CSSA Studies of Religion (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
SOR exams...

For the extended response section, my SOR teacher told all of the SOR students to do Christianity (20marker). The question will probably be vague and I'm planning to incorporate Paul + ethics + practices together.

The question is, how do you guys layout your SOR essays if your incorporating all three??

Do you do

Intro
Body 1 (paul)
Body 2 (ethic)
Body 3 (practice) ?

enoilgam

HSC
Re: SOR exams...

For the extended response section, my SOR teacher told all of the SOR students to do Christianity (20marker). The question will probably be vague and I'm planning to incorporate Paul + ethics + practices together.

The question is, how do you guys layout your SOR essays if your incorporating all three??

Do you do

Intro
Body 1 (paul)
Body 2 (ethic)
Body 3 (practice) ?
Thats the way you are supposed to do it. Each of the three are supposed to support your argument in relation to the question.

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC

Do you do

Intro
Body 1 (paul)
Body 2 (ethic)
Body 3 (practice) ?
Yeah bro, thats what i did and got 19 for last one to easy, just make sure you integrate arguments between and don't just jump..

jamesfirst

HSC

Thats the way you are supposed to do it. Each of the three are supposed to support your argument in relation to the question.
yeah... cos I thought it would be more sophisticated if I am kinda relating all of it in 1 paragraph and writing 3 paragraphs that way.

BTW, how many bible references or examples do we have to have per paragraph?

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC

Well say for example, in your topic sentence on ethics you should also mention paul like through similar expressions of beliefs and draw similiarities etc.. Just don't jump from Paul. Ethics. Practice.
My teacher marked HSC last year and said that can limit your mark or some shit

enoilgam

HSC

There is no magic number, you just have to have a sense for when a quote is needed. But generally, you should aim to have at least 1-2 for each paragraph. In addition to biblical quotes its also a good idea to use quotes from popes, papal bulls/encyclicals or quotes from other signifcant church clergymen (archbishops of canterbury etc). This is a good way of getting the edge over other students because most stick to biblical quotes.

jamesfirst

HSC

Hmm I was actually thinking of 4 quotes. But Imma cut it to 2-3 now.

btw is it good to have the quote or is it okay to make the reference (such as Acts xxx) in brackets.

I actually MIGHT not do marriage, because we haven't finished it and the teacher said that he doesn't expect us to write about it. So if it was just Paul and Ethics, how would you lay out your essay ?

enoilgam

HSC

Usually I didnt put them in brackets, as I would state the reference then quote it e.g. "Generally, Christians see baptism as been highly important for a person to achieve salvation and enter into heaven, with Jesus stating in Mark 16:16 that “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned”

I'd lay the essay out like you originally planned to, only without marriage. Make sure that your teacher doesnt want you to discuss marriage, because in my trial I did bio-ethics and St Francis, but I didnt do baptism. My teachers marked me down for it.

jamesfirst

HSC

Usually I didnt put them in brackets, as I would state the reference then quote it e.g. "Generally, Christians see baptism as been highly important for a person to achieve salvation and enter into heaven, with Jesus stating in Mark 16:16 that “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned”

I'd lay the essay out like you originally planned to, only without marriage. Make sure that your teacher doesnt want you to discuss marriage, because in my trial I did bio-ethics and St Francis, but I didnt do baptism. My teachers marked me down for it.

I'm hesitating whether I should do marriage. It'll be easier if I do because I have less shit to talk about for Paul and Ethics...

If I was to take out marriage... Do I just write a longer 2 paragraphs, each containing Paul and ethics ?

enoilgam

HSC

If I was to take out marriage... Do I just write a longer 2 paragraphs, each containing Paul and ethics ?
Yeh, you would need to put more detail into Paul and ethics in order to compensate for not having marriage. Like I said though, double check with your teacher to make sure that he doesnt want you to do marriage.

jamesfirst

HSC

Yeh, you would need to put more detail into Paul and ethics in order to compensate for not having marriage. Like I said though, double check with your teacher to make sure that he doesnt want you to do marriage.
the exam is 2 days later.

well he did tell us that we should do paul + ethics. But nothing about marriage. Apparently, some people are going to do marriage, so I'm thinking of also since it'll be easier.

anne1010

HSC

if someone takes a look at the 2008 paper it says to analyse the how the christian ethical teachings are expressed in whatever one your doing. would u seriously write a whole essay on just bio ethics and not incorporate the signifiant person or practice. im confused as to what you'd put in that essay :S

enoilgam

HSC

Yes, but in 2009 and 2010 the question was not specific. Obviously, if the question is on ethics, you wouldnt talk about marriage or the significant person

jamesfirst

HSC

According to my SOR teacher, he is the head of religion, from now on they will not ask a specific dot point, but would ask a question where you'd have to incorporate all three.

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah that's what i have been told aswell, hope the CSSA has that tomorrow because i possibly couldn't go in depth for one dot point

Beachtraveller

HSC

They can not specify any - then you would talk about 1, or 2, or 3
Could specify 3 areas
Could specify 2 areas
Could specify 1 area
Be flexible :)

LonelyWolf

HSC

I don't get it, say you're doing the question 'how does bioethics influence the life of an adherent?'

Would you just:
1. What is it
2. What's the Church teaching
3. 'If someone has a child they msut keep it, because of what church says'

Would that be the correct structure?

Supastar22

HSC

Apparently tomorrows extended response is similar to the 2010 hsc papers extended response. Our teachers say that we should integrate everything we learnt from prelim and hsc into our response aswell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)