failing UNSW competitions (1 Viewer)

w8t4hope

HSC
i just recently did a sciene UNSW competition and ive failed it miserably.
does these UNSW and Westpak competitions reflect in any way ur future ATAR?
would i still be able to get 99.95 even if i fail in these or does it mean im stupid. :(

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i don't know who or what is taeyeon.. but in answer to your question.. no

Villa94

HSC
Umm ... no, definitely.

HSC is different because you can study for it and be prepared and will also CARE about your results.

itsKaFFine

It's on fiyah
HSC
N/A
Base your atar on your rankings you get for exams. Ask your teacher what rank you will need to get if you want to get 99+ atar..its most likely going to be top 5 or even less depending on your school..unless your at James Ruse or some top selective school...and then use an atar calculator to calculate your atar estimate.

So yeah..if your aiming for 99+ aim for top rankings for all your subjects. Then for final hsc exam you just gotta do really well.

Oh yeah. Your question. Comps dont mean anything. Haha

Well good luck XD

HSC
Uni Grad
pshht doesn't mean jack shit :L

though if you get like a medal then you could file it to the UAC and then obtain bonus points at UNSW or any other uni :p

other than that it won't matter too much
but if ure thinking of doing medicine and if you get at least distinctions, you could show that on ur interview

bouncing

HSC
pshht doesn't mean jack shit :L

though if you get like a medal then you could file it to the UAC and then obtain bonus points at UNSW or any other uni :p

other than that it won't matter too much
but if ure thinking of doing medicine and if you get at least distinctions, you could show that on ur interview
+1

who on earth implanted that idea into your brain :L
those competitions MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
but yer, it means you're dumb

L

LightningXT

nah they don't reflect your future atar but i like to think they reflect intelligence/general ability because you can't study for them and it's basically just using the information you're given and analysing it to find the correct answer.
atar=indicator of how much effort you put in
comps=indicator of intelligence.
not many 99+ atar students could get accepted into Mensa, they probably haven't even hard of it, and they can't study for it.
just my opinion.
not dissing anyone.
i still think atar is really important and am hoping for sumthing above 99.
if i do bad in comps i feel bad, i remember when i got a credit in yr5 for writing. was so depressing

Last edited by a moderator:

HSC
Uni Grad
nah they don't reflect your future atar but i like to think they reflect intelligence/general ability because you can't study for them and it's basically just using the information you're given and analysing it to find the correct answer.
atar=indicator of how much effort you put in
comps=indicator of intelligence.
not many 99+ atar students could get accepted into Mensa, they probably haven't even hard of it, and they can't study for it.
just my opinion.
not dissing anyone.
i still think atar is really important and am hoping for sumthing above 99.
if i do bad in comps i feel bad, i remember when i got a credit in yr5 for writing. was so depressing
haha yeah i remember getting distinctions in maths and science when i was younger
not anymore though
i just cbf trying in them nowadays
like noone even really cares about these comps
i just participate in them in the hope of getting HDs and Ds just so i can please my parents :L

if you do well in these competitions, you could possibly be one of those who are intelligent and don't have to spend as much time as others to work for the same ATAR...

other than that i reckon intelligence would mean nothing without hard work...

L

LightningXT

if you do well in these competitions, you could possibly be one of those who are intelligent and don't have to spend as much time as others to work for the same ATAR...

other than that i reckon intelligence would mean nothing without hard work...
So true so true, know heaps of really smart guys in my year who do nothing but sit around on their butts all day and playing Doodle Jump

ilikebeeef

HSC
EDIT: Assuming 'below 50%' fail;

i just recently did a sciene UNSW competition and ive failed it miserably. does these UNSW and Westpak competitions reflect in any way ur future ATAR?
It doesn't count towards your ATAR but it's quite hard to say.

Though I can say it MIGHT reflect on your STAT/UMAT results, as they, like the UNSW science competition, test your logic.

would i still be able to get 99.95 even if i fail in these
You might. VERY VERY small chance.

or does it mean im stupid. :(
Maybe. But it might have just been bad luck.

Last edited:
HSC
how can you possibly fail these competitions...

and no, they do not impact on your ATAR. I got HD's and they meant shit.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
a 'fail' can sometimes still mean a Distinction.. lol

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i remember getting a whole lot of Credits despite passing through years 7-10

Last year's maths comp.. i cbf, finding it so difficult to previous years. Sat there twiddling my thumbs after guessing half the questions in 10 minutes or so.

I failed.

..but got my first evaa distinction in a maths comp:speechless::speechless:

I think they measure the grades by percentages/rank~ in the state or something

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Part of getting 99.95 is knowing what to study and what not to study, what to worry about and what not to worry about. I hate to be so blunt, but chances are, if you're worrying about not doing well in these competitions, you're not going to get 99.95.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)