to what extent is ranking important? (1 Viewer)

theycallmebob

HSC
if you have bad ranks, like maybe ranks of 10+, but good marks, and you go extremely well in the externals, can you get 99?

taeyang

HSC
gah...................... It depends on what your school rank is, where abouts the "10+" is sitting, you could have like 250 people in a year for a subject.

So yeh you can get it, if you go to Ruse/SBH/Baulko.... what ever, pretty unlikely if you are at a school >200

theycallmebob

HSC
my school rank is 490 lol, but there are some good students.

and there is about 300 in the year

taeyang

HSC
Well, if you're coming 1st you have nothing to worry about.

taeyang

HSC
You have to share how many people are in each class and your rankings within each before we can tell you anything

Serenely

HSC
Well if you go to a school like Ruse, then your internal subject ranks won't really matter... because everyone ends up doing extremely well in the HSC (similar, high marks).
Basically, it comes down to the school. If your cohort is going to drag you down, it's best to put in the effort to get that high rank. In a badly ranked school, your ranks are very important.

Gigacube

HSC
The marks in between your ranks are also important. It won't affect you if you're first or last in the course as you will keep that mark.

theycallmebob

HSC
Well if you go to a school like Ruse, then your internal subject ranks won't really matter... because everyone ends up doing extremely well in the HSC (similar, high marks).
Basically, it comes down to the school. If your cohort is going to drag you down, it's best to put in the effort to get that high rank. In a badly ranked school, your ranks are very important.
so would you recommend changing schools before next term for yr 12?

The marks in between your ranks are also important. It won't affect you if you're first or last in the course as you will keep that mark.
what do you mean?

enoilgam

HSC
Your ranks are the MOST important aspect of your internal marks. It is better to be coming 1st on 60% then 5th on 80%. However, raw percentages are used by the BOS to determine the relative gaps between you and your competitors like Gigacube said.

theycallmebob

HSC
Your ranks are the MOST important aspect of your internal marks. It is better to be coming 1st on 60% then 5th on 80%. However, raw percentages are used by the BOS to determine the relative gaps between you and your competitors like Gigacube said.
but if you get 60% you are not likely to gain 1st place right? and does your actual mark have ANY bearing on your ATAR?

enoilgam

HSC
but if you get 60% you are not likely to gain 1st place right? and does your actual mark have ANY bearing on your ATAR?
Well, Im assuming that 60% is enough in my scenario. Your raw internal mark has little bearing on your ATAR. Ranks on the other hand do.

theycallmebob

HSC
Well, Im assuming that 60% is enough in my scenario. Your raw internal mark has little bearing on your ATAR. Ranks on the other hand do.
oh really? 60% sounds pretty doable.. what is your scenario?

Serenely

HSC
No.
Just put in the effort and get a good rank.
How are the students who are ranked higher than you doing? Are they doing really well in their exams?...
If they aren't doing very well, then I'd suggest that you put in some effort to achieve a better rank (preferably 1st, if that isn't too hard).

theycallmebob

HSC
No.
Just put in the effort and get a good rank.
How are the students who are ranked higher than you doing? Are they doing really well in their exams?...
If they aren't doing very well, then I'd suggest that you put in some effort to achieve a better rank (preferably 1st, if that isn't too hard).
i dont know, prelims are next week. theres probably only a few people in the year who are actually intelligent, so i think 1st to 3rd place is an easy goal. but if there is ANY advantage in going to a selective school as far as moderation is concerned, then i would change schools. i can't afford to loose any ATAR points

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are in Year 12, then I wouldn't see the point in doing this nor would any school really accept you at this stage. Why does it matter what school, you attend? Attain a solid rank and everything else is negated.

Albeit ranking 10+ in a 490 school would be hard to transfer into Ruse, Baulko and etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)