Anxiety (2 Viewers)

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I have moderate-severe social/performance anxiety and a long family history of anxiety/depression. I've always thought fuck it I'll get over it eventually by myself, but then I had a panic attack yesterday when people were introducing themselves during our O-Week tour, and have felt fucking awful since. I don't want uni to be a repeat of high school.

Problem is all the antidepressants I read about have terrible side effects, and I don't want to become alcohol dependant.

TL : DR What should I do to control/fix my anxiety without going blind or killing my liver from taking drugs in the process?

bobet

MEH
HSC
N/A
I have moderate-severe social/performance anxiety and a long family history of anxiety/depression. I've always thought fuck it I'll get over it eventually by myself, but then I had a panic attack yesterday when people were introducing themselves during our O-Week tour, and have felt fucking awful since. I don't want uni to be a repeat of high school.

Problem is all the antidepressants I read about have terrible side effects, and I don't want to become alcohol dependant.

TL : DR What should I do to control/fix my anxiety without going blind or killing my liver from taking drugs in the process?
I have the same thing. Lets be friends.

I just try to leave my comfort zone once in a while and I try not to let it show. I think confident so I be confident.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC

I just try to leave my comfort zone once in a while and I try not to let it show. I think confident so I be confident.
I did yesterday and I just felt awful and awkward for the entire day. Even afterwards when I got chatting to some people I was constantly doubting myself and feeling like I was about to stumble over my words.

God damn this sucks hey : (

What are heroin and where can I get it.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Just take some anti depressants.

They work for a reason. And if you have a reaction to them you stop taking them and trial something else like every other medicine.

If you were physically sick you'd take the medicine so stop making yourself sick and try and do something good for yourself.

glache

HSC
N/A

Yep. Fake it till you make it.

Just take some anti depressants.

They work for a reason. And if you have a reaction to them you stop taking them and trial something else like every other medicine.

If you were physically sick you'd take the medicine so stop making yourself sick and try and do something good for yourself.
+1.

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
at parties, get a little tipsy, srs
loosens most people up and confidence should rise a little

for normal stuff, just take it slow, make a couple of close friends and branch out, if you are having srs problems, then meds might help :)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
if you're not trolling: that's pretty bad. Talk to your GP about finding a psychologist that does Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, it works really really well and unlike drugs, its not just a bandaid fix.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
at parties, get a little tipsy, srs
loosens most people up and confidence should rise a little

for normal stuff, just take it slow, make a couple of close friends and branch out, if you are having srs problems, then meds might help :)
I've always had a fair few friends because I'm nice enough irl, and I've always enjoyed going out to parties simply because it gives me an excuse to drink.

My main problem is with new people and groups of people. I know it's important to make friends at uni (and I really want to!) but I become incredibly scared to speak up in front of a group of others; I focus intensely on myself and fear I'm being boring/unfunny and tend to constrict my responses etc as a result. It's difficult because you end up wondering whether people are just being nice to be polite or whether they're actually enjoying your company :S

I've decided to try a number of things, until I can get a 'scrip for beta blockers to control the sudden attacks (they make adrenalin/epinephrine do nothing, stifling the 'fight-or-flight' response)

Mostly I'm go to:

1. Eat more (I'm underweight according to the BMI, probably missing out on some important nutrients or something)
2. Eat dark chocolate/cocoa nibs (proven in numerous studies to aid in the treatment of depression, very good for you otherwise)
3. Exercise more (gets endorphins flowing, improves self image/confidence)
4. Cut down on caffeine (I feel moody if I haven't had a caffeine hit, probably better to go without it entirely)
5. And more than anything, just feel positive and like everyone is nice rather than out to get me.

I might try this in conjunction with some low-dose antidepressants, but that depends on what my doctor says.

if you're not trolling: that's pretty bad. Talk to your GP about finding a psychologist that does Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, it works really really well and unlike drugs, its not just a bandaid fix.
Not trolling, it's the reason I'm such an asshat on the internet - apparently it's fairly common for people with anxiety to be arrogant dickheads to compensate. It's only now that I'm realising I need to tackle this ASAP if I'm going to enjoy my time at uni. I read about that CBT stuff and it seems good, but my parents said they're not going to pay a therapist and that I just need to 'get over it' :~(

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I read about that CBT stuff and it seems good, but my parents said they're not going to pay a therapist and that I just need to 'get over it' :~(
ok first go to a GP, they will put you in the right direction. let them diagnose you and do what they want with you, they are the medical professional and know what they're doing, not you. if they want you to see a psychologist they will put you on a medicare mental health plan where medicare gives you a pretty decent rebate, if you get sent to a psychologist then medicare should pay for all of that (this was at least my experience).
oh and yeah antidepressants have not so nice side effects although depending on who you talk to most try not to put you on them for that reason
edit: YMMV

Last edited:

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
ok first go to a GP, they will put you in the right direction. let them diagnose you and do what they want with you, they are the medical professional and know what they're doing, not you. if they want you to see a psychologist they will put you on a medicare mental health plan where medicare gives you a pretty decent rebate, if you get sent to a psychologist then medicare should pay for all of that.
oh and yeah antidepressants have not so nice side effects although depending on who you talk to most try not to put you on them for that reason
Yeah that's sound advice. I'll give the local GP a call tomorrow and make an appointment.

come to UNSW o-week with us bos kids k
I'll probably be going tomorrow if this guy in Kingsford replies about the room I've applied for. I have Christian's number so I'll let you know if I'm making an appearance :~)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Not trolling, it's the reason I'm such an asshat on the internet - apparently it's fairly common for people with anxiety to be arrogant dickheads to compensate. It's only now that I'm realising I need to tackle this ASAP if I'm going to enjoy my time at uni. I read about that CBT stuff and it seems good, but my parents said they're not going to pay a therapist and that I just need to 'get over it' :~(
You don't need to pay. Go to your doctor, ask for a referral to a psychologist for anxiety issues, and ask for one that bulk bills to medicare.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
not sure if Christian is coming tomorrow but if he is.. come with us

HSC
Also, getting a job in customer service can help you be less scared of strangers. Best way to develop a steely facade of false, but confident, friendliness.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Also, getting a job in customer service can help you be less scared of strangers. Best way to develop a steely facade of false, but confident, friendliness.
You mean they weren't really being friendly to me? GOD DAMN IT.

You don't need to pay. Go to your doctor, ask for a referral to a psychologist for anxiety issues, and ask for one that bulk bills to medicare.
That's actually amazing news, since there was no way I could afford it by myself otherwise.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Also get a job in retail. Imo everyone should work in retail for at least a short period at some stage in their lives. Builds character, confidence etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)