• No, Punishments should be even harsher

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
Re: Why is marijuana still illegal?

supposedly for some people

if there is something easier than mainstream work, they will choose that ie crime

probably good traits to look for to create an army/police force

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

i didnt say u said they were equivalent

im saying they're not at all comparable

okay fine if u want to get pedantic saying that they should be legalised JUST because banning them doesn't work is of course stupid

but cmon when is that ever the entire argument

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

selling drugs is actually a really fucking good way to make a fortune for very little amounts of work though there's big risk involved

risk can be seriously mitigated if you are not a total loser

the bigges tproblem with dealers is they are almost always scummy shady dodgy people who attract heat and attention to them like crazy

dealers that act like respectable members of society slip under the radar much better

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

i didnt say u said they were equivalent

im saying they're not at all comparable

okay fine if u want to get pedantic saying that they should be legalised JUST because banning them doesn't work is of course stupid

but cmon when is that ever the entire argument
wtf its used all the time how have you not encountered this argument before

WAR ON DRUGS HAS FAILED

PEOPLE ARE STILL USING DRUGS DRUG USE IS OUT OF CONTROL THEREFORE LEGALISE DRUGS

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

wtf its used all the time how have you not encountered this argument before

WAR ON DRUGS HAS FAILED

PEOPLE ARE STILL USING DRUGS DRUG USE IS OUT OF CONTROL THEREFORE LEGALISE DRUGS
i think a lot of people who say that already accept the condition that using drugs is perfectly fine and personal freedoms shouldnt be infringed on. so people waging the war on drugs are already ignoring this freedom so it is overlooked as an argument against the war on drugs

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

its like yeah we acknowledge that you should be able to do whatever you want but we arent goign to let you ok so its useless to keep saying "but we should be able to smoke whatever we want"

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

but yea maybe ur right about that jimmy idk i dont think about arguments like that that hard vut ive heard that a lot as i said 4real

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

im fine with infringing on peoples personal freedom
yeah i know so is 99% of the population hence the terrible laws of the state of nsw at the moment brah

so thats why it is silly to use that argument to appeal to people to get drugs legalised. people are fine with not letting peopel commit suicide for example sif they care about druggos

but if you show them that the war is futile they dont want to do it anymore. vietnam prime example.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

cosmo why do we need a state

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

i just like to assume that we do for the sake of arguments like this

ugh why did they have to ban kronic

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

its gonna remain legal in victoria forever tho obviously

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

which fagget mod just deleted a heap of posts

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

i never got the "war on drugs will never be won, therefore legalise drugs" argument

war on murder hasnt been won either last time i checked

also nobody goes to fucking jail for taking drugs drug users who go to prison are almost always criminals with long criminal records regardless of their drug use
Comments such as "the war on drugs will never be won", only arise because of the comments of various officials in the UN and US who have repeatedly stated that the war on drugs can and will be won, which is surely the more deluded and unreasonable argument. In 2007 the Howard government famously published the study "the winnable war on drugs". I'm sure I recall in 2011 reading the UN drug tzar saying 'the war on drugs is winnable, it has an end', there are lots of heads still seriously stating that illicit drugs will be eliminated from any major social influence, if severe enough enforcement is enacted.

If the argument "the war on drugs will be won" is going to be made as an argument in favor of prohibition (which it is), then it is fair and necessary to include among other arguments against the 'war on drugs', a correction of any delusions that this policy has an end

I have heard no one sophisticated state "war on drugs will never be won, therefore legalise drugs", it's not a line that anyone who matters would spin, but rather that use has massively increased in the face of 40 years prohibition, more or less onerous punishment hasn't proved effective at decreasing use.

'war on drugs' is a bad metaphor anyway, it's a shame discussion is in those terms.

There is less murder than ever in our society, more crystal meth than ever, tbh you can reasonably argue the war on murder is being won, victory doesn't necessarily mean you eliminate all enemy combatants, whereas on drugs we appear to always go backwards, more liberal states possibly less so.

also nobody goes to fucking jail for taking drugs drug users who go to prison are almost always criminals with long criminal records regardless of their drug use
- Who said drug users do go to prison
- I'm pretty sure this isn't true internationally
- Are you implying it isn't a real war because users don't go to prison

Galladrim

HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-great-debate-that-no-ones-talking-about-20111203-1ocag.html

So, Drug Legalization - Ye or Nay? Illegal drugs that is - I think you all know the ones I'm talking about. This includes other stuff like injection rooms etc

I have never tried drugs, and have no intention of doing so. I hate that so many people lose themselves to such toxic substances, destroying their lives and bodies, not to mention the impact it has on all the people around them. I understand the rationale behind drug legalization, that consumption is inevitable and that if there is a demand someone will supply it, better the government than criminals.

However, in my opinion this simply makes the government the criminals, as they are actively supporting life destroying habits. It is bad enough that people choose to take up such habits, but to give them a nod of approval in the sight of the law is more than I can stomach. In reference to the article above, I am seriously concerned that someone would push such a view. When someone enjoys something which poses such serious consequences both mentally and physically I become increasingly worried about the state of our society.

Help them overcome it? Absolutely. Encourage them to continue it? No.[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]

HSC
Uni Grad
The gubbamans telling it's people what substances they can/can't put into their own bodies is infinitely more abhorrent to me.

Galladrim

HSC
The gubbamans telling it's people what substances they can/can't put into their own bodies is infinitely more abhorrent to me.
It sounds abhorrent doesn't it? Government control over what you do? Restriction of freedom of speech and liberty!!! How dare they!

Haven't you heard of the alcohol limit? Drink a certain amount, and you can't drive. I'd call that a government telling its people what to consume...

Hasn't it occurred to you that people might stop you from doing stupid things because they might actually care about the consequences, and about you?

Your parents might care where you go out and what's consumed there because they don't want a policeman coming to their door in the dead of night to tell them you're not going to be coming back. Your friends might care if you don't eat and refuse all food in search of some ideal of "beauty" because you're too fat. Are they just going to stand by and let you?

These things can spell life or death for people.

HSC
Uni Grad
Unless people are in a situation where damage to another's property is likely, then personal freedoms should trump all else imo.
Alco limit for driving in this case makes sense as there is a reasonable chance of huring others when dui.

No the govt absolutely dont do anything because they care lol, it's all to generate $$$

I have no qualms with trying to ~talk sense~ to someone and help them if they're in an unfavourable situation etc, but if they really want to do something harmful (preferably with knowledge/understanding of the consequences) I don't see why anyone should be able to forcibly prevent them (so long as no one else's property is harmed). Their body, their right to do with it what they will.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Alcohol has a terrible long and short term effect on lots of people and it's legal. Why shouldn't all the other drugs be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)