• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soldiers are not heroes (3 Viewers)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
LOAC is retarded, killing is wrong on all grounds except when it's done in the name of the state.

HSC
LOAC is retarded, killing is wrong on all grounds except when it's done in the name of the state.
Would you rather conflicts without LOAC? In a perfect world war would not exist, but since it is not a perfect world LOAC is essential.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Just as I thought, back in your box Lolsmith. If you are going to try and be involved in a conversation at least have an understanding of the underlying principles. One day you'll be able to talk with the adults!
Confirmed retarded

Because I don't post within a 12 minute timeframe that means I am wrong forever eternity

Murder outside of the LOAC is clearly a warcrime as prescribed by the Hague convention as well as the Geneva convention. Rape is a war crime no question.

Are you fucking retarded?
Really because that was so obviously clearly defined as what Rothbard was posting. Quite obviously it was a fallacious claim because he isn't stupid enough to make that sort of generalisation without the intent to reel you in to being stupid like you are being. Those aren't the only 2 war crimes on the list champ so you certainly quoted him wrong for starters.

There you go again, calling everyone with a view different to yours 'ratarded'. Perhaps you should look in the mirror Christian as the problem is not everyone else it is you.
Really the problem is me is it

Your are ignorant to anything other than your own seriously flawed sense of reasoning in 100% of the things that you write and supposedly that makes me ~the problem~

Cool story bro

Seriously do you even read what you write

HSC
Confirmed retarded

Because I don't post within a 12 minute timeframe that means I am wrong forever eternity

Really because that was so obviously clearly defined as what Rothbard was posting. Quite obviously it was a fallacious claim because he isn't stupid enough to make that sort of generalisation without the intent to reel you in to being stupid like you are being. Those aren't the only 2 war crimes on the list champ so you certainly quoted him wrong for starters.

Really the problem is me is it

Your are ignorant to anything other than your own seriously flawed sense of reasoning in 100% of the things that you write and supposedly that makes me ~the problem~

Cool story bro

Seriously do you even read what you write
Are you saying your friends can make ridiculous claims as long as it's in an attempt to troll people? Your reply does not even make sense. I hope your written communication improves or your time at University will be very short lived.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
There you go again, calling everyone with a view different to yours 'ratarded'. Perhaps you should look in the mirror Christian as the problem is not everyone else it is you.
I'm pretty sure the problem is you.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Are you saying your friends can make ridiculous claims as long as it's in an attempt to troll people? Your reply does not even make sense. I hope your written communication improves or your time at University will be very short lived.
No, I'm saying that you obviously missed his intent

Then again, I could have as well

Also yes my post does lack grammar, but it's not that hard to read

HSC
Their job is to kill people, that is their job. I'm sorry if I don't feel an iota of sympathy for paid murderers.
That is not the job of a soldier. The inference that this is true is insulting, untrue and facetious.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
That is not the job of a soldier. The inference that this is true is insulting, untrue and facetious.
Then why do we make a distinction between deploying the AFP to international situations and the ADF?

The AFP's role is policing and support, the ADF's role is to apply blunt force and to murder.

Dismay

HSC
N/A
You might have brains, but that doesn't make you intelligent.

I can't believe the level of bottom-feeding, through the arse speaking RUBBISH I'm reading! These people join to protect YOUR naive little world where you're free to think, speak, and act how you like.
And Jaundice, my freakin' grandmother is a war widow. KEEP YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH SHUT. You have NO right to make comments like "Why complain". You disgust me. You are absolute scum. My grandfather died after WW2 directly because of medical problems that would never have even been a blip on his radar had it not been for him standing up for what's right. She got to watch him decline in health and gradually fade away in a manner that was anything BUT heroic. It took away every scrap of that man's dignity and destroyed his wife and children.

If she read this thread she would be driven to tears at the thought that the man that she loved had died in a such horrible and cruel way after fighting in far away lands for a cause that was not his own simply to ensure that the lives of his family and friends would stay as relatively carefree and enjoyable as possible... Only to have his gift of life thrown back in his face by such childish and ungrateful people. He WAS a goddamn hero, as were and are the people who serve to give you the opportunity to spout your misinformed bullshit. They might not agree with your crap, but they faught and fight to the death to give you the freedom to speak it.
So they do the same for people in other countries as well, just as they did in WW1 & 2, and the numerous other theatres they've been involved in in years gone by.

I'm too disgusted to bother coming back to look at your pathetic justifications. Just remember that if a natural disaster occurs or heaven forbid, war ever comes to our shores, those "paid murderers" are the ones who will be sandbagging your homes or rescuing your family members until they're too exhausted to crawl.
They do it because they want to serve. What have you got to justify YOUR existance?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Can a mod please change the title of this thread to 'Soldiers are heroes'.

Cianyx

Planarian Leader
HSC
So I see we've been reduced to emotional appeals now

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Yes I agree. Some objectivity would be nice in this thread.

