• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Laptop bag (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Thoughts on using/wearing a laptop bag instead of a rucksack at uni?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I have used both a shoulder bag and a laptop bag and a rucksack is about 100x better (especially if you need textbooks.)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
My backpack has a seperate part specifically to hold a laptop. So its got the advantages of both. I've never had a problem with it.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Goodluck walking 1.5 kms from the bus stop to your faculty with any of those containing a 4 kg laptop, 1000 page hardcover textbook, stationery, exercise books and lunch.
Who the hell owns a 4kg laptop!? And I used a shoulder bag last year and the year before to carry my lunch, two large school folders (the big one which you can fit all the loose leaflets, books and textbooks in) and a laptop. Sure it was heavy on a busy day at school and hurt my shoulder if I carried it for like 30 minutes... but that was rare.

Point is, I am happy with shoulder bags, and if I had to carry ~heaps~ one day, I'd just use a larger backpack instead.

HSC
Uni Grad
any laptop with decent power behind it (i.e enough to open a pdf file without fucking slowing down) weighs that much
The MacBook Pro is considered mid-high end and weighs 2.5 kg. It's made of fucking aluminium, I'm guessing most other mid-high end laptops would weigh about the same.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Mine is a high end Toshiba and is only 2.6.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
im sorry. i would guess that the laptop technology would have gotten better in the past three or so years so they can be lighter and faster. however, a 2.5kg macbook made from aluminium seems very unresilient to me, almost like if you plonked it onto a desk it would break.

allira92

HSC
I was looking around my room to find my laptop to see how much it weighed and after deciding i couldn't be bothered to find it i realised it was on it.

HSC
Uni Grad
im sorry. i would guess that the laptop technology would have gotten better in the past three or so years so they can be lighter and faster.
My 5 year old laptop was pretty high end (AMD Turion, 512 MB RAM) in its day and it was only 3 kg.

however, a 2.5kg macbook made from aluminium seems very unresilient to me, almost like if you plonked it onto a desk it would break.
Why? Aluminium has a very good strength to weight ratio, MacBooks feel much more sturdier and rigid than any plastic notebook.

Lou283

HSC
Thoughts on using/wearing a laptop bag instead of a rucksack at uni?
It depends if you can find one with a comfortable enough strap. I gave up on a laptop bad because it was just too heavy to carry on one sholder. I now use a padded sleeve and put that in my backpack between books to keep it as protected as possible. Its just easier to use a back pack in my opinion.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
id say get a netbook if you got the money to save the pains/macbook air.
that is, unless youre doing something in design or whatever where you need something powerful.
my little baby never hurts my back and i just chuck it in a backpack haha

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I seriously think you guys need more upper body strength, backpack with 10+kg isn't that bad...

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
My 5 year old laptop was pretty high end (AMD Turion, 512 MB RAM) in its day and it was only 3 kg.

Why? Aluminium has a very good strength to weight ratio, MacBooks feel much more sturdier and rigid than any plastic notebook.
The average weight for a ranked laptop was 8.83 pounds (google)
8.83 pounds = 4.00522063 kilograms

My laptop has a lithium 12 battery in it so its about 6 kilos I think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)