Who thinks the ranking system is very unfair? (1 Viewer)

SharpieKid123

HSC
Why can't they give you admission to university by your raw marks? With ranks, not only do you have to worry about your marks but other people's marks as well:( I will be so screwed in Year 12 for the internal assessments because I go to such a smart school:(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So... what you're saying is - under your system - we could all just not bother with our classwork for the entire year and just put all our effort into the final HSC exam. And how would people who were sick on that day go? Well, obviously they can just refer back to the school marks to see how well they might've gone - but oh wait, there's no weighting on that and there's no reason to do internal schoolwork because it counts for zero anyway! So who would've done that? No one. So maybe the person who would've gotten 100 in MX2 but didn't because she was sick on that day fails and has to repeat the HSC.

Now that's not fair.

This system in place now is fairer as it rewards constant work through the year. Do well internally and get a good rank, do well externally and have a good HSC mark to combine with the internal moderated mark.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Get over it, man up little girl (yes I know you're a girl), there's no other way to do it.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Why can't they give you admission to university by your raw marks? With ranks, not only do you have to worry about your marks but other people's marks as well:( I will be so screwed in Year 12 for the internal assessments because I go to such a smart school:(
Wah, wah, wah, bitch, bitch, bitch.
Shut the fuck up and study, cunt!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So... what you're saying is - under your system - we could all just not bother with our classwork for the entire year and just put all our effort into the final HSC exam. And how would people who were sick on that day go? Well, obviously they can just refer back to the school marks to see how well they might've gone - but oh wait, there's no weighting on that and there's no reason to do internal schoolwork because it counts for zero anyway! So who would've done that? No one. So maybe the person who would've gotten 100 in MX2 but didn't because she was sick on that day fails and has to repeat the HSC.

Now that's not fair.

This system in place now is fairer as it rewards constant work through the year. Do well internally and get a good rank, do well externally and have a good HSC mark to combine with the internal moderated mark.
The system you describe is what is was like when I did the HSC in the 70s and it worked because the schools had to ensure that students regularly did class work (and they had to attend a minimum percentage of time, which despite what many schools tell students today isn't a requirement). If a student was ill on the day, or had other reasons for not performing the BOS would ask the school for a rank based on classwork - not as formal as it is today but informal and based on a lot more work than simply 4 or 5 pieces of work done over the year e.g. in Modern History we had to write at least one essay per week to be handed in and marked. If I get one essay a term from my classes I am doing well as the students always use the excuse 'I couldn't do it because I had to do an assessment task for xxx'. Consequently the student would still not be disadvantaged as the BOS would be able to slot the student into the right place in the order - just as they do now.

The only reason to repeat was if you didn't get the marks you needed to get into the course you wanted or if you actually failed the HSC - yes you could actually fail and not get an HSC (by the simple method of failing English - fail English = no HSC = no uni).

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It doesn't matter what school you go to. You will eventually get the marks you deserve. Don't worry too much about the rankings. Just know your weaknesses and enhance them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)