• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SC Science 2011 MARATHON (3 Viewers)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
oh err .. i guess i kind of screwed this up.
Anyway next question: What is the difference between a molecule of an element and a molecule of a compound ?

starryblue

HSC
oh err .. i guess i kind of screwed this up.
Anyway next question: What is the difference between a molecule of an element and a molecule of a compound ?
is that just asking what is the difference between an element and a compound?

starryblue

HSC
an element is one atom while a compound contains 2 or more elements bonded together, correct?

starryblue

HSC
next question: describe Charles Darwin's contribution to natural selection using an example. [4marks]

lath

HSC
next question: describe Charles Darwin's contribution to natural selection using an example. [4marks]
Charles Darwin went to the Galapagos Islands (not sure about spelling lol) and saw 14 different finches, which were geographically isolated and situated in different areas. He noticed that the finches had developed favourable characteristics (e.g. beak size and shape) that allowed them to be better suited/adapted to the environment, therefore increasing their chance of survival, so that they could reproduce and build their population. Anywayz, the finches had developed different characteristics and are now classed as different species. As a result, he proved that the environment selects favourable characteristics so that a species is better adapted to the environment (natural selection) and reduces the frequency of unfavouurable characteristics.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Charles Darwin went to the Galapagos Islands (not sure about spelling lol) and saw 14 different finches, which were geographically isolated and situated in different areas. He noticed that the finches had developed favourable characteristics (e.g. beak size and shape) that allowed them to be better suited/adapted to the environment, therefore increasing their chance of survival, so that they could reproduce and build their population. Anywayz, the finches had developed different characteristics and are now classed as different species. As a result, he proved that the environment selects favourable characteristics so that a species is better adapted to the environment (natural selection) and reduces the frequency of unfavouurable characteristics.
Would an example for this explanation be like giraffes?
They needed longer necks to reach for the food in the trees so this was a favourable characteristic which would allow them to adapt in their environment and hence survive. That's why the characteristic of long necks was passed down until even the Modern giraffes?

Magical Kebab

HSC
Would an example for this explanation be like giraffes?
They needed longer necks to reach for the food in the trees so this was a favourable characteristic which would allow them to adapt in their environment and hence survive. That's why the characteristic of long necks was passed down until even the Modern giraffes?
Yep, they need long necks for fetching vegetation, therefore they bred long necked giraffes.

State the 3 main chemical equations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)