School Certificate - Year 10. (2 Viewers)

sexykid

HSC
Just wondering how the school certificate works.
... what i've been told is that you get a band at the end of year which is based upon your School Certificate Exams (the ones at the end of the year).
you then get a school mark based upon your overall contribution and marks for all in-school assessments throughout the year. am i right?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering how the school certificate works.
... what i've been told is that you get a band at the end of year which is based upon your School Certificate Exams (the ones at the end of the year).
you then get a school mark based upon your overall contribution and marks for all in-school assessments throughout the year. am i right?
at my school, the school report also factored in SC results.. but otherwise, i presume, yes.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I wouldn't bother with it. You're probably going to be the last grade that does it anyway so it will be 100% more useless than it already is.

Lauchlan

HSC
im pretty sure this is the last year the SC will take place.
if you dont believe me - google for media sources (i cant be bothered to)

HSC
Uni Grad
im pretty sure this is the last year the SC will take place.
if you dont believe me - google for media sources (i cant be bothered to)
It better be....

If it is then I hope that the gap will start rising in yr 9 just so that we won't have to cope with that HUGE jump from yr 10-11 :/

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the SC had the SC marks along with school grades, such as A, B, etc...

I cant remember, only looked at it for a few seconds.

It better be....

If it is then I hope that the gap will start rising in yr 9 just so that we won't have to cope with that HUGE jump from yr 10-11 :/
but that wont benefit you in any way, why not let the people coming up suffer.

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the SC had the SC marks along with school grades, such as A, B, etc...

I cant remember, only looked at it for a few seconds.

but that wont benefit you in any way, why not let the people coming up suffer.
Yeah it did have separate SC test marks and bands plus separate school gradings.

Well because it would be better to spread the gap rather than to make people struggle on a huge gap...

It's also easier to adapt to a smaller gap than a huge gap from yr 10-11.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You get two marks/grades.

The first one is determined by your school and is based on the assessment tasks your are doing during the year. The second one is determined by your results in the final SC exams. It is the same as the HSC in that there is a school based component and an external component but there is no attempt to marry the two together into a final mark as their is with the HSC.

Whether or not this is the last SC will be determined by a review according to the state minister. Baring in mind that we are heading towards a National Curriculum in the next couple of years with the potential for a nationwide certification process to follow that phasing out the SC is certainly on the cards but we also expected it to go 10 years ago when they did the last review and instead they made it more detailed by adding History/Geography to the exams.

As a teacher I wouldn't like to see it go totally as I think a formal check on where a student is that goes beyond the basic literacy and numeracy of the NAPLAN tests is good but in its current form it doesn't do that.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well because it would be better to spread the gap rather than to make people struggle on a huge gap...

It's also easier to adapt to a smaller gap than a huge gap from yr 10-11.
but it wont benefit you in any way, why wish for the change.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
The only benefit, from a student point of view on the SC, is that it gets you used to (not really) the exam conditions that you're going to be under in the next 2 years.

Other than that, pretty pointless in the minds of kids. The extra couple of weeks of holidays were pretty sweet, though.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The only benefit, from a student point of view on the SC, is that it gets you used to (not really) the exam conditions that you're going to be under in the next 2 years.

Other than that, pretty pointless in the minds of kids. The extra couple of weeks of holidays were pretty sweet, though.
I had around 10 weeks :rolleyes:

HSC = 4 months tho... soooooo sweet............................. (homer simpson style)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, but, that 4 months is going to be spent working.

:(

Need moneys before uni.
hmm, money makes the world go around... but these 4 months will be epic, other than that, we get 3-4 months each yr during uni too I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)