General Thoughts: Biology (2 Viewers)

catalyst91

HSC
So would Cytotoxic T be the correct answer?
In my opinion, yes. That's what I put down and I'm pretty sure that's what they are.. I'm like 90% certain.

Also Wikipedia says (I know they're not very reputable but hey, it consistent with what I'm saying) - "A cytotoxic T cell (also known as TC, CTL, T-Killer cell, cytolytic T cell, CD8+ T-cells or killer T cell) "
So it says Cytotoxic, also known as... so I assume Cytotoxic is the right terminology.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think they are the same, but I think that Killer T cells is just the name that you call it in school, I'm pretty sure the actual name is Cytotoxic T (Cyto = cell, Toxic = killer) that's how we learnt it in school at least..
Surely, if this was the case both answers would have to be correct.

Sketchkov

HSC
Wow, I don't even know half the shit you guys are saying. I failed it so hard. I wrote 3 lines for the last question of Communication. However, the 6 marker I actually managed a half decent answer. Multiple choice was fail. The exam overall, sucked, and I really would be lucky to scrape a 50. :/

catalyst91

HSC
Surely, if this was the case both answers would have to be correct.
Yeah I'm just trying to think in terms of how BOS did when they set this out.
They are essentially the same thing, just different words for them.
Cytotoxic seemed more logical one to choose because I think they were trying to trick people... they usually do, they probably assumed not many people knew what Cytotoxic T did.

catalyst91

HSC
haha don't worry, some people got a lot more wrong.
Imo this years paper was way trickier than past papers.
I was acing past papers but this one made you think a lot harder about everything.

HSC
Also, wtf is the difference between Cytotoxic and killer? My teacher told me theyre the same thing..... I chose cytotoxic

2011_

HSC
I agree, 4 is C. And on the cytotoxic / killer thing: I have read about cytotoxic but my class Teacher always said "killer", as do some of my text books. So I got to the exam and thought "What's the difference?". Oh well, got it wrong I guess.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
What stuff did people talk about in the last 7 marker question?
- I talked about how biological advancements in identifying cause of disease (Pasteur/Koch) allowed treatments to be developed such as antibiotics (first developed by Fleming - penicillin) --> overall better health for society.
- Then I talked about Beadle/Tatum and their 'one gene-one polypeptide' hypothesis and how this proved that the mutation of a gene causes different proteins to be produced and therefore different alleles --> new traits. Thus, by irradiating the fungus, the new traits are beneficial for society as it can cure bacterial diseases.
- Then I bs'd the rest about enzymes... :)
I wasn't exactly sure how to explain the enzyme stuff it gave, but I tried anyway.
I focused one the "implications for society" part and used examples to talk about how technological development raises ethical issues in science. E.g. the use of radiation and its link with producing cancer for the fungus stimulus, then talked about genetic engineering such as cloning and transgenic species and why they raise implications for society and how they can be managed effectively.

1981Grant

HSC
I still can't believe you were unsure of the Y lizard one. I set up the data loggers at our school. XD
Yeah, we go pretty indepth into the syllabus and we are pretty much expected to the third column on our own except for the experiments. I haven't encountered an experiment like that ever, so I pretty much just tried for the most logical choice, which was actually clock as they didn't have demonstrate a timepiece to measure for the second variable.

Forev3r

HSC
I thought the exam was straightforward and easy >.< much much more willing to do this paper than the 3 unit maths =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)