UAC Preferences (3 Viewers)

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
shadowdude, how did u get into advanced maths/commerce, i thought the cut off was like 98.15

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
shadowdude, how did u get into advanced maths/commerce, i thought the cut off was like 98.15
Bonus points!

In fact, when I got in - the Second Round - the cut off was 99.95. :cool:

Alkanes

HSC
bonus points?
edit: ahh beat me to it LOL

deterministic

HSC
B Comm (Actuarial)/B Economics @UNSW
B Comm (Actuarial)/B Sci (Adv Maths) @UNSW
B Comm (Actuarial) @ UNSW

Is there any benefit to doing a double degree and if so which one out of maths and economics will compliment actuarial studies more?
also i heard that if you do maths in a combined degree your major has to be in maths, is this true?
Ignore what Shadowdude said as its mostly incorrect. If you did maths, it doesn't make sense to have do MATH1151 and MATH1141 at the same time if they are basically the same course. A simple check on the unsw maths website can confirm this.

For anyone serious about being an actuary, you will need to study at least 4 years to complete relevant courses and hence why most people end up doing a double degree. Otherwise you would have to do honours/masters in actuarial studies.

The main benefit of Com/Eco is that it allows you to complete a triple major (most popular being Actuarial/Finance/Economics or Econometrics) in only 4 years. Unless you want to do honours in a branch of mathematics or for some reason want to do quant risk, don't do Com/Adv maths. Doing quant risk with actuarial is essentially doing finance and actuarial (go the unsw maths website to see that the program consists of many finance courses) but it takes longer to do, and within that time, you could complete another economics degree (see above about com/eco). If you don't want to do honours but still want to do maths, then do com/sci majoring in actuarial and maths.

Last edited:

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Ignore what Shadowdude said as its mostly incorrect. If you did maths, it doesn't make sense to have do MATH1151 and MATH1141 at the same time if they are basically the same course. A simple check on the unsw maths website can confirm this.

For anyone serious about being an actuary, you will need to study at least 4 years to complete relevant courses and hence why most people end up doing a double degree. Otherwise you would have to do honours/masters in actuarial studies.

The main benefit of Com/Eco is that it allows you to complete a triple major (most popular being Actuarial/Finance/Economics or Econometrics) in only 4 years. Unless you want to do honours in a branch of mathematics or for some reason want to do quant risk, don't do Com/Adv maths. Doing quant risk with actuarial is essentially doing finance and actuarial (go the unsw maths website to see that the program consists of many finance courses) but it takes longer to do, and within that time, you could complete another economics degree (see above about com/eco). If you don't want to do honours but still want to do maths, then do com/sci majoring in actuarial and maths.
tnx. i think i will stick with my first pref and do actuarial/economics. looking at what you say, it seems its a better choice.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

^ Yes, listen to him.

Damn this holiday is taking a toll on my brain function =(

Also, you should know that there is further study after university required to become an actuary. See: http://www.actuaries.asn.au/

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
what are the study hours like for uni students, is it the same as it is for the HSC?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
what are the study hours like for uni students, is it the same as it is for the HSC?
My course is 12 hours per week, 4 subjects, 3 hours per subject (later on I have a few subjects with 6-7 hours per subject so it'll increase for a bit).

My Timetable is crammed into 2 days a week, most people have it 3 days, then there are those doing the same course who have it 4 days, 1 subject per day (idiots).

This semester was Wednesday 9-6, Thursday 9-7:30 with massive breaks

Next semester is Tuesday 9-3 (No breaks), Wednesday 9-5 (small breaks between each tute/class)

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
My course is 12 hours per week, 4 subjects, 3 hours per subject (later on I have a few subjects with 6-7 hours per subject so it'll increase for a bit).

My Timetable is crammed into 2 days a week, most people have it 3 days, then there are those doing the same course who have it 4 days, 1 subject per day (idiots).

This semester was Wednesday 9-6, Thursday 9-7:30 with massive breaks

Next semester is Tuesday 9-3 (No breaks), Wednesday 9-5 (small breaks between each tute/class)
tnx. is that 3 hours per subject what you do in uni classes or actual study time at home

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
tnx. is that 3 hours per subject what you do in uni classes or actual study time at home
That is pure uni contact hours in uni, study for me this semester was about 6-8 hours a week, just of accounting homework, everything else was too easy and didn't require any study, where most the marks came from assignments or cramming 3 days before the exam :D

Com/Eco @ UNSW is also 12 hours (not sure if it's the same for actuarial?) but the timetable wont be 2 days, might be 3-4 from what my friends at UNSW have.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
That is pure uni contact hours in uni, study for me this semester was about 6-8 hours a week, just of accounting homework, everything else was too easy and didn't require any study, where most the marks came from assignments or cramming 3 days before the exam :D

Com/Eco @ UNSW is also 12 hours (not sure if it's the same for actuarial?) but the timetable wont be 2 days, might be 3-4 from what my friends at UNSW have.
tnx for the help.

HSC
My mum wants me to do mining engineering @UNSW purely because of financial incentives. Brilliant woman, she is.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
are you for real? the cut off was 99.95?
Yeah.

You study as much as you want. That's the beauty of university. You can go to parties every night or you can bunker down at home and study all night. Of course there are a range of options in between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)