Do we HAVE to have a mentor? (1 Viewer)

smik11

HSC
Like somebody to look over our major work.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should, because you want as many people reading your work as possible - thus getting as much feedback as you can.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
It's not a requirement anywhere in writing, but if you can find someone I'd highly recommend it. Shop around...ask people you know if they know someone who'd be genuinely interested in helping out a student with a creative piece. I never really set out wanting a mentor, but it just so turned out my drama teacher's husband was a publisher and was happy to help out. I don't think I would've achieved my 49/50 if I didn't have his services. There are also lots of people online who are willing to help...I did a suite of poetry and published a couple of mine on some popular poetry-sharing sites and got really good feedback.

Good luck with ext 2. It's such a great subject if you throw yourself into it.

soporific

HSC
Generally speaking, you don't really *need* to.

If you have a private tutor for english already, I would suggest asking him/her to read over your work once every 2 weeks or something to give you feedback.

Like a few people have already mentioned, you should get as many people to read your work as possible. Friends, teachers, relatives.

Personally for me, before handing over my final work, I paid a qualified teacher/4U marker from a different school to get some feedback (he basically took my work for the weekend and checked for *minor* spelling/grammar mistakes, suggested I cut down content that I felt I should've kept). Looking back, I wish I hadn't asked him for help, it was such a waste of $350... especially because my 4U teacher at school was the head teacher of the english department, and she was absolutely fantastic.

In the end, I didn't actually change my work according to his advice (as in cut down my work, which was short enough as it was).

Last edited:

airblitz7

HSC
^paid* you kinda do 4u english, you should be able to get those.

/trolling

/grammar nazi'ing

soporific

HSC
^paid* you kinda do 4u english, you should be able to get those.

/trolling

/grammar nazi'ing
Thanks ^_^ I've fixed it. Sorry for the brutal *typo* ... I was in a rush. Meh. That's no excuse though, huh? :p

Not to be trolling or anything, but the common/standard/correct practice is to use hyphen not apostrophe in "nazi-ing" ... at least most of the time anyway =)
Apostrophes are only used to indicate contractions or possession/ownership.

Damn I have too much time on my hands :-/

Ahem. ANYWAY, to the OP: I forgot to mention that you should also get other english teachers that you know from your school english department to read your work. I asked my advanced english teacher to read my work, as well as my teacher from Yr 10. This way, you'll get a rough idea of what other teachers prefer or look upon favourably which comes in handy especially during 4U internal assessments (particularly if you know who's marking your work).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)