• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question on the ability to transfer courses at uni (1 Viewer)

LonelyWolf

HSC
Greetings, I'm not at uni yet, so forgive my understanding. One question:

Say i want to do: B Science B Arts in Int. Studies - ATAR 80.00

I decide in my first year that i don't like this particular course.

Could I transfer, at the end of my first year to:

B Business B Arts in Int. Studies - which originally required a 2010 ATAR of 95.00 ??

Is there a requirement i must follow, like, do I need to get high distinctions in everything? Or is it just impossible? Also, what about transferring to a course that required a 2010 ATAR of say 87.00?

Note: ATAR's are based on 2010 UAC guide. These courses are for UTS.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Some uni provides a list of courses stating the minimum WAM (which is basically your average marks for all the subjects you done) required for internal transfers. For example, transferring to B Business B Arts in Int. Studies might require, say, 70 WAM. If achieved that, then you can transfer. Each courses will have different requirements, some will consider a combination of ATAR and WAM. The general principle is that if your ATAR is bad then they won't look at it at all.

I am not aware of any courses that has a HD internal transfer requirement, in UNSW, for example, internal transfer to law only requires a 75 WAM (bear distinction) if you get a UAI between 95-97. For most courses a mid credit WAM is generally enough. So it's not impossible, but you still have to put in a fair bit of work.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Greetings, I'm not at uni yet, so forgive my understanding. One question:

Say i want to do: B Science B Arts in Int. Studies - ATAR 80.00

I decide in my first year that i don't like this particular course.

Could I transfer, at the end of my first year to:

B Business B Arts in Int. Studies - which originally required a 2010 ATAR of 95.00 ??

Is there a requirement i must follow, like, do I need to get high distinctions in everything? Or is it just impossible? Also, what about transferring to a course that required a 2010 ATAR of say 87.00?

Note: ATAR's are based on 2010 UAC guide. These courses are for UTS.

do you actually want to do international studies at uts?

LonelyWolf

HSC
yeah, i don't know a whole lot about it, but it sounds really good and suitable for me. What's wrong with it? you do it lol

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
there's nothing wrong with it..i was just wondering if you were using it as an example, or something that you wanted to do.

i'm guessing you want to eventually do business and international studies, and you're not sure if you can get in straight away?

in your first year, you only do subjects for your other degree (like for me, i only do business subjects at the moment - so if you do science, then you'd be doing science subjects) and then the international studies starts off in 2nd year.
so the problem with transferring from science/international to business/international after 1st year is that you'll probably have to do another year of business subjects so you can actually complete the course. i'm not sure if there are any rules that apply to what you're asking, so you might want to ask someone at like an open day or something like that.

another possible option is starting out in a b business, and then adding international studies to it at the end of 1st year. there's a few people i know who plan to do that, but i'm not sure how competitive it is - i think as long as you don't fail any of your business subjects, then you'll be fine. there's also the issue that you might not get the country/language that you wanted to major in.

don't forget that they do have business/international at the kuring-gai campus as well..i know that its not an option for everyone since it doesn't have the greatest location, but you can always transfer from kuring-gai to city campus after first year.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Get a 70 average and you can get into anything except law and things which have pre-reqs

LonelyWolf

HSC
Some uni provides a list of courses stating the minimum WAM (which is basically your average marks for all the subjects you done) required for internal transfers. For example, transferring to B Business B Arts in Int. Studies might require, say, 70 WAM. If achieved that, then you can transfer. Each courses will have different requirements, some will consider a combination of ATAR and WAM. The general principle is that if your ATAR is bad then they won't look at it at all.

I am not aware of any courses that has a HD internal transfer requirement, in UNSW, for example, internal transfer to law only requires a 75 WAM (bear distinction) if you get a UAI between 95-97. For most courses a mid credit WAM is generally enough. So it's not impossible, but you still have to put in a fair bit of work.
Thanks for the info :)

LonelyWolf

HSC

cheers for the info!

there's nothing wrong with it..i was just wondering if you were using it as an example, or something that you wanted to do.

i'm guessing you want to eventually do business and international studies, and you're not sure if you can get in straight away?

in your first year, you only do subjects for your other degree (like for me, i only do business subjects at the moment - so if you do science, then you'd be doing science subjects) and then the international studies starts off in 2nd year.
so the problem with transferring from science/international to business/international after 1st year is that you'll probably have to do another year of business subjects so you can actually complete the course. i'm not sure if there are any rules that apply to what you're asking, so you might want to ask someone at like an open day or something like that.

another possible option is starting out in a b business, and then adding international studies to it at the end of 1st year. there's a few people i know who plan to do that, but i'm not sure how competitive it is - i think as long as you don't fail any of your business subjects, then you'll be fine. there's also the issue that you might not get the country/language that you wanted to major in.

don't forget that they do have business/international at the kuring-gai campus as well..i know that its not an option for everyone since it doesn't have the greatest location, but you can always transfer from kuring-gai to city campus after first year.
Ah right my mistake lol

Yes, I'd definitely like to do business, but I'm not to sure if i'd like it at a uni level. Another question, what are you doing for business so far? Are the topics interesting and is the workload at a good level?
Also, so you're saying you don't get a choice which country you get to study in?

Thanks for the help, appreciate it :D

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
business is alright so far - this semester i'm doing integrating business perspectives (basically like law, ethics and those sorts of things), accounting, economics and statistics. the workload felt overwhelming at first since i was doing like nothing for 4 months, but its not too bad at the moment.

the content itself is alright - its not difficult, its just going to be a lot to remember. i don't know what sorts of things you cover in business studies since i didn't do it, but it may or may not overlap with some of the subjects you do.

we choose our international studies country in around may/june, so if you transfer from business to business/international at the end of first year, then there'll probably only be a limited choice of countries. but apparently most people get their first choices - do you have any idea on where you would like to go?

LonelyWolf

HSC
business is alright so far - this semester i'm doing integrating business perspectives (basically like law, ethics and those sorts of things), accounting, economics and statistics. the workload felt overwhelming at first since i was doing like nothing for 4 months, but its not too bad at the moment.

the content itself is alright - its not difficult, its just going to be a lot to remember. i don't know what sorts of things you cover in business studies since i didn't do it, but it may or may not overlap with some of the subjects you do.

we choose our international studies country in around may/june, so if you transfer from business to business/international at the end of first year, then there'll probably only be a limited choice of countries. but apparently most people get their first choices - do you have any idea on where you would like to go?
cheers. ah yeah definitely Germany, seeing as i have family there, if not, then my second prefernce would be Switzerland than Canada. I'd like to work maybe for the government in a diplomatic job. Still don't have a clue about an actual job i would like to do. I'm also worried about the costs of living in countries using the Euro, expecially when compared to the value of the Aussie dollar.

UTS also released the 2012 undergraduate handbook like a week ago, B in Business B in Int. Studies is like 89.80,roughly. I'm not to sure what B in Business is though, it would probably be 87 or 88. Also the B in Science (flexible) B in Int. Studies dropped from 80.00 to 74.00 haha, so It really shouldnt be that hard for me to get in.

LonelyWolf

HSC

Also, how many people are doing the same course as you?

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
oh germany's a good choice..don't worry too much about the euros thing at the moment, because you'd be going in 2015 and hopefully things will be better by then.

how many people doing international studies? i wouldn't have a clue - there'll be people combining with law, science, engineering, etc etc so quite a lot i would think.

there's definitely a lot of b business students - easily more than 500 people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)