• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Would a good handwriting make your essay look superb? (2 Viewers)

jamesfirst

HSC
Say 2 essays for english were compared.

One is a very good essay but the hand writing is messy (but still legible)

Other one is average (not as good as the first one) but the hand writing is really neat.

Would the marker think that the second one is as good as the first one because the hand writing is neater ?

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
no im pretty sure these markers know wat theyre looking for in an essay and dont get swayed into thinkin an essay is good because the hand-writin is neat

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Say 2 essays for english were compared.

One is a very good essay but the hand writing is messy (but still legible)

Other one is average (not as good as the first one) but the hand writing is really neat.

Would the marker think that the second one is as good as the first one because the hand writing is neater ?
nope

jamesfirst

HSC
Then lets say:

Both students wrote an excellent essay

but one wrote neatly and other one poorly. Would the neater one get a better mark? Not necessarily all the time, but do they have a better chance?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC is content not writing, that said just make sure its readable, even my english teacher said this, they dont give a shit about your writing as long as they can read it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Bad handwriting won't directly lose you marks.

However, if the marker has to stop every three words to decipher your scrawl, then you will indirectly lose marks due to lack of fluency. It disturbs the rhythm of your essay, and the flow is ruined, leading to lack of coherency. So you will lose marks that way.

So if both students wrote excellent essays, then yes, there may be mark differences.

Edit: But neat vs not-so-neat (but still legible) writing - there will be no difference.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
My handwriting is boss therefore no issue.

feelsgoodman.jpg

tranx

HSC

However, if the marker has to stop every three words to decipher your scrawl, then you will indirectly lose marks due to lack of fluency. It disturbs the rhythm of your essay, and the flow is ruined, leading to lack of coherency. So you will lose marks that way.

So if both students wrote excellent essays, then yes, there may be mark differences.

Edit: But neat vs not-so-neat (but still legible) writing - there will be no difference.
Spot on there, if they can read your writing its all good. Same things go for maths and science (except without the fluency), if they can't read your writing or you miss a step due to the working out being everywhere, you will lose a TON of marks (i have been warned in ext. 2 maths, chem and physics LOL)

mecramarathon

HSC
Yes if both are legible then there is no mark difference,

i got penalised in my trials because my writing was horrendous and they needed to get teachers from other faculties to read it :p so i learnt to write a bit neater in the actual hsc

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A friend of mine lost 2 marks for bad handwriting, he got 23/25 for some essay, because the marker couldn't read it, he went to the marker and read it to the marker, then he got full marks :/

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i was once told by my teacher that messy hand writing could often reflect a smart student in that he was very well prepared, knew his/her content and was ready to churn out pages of work in a very fast manner lol.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i was once told by my teacher that messy hand writing could often reflect a smart student in that he was very well prepared, knew his/her content and was ready to churn out pages of work in a very fast manner lol.
What happens if the content was bad, maybe not completed, and messy?

sinophile2

HSC
N/A

Basically this, its just the psychology of it, teachers get pissed off if they have to pause every few words to ponder what that fucking mess is supposed to mean, so subconsciously they'll mark you down. Are they supposed to do this? No. Does it happen anyway? Yes.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
What happens if the content was bad, maybe not completed, and messy?
obvious answer is obvious

a shit essay will always be a shit essay, you can't polish a turd

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I have atrocious sometimes not even legible handwriting, but i've been told by many teachers that the quality of my writing is really good. I lose marks because of my handwriting all the time... :frown2:

el_patron

HSC
Uni Grad
no, but good handwriting definitely helps for the marker

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC markers are used to the pith handwriting that some students present them. As long as it's somewhat legible it'll be all good and there won't be a difference between the marks.

HSC
Uni Grad
tbh the key here in the HSC is to make it easy for the marker, so neat handwriting is a good idea to practice for. The markers are trying to give you marks wherever they can so if they can't read your writing, they can't try to give you marks (although they would want to do so)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)