• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

chem help pls!!!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
how would you prepare the salt zinc nitrate?

i thought this was the answer:
reacting zinc hydroxide with nitric acid
Zn(OH)2 + 2HNO3 ---> Zn(NO3)2 + 2H20

but the answer in my book is : reacting zinc oxide with nitric acid (how do u balance the equation?) ..

how come my answer doesnt work though?

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Well technically, zinc oxide is also a base so it's acceptable.

ZnO + 2HNO3 ---> Zn(NO3)2 + H2O

NewiJapper

HSC
Eddy Q said:
I believe so, since zinc hydroxide and zinc oxide are both bases.
Yes, due to the fact that zinc is quite metallic, it's oxide will always be a base. (Keeping in mind that this time the zinc is in a salt form)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I would stick with the neutralisation reaction described by the OP in the first post, because atleast we know that this reaction proceeds extremely readily. Although ZnO is a basic oxide, Zn isn't the most metallic metal around - we don't know how readily this reaction will proceed (without knowing the conditions, etc).

Sure, ZnO may very well work (since its a moderately reactive metal and a strong red. agent), but I think the neut would be the way to go for the HSC.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I would stick with the neutralisation reaction described by the OP in the first post, because atleast we know that this reaction proceeds extremely readily. Although ZnO is a basic oxide, Zn isn't the most metallic metal around - we don't know how readily this reaction will proceed (without knowing the conditions, etc).

Sure, ZnO may very well work (since its a moderately reactive metal and a strong red. agent), but I think the neut would be the way to go for the HSC.
Personally, both reactions would have popped into my head for this, mainly because I've seen it so often - and I honestly think that the markers would accept either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)