanations aren't totally clear (can't think of an example now), but then there are other explanations which I think make sense. My teacher writes up notes from the text book and modifies them to make sense though.

Overall though I do like the text book, there are a heap of questions, although worked answers would be great, but we never get that haha. I wouldn't mind a new book though, this one is a bit dirty.

x3mattyboii

HSC
Mine's got tape around the binding, there's only 1-2 of them in really good condition.

I haven't used/read any other text book so I'm not sure, but there are a few things I dislike about this text book.

The notation for things like angles are a bit....old. With like, an arrow above a letter or the a line in front of the first letter and under all of them.

Some of the explanations aren't totally clear (can't think of an example now), but then there are other explanations which I think make sense. My teacher writes up notes from the text book and modifies them to make sense though.

Overall though I do like the text book, there are a heap of questions, although worked answers would be great, but we never get that haha. I wouldn't mind a new book though, this one is a bit dirty.
ohh i see yeah there are some good questions in the textbook. My teacher just prints off notes from North Shore tutor and gives them to me with the answer everytime and tells me to look at the notes and then practice using the textbook

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
ohh i see yeah there are some good questions in the textbook. My teacher just prints off notes from North Shore tutor and gives them to me with the answer everytime and tells me to look at the notes and then practice using the textbook
Well it's easier for them to do that when you're the only one doing it haha :p

My class has 20 people, not that big in comparison for a lot of other schools, but I don't think the teacher wants to print off sheets for that many people all the time.

x3mattyboii

HSC
Well it's easier for them to do that when you're the only one doing it haha :p

My class has 20 people, not that big in comparison for a lot of other schools, but I don't think the teacher wants to print off sheets for that many people all the time.
woah soo many people for a maths extension class , is there an extension 2 class?
and yeah true but im gonna try make the most out of my class :D

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
woah soo many people for a maths extension class , is there an extension 2 class?
and yeah true but im gonna try make the most out of my class :D
Yea there's an Extension 2 class in year 12, it's only 4 people I think.

It'll probably be the same for the Extension 2 class for my year, only 4-5 people I think will choose it (I want to be one of them :)).

x3mattyboii

HSC
Yea there's an Extension 2 class in year 12, it's only 4 people I think.

It'll probably be the same for the Extension 2 class for my year, only 4-5 people I think will choose it (I want to be one of them :)).
ohh wow my school doesnt have extension 2 because teachers think its a waste of time lol
well yeah goodluck on extension 2 when you pick it hope you do good

HSC
"ohh wow my school doesnt have extension 2 because teachers think its a waste of time lol"

Same with me. Lol.

The 3 students In our extension 1 maths class use "Mathematics Extension 1- Volume 2" by Jim Coroneos. It's decent. Explains things fairly well and has according to my teacher, example questions with a good degree of difficulty. I also bought the Excel text book today and borrowed the Cambridge, and although the Cambridge appears far stronger mathematically, I'm enjoying using a combination of the Excel and past papers. But that's just me.

With studying, I just write notes in class on a leaf pad (or whatever you call them) and get home and file it into a folder. I spend about 30 minutes just practicing what we done in class that day by writing it into a simpler summary booklet then a couple of examples.

To me, It all depends on you listening attentively in class and your ability to write notes. First BOS reply done and dusted. :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)