General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

carolineXO

HSC
Re: How Great Was That?

i love place!

haha i didn't really prepare anything for places but it was such an easy theme to base my text and especially related text to aswell. Hated those texts in section 1! i always zone out and then have to reread it because i get bored :/ such a waste of time. And creative was a bit odd how we "may" refer to the stimulis.. could have written about pretty much anything! but i did base my peice on the image because i had nothing prepared.

Entity

HSC

Did anybody else do The Simple Gift? Pretty straightforward to relate to place. But I have to say, I didn't particularly like the whole "belonging to place" being the overall theme. Nevertheless, it wasn't too bad. I'm hoping for around an 80%+ (85%, if I'm lucky). Did anybody actually use the creative writing stimulus? I think the use of the word "may" kinda ensured no one would use it
Yep! Suited the question quite well didn't it? I also used George Orwell's 1984 as my related text.

MurLach

HSC
N/A

the paper was incredibly easy, i was so nervous beforehand but ended up writing 8 pages, 7 pages, 9 pages, will surely get 42/45 at least :)

forthehsc

HSC

the paper was incredibly easy, i was so nervous beforehand but ended up writing 8 pages, 7 pages, 9 pages, will surely get 42/45 at least :)
am i the only one not feeling confident about their marks? everyone seems to think they'll be getting high 30's/40's

stevenE

HSC
Expecting a band 4-5 for this paper , nailed the essay but it took an hour to do >.< all up i finished with 3 minutes remaining so i was stoked! :)

varun_294

HSC
Worst Paper ive ever done!!

Section- couldnt do last 5 marker as no time os max il get is 7

Section II- Ok but hit a writers block and ran out of idea so scribbled out a page and started again about a guy who is invited to give the keynote address in his school's graduation 10 years later and his speech based on how he regrets sacrificing memories in his school for a high mark (repeated "all for a medal and certificate") im guessin 11-10

Section III- great question for Skrzynecki im guessing prob 10-12

catalyst91

HSC

am i the only one not feeling confident about their marks? everyone seems to think they'll be getting high 30's/40's
I'm with you, and I think the rest of the students that did Crucible will side with you too.
Let's hope the accept our bullshittery.

shaniika10

HSC

i ran out of time for my creative writing! D:

michaeljennings

HSC

Just a question but you know for the short answers, one of the questions had a quote with it I think it was the one on Eilis, did you need to use the quote in your answer ?

Mistriousfrog

HSC

Personally, I think we had some of the laziest exam writers ever. In the past 10 years there has not been a single paper that was so focussed on one topic like this one. Why was every single question specified to Places? At least put some variety or wiggle room in there. What was even worse though, is that they used the exact same stimulis for both the short answer and the creative writing. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Could they not find another picture? This is something that should never happen. I may seem as though I'm ranting but I am probably just a little ticked off as I had to rewrite my story in the exam to specify places instead of it's original plot.

Official

Bring it on
HSC

Just a question but you know for the short answers, one of the questions had a quote with it I think it was the one on Eilis, did you need to use the quote in your answer ?
Nah, you don't have to use the quote in your answer

Paper was ok, to be honest pretty generic and much more 'theme' based as opposed to any other year

norez

HSC

The facebook groups are priceless:

"Naturally, Eilis would picture her mother writing a letter in the kitchen."

"Only Jack would complain about having a 6 month trip around the world"

"The awkward moment when the visual stimulus is optional."

"Realising that you were drunk when you created the HSC image"

"Being too lazy to create a new stimulus, so you just crop the visual text."

"Using Grandma's knitted blanket as inspiration for the HSC visual text."

"Not moving to Brooklyn because it's impossible to belong there."

Tsunayoshi

Full Time Mime
HSC

LMAO @ norez. haha.. regarding the exam though.. =3

I was cheering when i saw the word "place" written all over the paper. :p

And yes i am but another student, who failed to realise that you didnt need to use the stimulus text for the creative writing.. -__-

But overall, i think i did really, really well, and that the paper was easy also! Dreading tomorrow though..

amour

Female
HSC

The facebook groups are priceless:

"Naturally, Eilis would picture her mother writing a letter in the kitchen."

"Only Jack would complain about having a 6 month trip around the world"

"The awkward moment when the visual stimulus is optional."

"Realising that you were drunk when you created the HSC image"

"Being too lazy to create a new stimulus, so you just crop the visual text."

"Using Grandma's knitted blanket as inspiration for the HSC visual text."

"Not moving to Brooklyn because it's impossible to belong there."
<3 oh how i miss Fb

Mistriousfrog

HSC

I did see a few of them. it is only to be expected though, I was thouroughly disappointed with this paper.

WaterIsLiquid

HSC

Let's say we didnt mention place in the topic sentences however in all of the paragraphs we provided quotes and techniques explaining how belonging can be influenced by place. do we still lose marks?

Mistriousfrog

HSC

well the topic sentences are supposed to prefix what you are actually writing about so it may leave inconsistency in your writing which could potentially lose marks. There are alot of variable though so as long as it was structured soundly it shouldn't be to bad.

WaterIsLiquid

HSC

well the topic sentences are supposed to prefix what you are actually writing about so it may leave inconsistency in your writing which could potentially lose marks. There are alot of variable though so as long as it was structured soundly it shouldn't be to bad.
thanks, I thought i didnt answer the question and would of gotten 0 lmao.

Mistriousfrog

HSC

even if you didn't adress the question in your topic sentences, so long as it is answered in your main discussion you should still get decent marks.

PH011

HSC

got so lucky in the test because my prepared answers were all about place :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)