Anxiety (1 Viewer)

HSC
You mean they weren't really being friendly to me? GOD DAMN IT.
I can guarantee that not only are people in customer service not being genuinely friendly, they would actively like their customers to die.

But seriously, it's a good way to stop fretting so much about awkward encounters and learning to sustain reasonably polite conversations with complete strangers. Also, you get to make more genuine friendships with workmates (if you're lucky).

glache

HSC
N/A
Also, getting a job in customer service can help you be less scared of strangers. Best way to develop a steely facade of false, but confident, friendliness.
Also get a job in retail. Imo everyone should work in retail for at least a short period at some stage in their lives. Builds character, confidence etc.
This. It's how I was able to break out of my shell too--become more conversational.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
if you're not trolling: that's pretty bad. Talk to your GP about finding a psychologist that does Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, it works really really well and unlike drugs, its not just a bandaid fix.
Drugs are not a bandaid fix, you do realize that depression and anxiety and I'm talking the real stuff is not able to be fixed with cbt?

cbt is basically just a coping mechanism. But before you're able to implement coping mechanisms you have to be able to physically apply them to your every day life which you cannot do if you are not treated correctly.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Drugs are not a bandaid fix, you do realize that depression and anxiety and I'm talking the real stuff is not able to be fixed with cbt?

cbt is basically just a coping mechanism. But before you're able to implement coping mechanisms you have to be able to physically apply them to your every day life which you cannot do if you are not treated correctly.
drugs relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression, but they don't address the underlying problem. The only way that drugs will totally fix the problem is if the sole cause is chemical/neurological but most of the time this is simply not the case.

If anxiety is treated with SSRIs or benzodiazepines alone (no CBT), there is a 90% relapse rate after the patient comes off the drugs.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
That's why most professionals tend to combine CBT with drugs, so whilst the underlying problem is being tackled, the symptoms are lessened which will help the recovery process.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, the OP has social anxiety. CBT is the best treatment for this type of anxiety and is highly effective. CBT is not as effective on GAD, which im guessing is the type of anxiety you are talking about.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Exactly. Hence why drugs are not a *bandaid* and he shouldn't be afraid of taking them.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
But since he has social anxiety as opposed to GAD, itd be best to wait and see if he really needs the drugs. The side effects aren't exactly desirable, so he shouldn't take them unless he really needs them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)