These soldiers have done nothing but terrorize innocent civilians by bringing extreme violence to their streets. They have completely ruined what little was left of both countries by destroying infrastructure and creating political unrest – amongst so many other things which I can’t be bothered to list. We heard so much about the disaster behind the Queensland floods and New Zealand earthquakes. We mourned as a country for the bush fires in Melbourne, all of which were natural disasters of which we had little control over, however nobody mentions the utter chaos and destruction the civilians in both these countries are now forced to endure on a daily basis. Nobody mentions that these soldiers have seized control over oil in Iraq and currently occupy opium fields in Afghanistan.

So are they heroes? Yes – conditionally. Even though both these wars were initiated for selfish reasons by our (and some of the worlds) political figures, the soldiers who risk/risked everything and genuinely believe they are doing so for the benefit of their country are in fact heroes.

Obviously this question is extremely subjective, and a hero to one person is an enemy to another.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
someone in our school who wants to join the army

'oh man, it'd be so cool to snipe someone in the head'

these fucked up people are heroes? and nobody gives a shit about the doctors who keep them alive and the engineers who actually work to rebuild a country rather than blowing it up?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
This is exactly why this question is complicated.

The morons that want to fight for fun are simply murderers. There's no excuse or justification, I don't care how emotional you want to get.

If on the other hand somebody joins because they actually want to protect their country, then they have more right to be deemed heroes along side doctors, nurses, engineers, paramedics, firefights, cops, etc...

Climactic

HSC
I'm too disgusted to bother coming back to look at your pathetic justifications. Just remember that if a natural disaster occurs or heaven forbid, war ever comes to our shores, those "paid murderers" are the ones who will be sandbagging your homes or rescuing your family members until they're too exhausted to crawl.
They do it because they want to serve. What have you got to justify YOUR existance?
The thread title is just libertarian rhetoric to provoke some fiery debate. Obviously not all soldiers in any army get to kill people and most of the time an army is just there as a highly organized force to help in national disasters and in Afghanistan's case, nation rebuilding. But remember that the thing younger generations connect with the defense forces of Western nations is the two pointless wars of Iraq and Afghanistan. Not fighting against the Nazis and Japan.

It would be dishonourable to the highest degree to leave Afghanistan prematurely because of our lack of endurance and to let Afghanistan fall once more into the brutality and ruthlessness of the Taliban. The Afghans put their faith in us to help them to a more peaceful and prosperous future and we have to honour it and fighting and risking your life for a cause such as this, for people who are not even your fellow countrywomen or men, to me that is heroism and altruism to the highest degree.

And if you're in doubt about our mission just look at this-

If you want us to leave, you are condoning this.
When we leave those same things are still going to happen because of the same reasons it is happening now. Poverty, lack of education, backward tribal-religious laws and whatnot that aren't going to go away after we leave. Afghanistan's one of the worst places in the world and we can't just put some secular liberal democracy there. So we saved some woman. Great. That war has cost the US hundreds of billions, while it's in $14 trillion of debt. And how many civilian casualties has it caused? It sounds bad but we can't go around trying to fix every country in the world.

We mourned as a country for the bush fires in Melbourne, all of which were natural disasters of which we had little control over, however nobody mentions the utter chaos and destruction the civilians in both these countries are now forced to endure on a daily basis. Nobody mentions that these soldiers have seized control over oil in Iraq and currently occupy opium fields in Afghanistan.
Expand on the oil and the opium thing, please.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
This is exactly why this question is complicated.

The morons that want to fight for fun are simply murderers. There's no excuse or justification, I don't care how emotional you want to get.

If on the other hand somebody joins because they actually want to protect their country, then they have more right to be deemed heroes along side doctors, nurses, engineers, paramedics, firefights, cops, etc...
I would also extend this to wanting to help the people of other countries, from the tyrants and warlords and shit making life hell for the civilians.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Does that remove a widows right to mourn?

I quote you

So in your world, a widow is asked by the media 'What are you going to do now your husband will no longer be around' the answer would be 'Well that's a good question, however as my husband was in a high risk job I was expecting his death and feel absolutely no emotion from it, and me and my family will be just fine without him' You are an absolute champion mate...

How old are you?

So anyone in a 'high risk job' (by the way how do you define a high risk job? or is it just if Jaundice decides that it's a high risk job then it is) their family automatically has no right to mourn in the case of them passing away? Are you even aware of how stupid that sentiment are?

By the way it's been quite some time since a defence member 'died in Iraq' so maybe you should get your head around that as well.
They have a right to mourn everyone does and you cant prepare for death. It is annoying that they go on about unfair it is that they died or how they whine about not being able to support their kids.

You accepted that life with a high risk of death or ^^^ happening. I don't believe they are more important than any other person who dies because they put themselves in a risky position.

Sure if they died defending the country or helping people but fighting in unnecessary wars is just meh

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Look I feel sorry for fighter fighters etc when they die and their young families. I just dont sympathsize with those that elect to go fight in unnecessary wars and then have their partners whine when something happens to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)