Economics (1 Viewer)

dragons2011

HSC
N/A
Hey what do you think will be the band 6 cut off this year?
Thanks

Bobbo1

HSC
its hard to say with some finding it harder others easier...personally i think it'll drop to about 80 from 82 due to the extremely hard m/c

determine

Premium Member
HSC
its hard to say with some finding it harder others easier...personally i think it'll drop to about 80 from 82 due to the extremely hard m/c
trust me, the multiple choice will not be enough to drive the cut-off down to 80. think about it, multiple choice is only 20% of the exam. it will be more than 82 last year for sure. about 84-85 I predict.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
trust me, the multiple choice will not be enough to drive the cut-off down to 80. think about it, multiple choice is only 20% of the exam. it will be more than 82 last year for sure. about 84-85 I predict.
The only part of the exam that was easier was essays which are 40% of the exam and the rest was equal to or more difficult than the 2010 paper. Even then arguably the wording of some essays made them more difficult than they could have been so I really dont think the cutoff will change much at all.

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
You do realize that 20 marks is actually a fifth of the paper- in saying that it was definitely harder in comparison to past years. Markers take this to account thus affecting the whole paper. I'm sure the raw mark will change but lower- definitely not 85. I have not seen an Eco paper ever needing an 85 to get a band 6. And just looking/ doing other exams, 2011 multiple choice definitely makes you think twice! I mean 2011 paper was on par in terms of essays for past years especially 2008. AND 2008 needed less than 85 for a band 6 given that many described it as a 'gift' exam with piss easy multiple choice. So in saying that I must disagree and say that at the WORST Eco this yr requires an 83, but not higher. In fact I think it will stay along the lines of previous years- 80-81

gunat61

HSC
i thought last year's paper seemed harder than this year. they had hard MC and hard essays i reckon but short answers seem around the same imo.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
i thought last year's paper seemed harder than this year. they had hard MC and hard essays i reckon but short answers seem around the same imo.
yeah, exactly. i think i agree with that. so maybe it'll be 83 or 84 instead of 85 cut-off haha. it's a very sensitive issue!

myafanatic

HSC
I don't think the difficulty of the essay questions for economics really changes much from year to year; it's just about personal strengths. For example, Topic 4 was my worst and so I didn't like the essays, but I love protection and environment, so I would have loved last years paper.

This years MC were definitely harder and I'd say short answers were about the same (the past 2 years have seen a trend to harder short answers though).

Overall I really don't think the cutoff is likely to change, it'll probably be around 80-81 - 85 would be ridiculous for a difficult subject with a fairly challenging exam in some respects.

gunat61

HSC
I don't think the difficulty of the essay questions for economics really changes much from year to year; it's just about personal strengths. For example, Topic 4 was my worst and so I didn't like the essays, but I love protection and environment, so I would have loved last years paper.

This years MC were definitely harder and I'd say short answers were about the same (the past 2 years have seen a trend to harder short answers though).

Overall I really don't think the cutoff is likely to change, it'll probably be around 80-81 - 85 would be ridiculous for a difficult subject with a fairly challenging exam in some respects.
i hope you're right! :p .. the lower the better. yeah maybe 85 is a little too high XD

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Same, for me i would have done a lot better if i sat last years paper (probably almost 10 more raw marks).

Bobbo1

HSC
even though u might be saying its only m/c, im pretty everyone would have got about 2 marks lower than what they would have been getting, short answers were about the same and the essays were pretty vague so i think people will be getting about the same in these sections

dragons2011

HSC
N/A
the essays were pretty vague so i think people will be getting about the same in these sections
but if they were vague in order to get high marks you would need to go beyond syllabus and they would mark way more harsher if its an easy essay question so i still think around 81-82

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)