Do you self-learn in Yr 11 and 12? (2 Viewers)

Protract

HSC
Like teaching things to yourself, do you have to self learn more than you learn from your teachers?

enoilgam

HSC
Yes, most of the time I taught myself the content, especially in year 12. For me it was much easier to learn off the syllabus myself, as it told you exactly what you needed to know, whereas my teachers often diverted from the it. Thats why I found self-directed learning to be most efficient and effective for the HSC. However, in saying that, for maths, I learned 90% of the concepts from my teachers because I found it too difficult to learn on my own.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
A little in Yr 11, but when I go into Yr 12 I'll probably be doing it a lot. Ideally, I'd like to be "ahead" in Yr 12, so when we go over stuff in class it's revision but might be hard because I'm away all term 3 holidays so won't be able to use that to get head started, and I'm too jam packed with non school stuff this term to start now, I gotta focus on doing decently in Yr 11 yearlies.

enoilgam

HSC
Schools must follow the syllabus, but often teachers teach it in a way which is non linear, or they place too much emphasis on some points and not enough on others. Also, teachers dont tell you what part of the syllabus they are teaching you. So when it comes time to revise for your exams, your often left unsure as to what exactly it is you need to know. Not all teachers are like this, but the majority of them are (I'd say 70%)

Protract

HSC
So its very important to cover every dot point in the syllabus with self learning?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
So its very important to cover every dot point in the syllabus with self learning?
There's no other reason to self learn, you need to know every single dot point, and as stated above, most teachers don't do this well enough and don't tell you which dot point they are teaching.

muzeikchun852

HSC
i personally wont just go off and learn the content myself. but if im in a hurry to learn the content (i.e. 30 dot points in one week), i would rather learn it on my own.

enoilgam

HSC
Covering ever single dot point in the syllubus is essential when learning any topic in any subject.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, most of the time I taught myself the content, especially in year 12. For me it was much easier to learn off the syllabus myself, as it told you exactly what you needed to know, whereas my teachers often diverted from the it. Thats why I found self-directed learning to be most efficient and effective for the HSC. However, in saying that, for maths, I learned 90% of the concepts from my teachers because I found it too difficult to learn on my own.
^ This. I find school sometimes a waste of time, and at other times it serves as a good renforcement for when you're making notes. Maybe that's just me but yeah, maths I pick up a lot from the teacher, esp when concepts are new. But now since everything is pretty much finished, it's up to us to self-study and ask questions we are uncertain of. We are just going through past papers now and finishing any last topics left.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
No. I'm too lazy and make sure I know everything in the classroom so I don't really go over it later either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)