Science (Advanced Maths) with Comm or Engineering? (1 Viewer)

Kajixtatsu

HSC
I know a few people doing Commerce/Science (Advanced Maths), most of them want to do actuary. But if you like maths then go ahead and take it, the maths components should only be 2 hours lectures and 1 hour for tutorials, which is the same as Commerce courses. Just choose for yourself whether or not you'd like to pick Commerce or Engineering. Engineering students do have somewhere near 24 hours while Commerce is usually 12.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Advanced math with engo sounds a bit pointless tbh, you learn what you need in a normal eng degree and already have honours for that, adv sci would just be for fun I guess and you'd be restricted to a 70 average.

Eng/Comm is much better imo I should have done that, I hate you kaz

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a few people doing Commerce/Science (Advanced Maths), most of them want to do actuary. But if you like maths then go ahead and take it, the maths components should only be 2 hours lectures and 1 hour for tutorials, which is the same as Commerce courses. Just choose for yourself whether or not you'd like to pick Commerce or Engineering. Engineering students do have somewhere near 24 hours while Commerce is usually 12.
Maths components (in first year anyway) are 4hrs total for lectures and 2hrs of tutorials

HSC
N/A
As others have said, there isn't a lot of difference between advanced maths and a BSc majoring in maths. With a couple of minor exceptions you do the same courses and they don't really care which program you are in for entry into honours (if you want to do that) - just whether you have done well enough at the higher courses. I think that you can't do the Quantitative Risk program (whatever that is?)

I think most people doing BE/Maths are doing Elec/Comp/Software sorts of things rather than civil, but I could be wrong. Mainly doing the maths cos it interests them...I know a few who have gone off to work at NICTA after graduating.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
As others have said, there isn't a lot of difference between advanced maths and a BSc majoring in maths. With a couple of minor exceptions you do the same courses and they don't really care which program you are in for entry into honours (if you want to do that) - just whether you have done well enough at the higher courses. I think that you can't do the Quantitative Risk program (whatever that is?)
Actuarials do it to operate better in a business environment

matrix1

Banned
HSC
N/A
Maths @ university is pretty piss easy. Out of all the schools , maths has the most predictable final exams of the lot, they don't even try to make it hard. It's just memorising how to do some standard questions and you get a HD.

Maths/Engineering is pointless, same with Science/Engineering.

Engineering should only be combined with commerce.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Maths @ university is pretty piss easy. Out of all the schools , maths has the most predictable final exams of the lot, they don't even try to make it hard. It's just memorising how to do some standard questions and you get a HD.

Maths/Engineering is pointless, same with Science/Engineering.

Engineering should only be combined with commerce.
cool story bro

I have another one for you: I started maths tutoring yesterday. Funny thing as well, I didn't have to whine over a high school forum to get someone to take up the offer either. u jelly?

E

econ1101

cool story bro

I have another one for you: I started maths tutoring yesterday. Funny thing as well, I didn't have to whine over a high school forum to get someone to take up the offer either. u jelly?
You failed 4unit, any student that gets you as a tutor will be disappointed :p. Have you seen the number of students on here that have said "I had to teach my own tutor" or "tutors are a waste"? Well, those comments are partly because of fails like you. These little kiddos refuse the help from the knowledgeable people offering it for free, then they go to a dumbass tutor(you know, someone like you that failed 4unit), pay them and realise how shit they are, and then they generalise about all tutors being a waste of time and money.

It doesn't really worry me if you are telling the truth or not , you will be caught out one day.

I was trying to help people and trying to reduce the amount of people that have had crap tutors but if they won't listen then there is not a lot else I can do.

E

econ1101

It's possible to be a pretty piss poor student but a good teacher
Not if you are that crap that you don't even know the basics of what you are trying to teach lol.

Someone that got 59/120 for a subject is hardly knowledgeable enough to even think about offering people help in it. v

HSC
N/A
Ho, ho! That must be why they always end up scaling MATH1141/(just about everything) up so much. One of the lecturers showed us some of the raw stats once. Hardly anyone gets more than 90% raw. As for the later year higher exams...I don't remember anyone calling them piss easy.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You failed 4unit, any student that gets you as a tutor will be disappointed :p. Have you seen the number of students on here that have said "I had to teach my own tutor" or "tutors are a waste"? Well, those comments are partly because of fails like you. These little kiddos refuse the help from the knowledgeable people offering it for free, then they go to a dumbass tutor(you know, someone like you that failed 4unit), pay them and realise how shit they are, and then they generalise about all tutors being a waste of time and money.

It doesn't really worry me if you are telling the truth or not , you will be caught out one day.

I was trying to help people and trying to reduce the amount of people that have had crap tutors but if they won't listen then there is not a lot else I can do.
lol m8, I'm tutoring Year 11 2 unit maths because the student I have (heard of those? They're people who hire you for tutoring services) is in Year 11.

Besides, if you're so good... won't you have people lining up to have you as their tutor? Oh wait.

E

elmo2

Ho, ho! That must be why they always end up scaling MATH1141/(just about everything) up so much. One of the lecturers showed us some of the raw stats once. Hardly anyone gets more than 90% raw. As for the later year higher exams...I don't remember anyone calling them piss easy.
sarcasm???

Look maths is piss easy k.

Last semester I did math2A (complex analy and vector cal) and it was just SO easy. A few days before the final exam I was searching for past papers on the unsw library catalogue , I came across a question 6 (last question in the exam) that was from I think 2007 and I couldn't quite understand what it meant. I really meant to ask one of the lecturers in the consulation in the like last 2days before the exam but unfortunately I was in kind of a panic mode and forgot about it. Then one the day of the final exam guess what I see? The exact same question! I was a little annoyed I didn't ask, maybe I would have got like 93 instead of 89, but what can you do?

Maths subjects are a joke! 4quizzes in the tutorials worth 7.5% each all they had were 3 basic questions that were just slightly modified from the tutorial problem sets. The easiest 30% I have ever got at university! Then some maths subjects have Maple computer tests and what not, another joke! Tons of easy marks.

I checked for exam papers of real analysis and complex analysis ( i.e. the two separate halves of Mathematics 2A , so to speak) and the exams were so predictable (especially the complex analysis ones) , (1/3)rd of the complex analysis paper were always two questions on evaluating improper integrals by the two complex methods).

You see all the people on this site advertising maths tutoring "Maths Tutor , Advanced Maths Student @ UNSW , has 90WAM" and you think big deal, that's piss easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
sarcasm???

Look maths is piss k.

Last semester I did math2A (complex analy and vector cal) and it was just SO easy. A few days before the final exam I was searching for past papers on the unsw library catalogue , I came across a question 6 (last question in the exam) that was from I think 2007 and I couldn't quite understand what it meant. I really meant to ask one of the lecturers in the consulation in the like last 2days before the exam but unfortunately I was in kind of a panic mode and forgot about it. Then one the day of the final exam guess what I see? The exact same question! I was a little annoyed I didn't ask, maybe I would have got like 93 instead of 89, but what can you do?

Maths subjects are a joke! 4quizzes in the tutorials worth 7.5% each all they had were 3 basic questions that were just slightly modified from the tutorial problem sets. The easiest 30% I have ever got at university! Then some maths subjects have Maple computer tests and what not, another joke! Tons of easy marks.

I checked for exam papers of real analysis and complex analysis ( i.e. the two separate halves of Mathematics 2A , so to speak) and the exams were so predictable (especially the complex analysis ones) , (1/3)rd of the complex analysis paper were always two questions on evaluating improper integrals by the two complex methods).

You see all the people on this site "Maths Tutor , Advanced Maths Student @ UNSW , has 90WAM" and you think big deal, that's piss easy.
If it's so easy, why are you on a credit average overall? LOLOLOLOL

E

elmo2

If it's so easy, why are you on a credit average overall? LOLOLOLOL
because maths has only made up 1/4 of my subjects so far (did you pass maths? Wait you didn't, FAIL! ), idiot. Engineering only does one maths subject per semester wanker.

Also its distinction average, my current WAM altogether is 75.8 , and that will rise this semester with these nice easy commerce subjects. :p

E

elmo2

I seriously think hsc maths is harder than uni maths. (well university maths is 10 times easier than high school maths, otherwise idiots will think I found high school maths hard and question why I offered tutoring).

Uni maths is 10 times more predictable than hsc maths.

Look shadowdude does advanced maths and he is a COMPLETE idiot, what more proof do you want? Confirmed piss easy.

HSC
N/A
Last semester I did math2A (complex analy and vector cal) and it was just SO easy.
You see all the people on this site advertising maths tutoring "Maths Tutor , Advanced Maths Student @ UNSW , has 90WAM" and you think big deal, that's piss easy.
For the benefit of the OP, Math2A is an engineering maths course, designed to be nice and predictable so that people like this can do well without having to work too hard. The higher maths courses that Adv Math students do are significantly more theoretical and challenging. WAMs over 90 are pretty rare. I know a few people with WAMs like that but they all had ATARs of 99+.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
because maths has only made up 1/4 of my subjects so far (did you pass maths? Wait you didn't, FAIL! ), idiot. Engineering only does one maths subject per semester wanker.

Also its distinction average, my current WAM altogether is 75.8 , and that will rise this semester with these nice easy commerce subjects. :p
lol m8, I got 84 in Higher Maths 1A - which is 34 marks higher than a fail. Because 84 is a bigger number than 50. Or if you're so good at maths, you might understand it in this way: 84 > 50.

I seriously think hsc maths is harder than uni maths. (well university maths is 10 times easier than high school maths, otherwise idiots will think I found high school maths hard and question why I offered tutoring).

Uni maths is 10 times more predictable than hsc maths.

Look shadowdude does advanced maths and he is a COMPLETE idiot, what more proof do you want? Confirmed piss easy.
I'm the complete idiot? See above quote on the comparison of 84 to 50.

michaeljennings

HSC
For the benefit of the OP, Math2A is an engineering maths course, designed to be nice and predictable so that people like this can do well without having to work too hard. The higher maths courses that Adv Math students do are significantly more theoretical and challenging. WAMs over 90 are pretty rare. I know a few people with WAMs like that but they all had ATARs of 99+.
thanks for all the help =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)