people who get 99+ Atars..... (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
no clue. iq tests vary a lot :S iirc from ones i've done my scores ranged from like 110 to 160 so um. it's not a very good standardised measure tbh.
http://www.cerebrals.org/wp/tests/jcti/
this is the only accurate one on the net, to 0.95. Certified by lots of high iq societies. It wont lie to you, guaranteed hehe.
Carrotsticks, you might like to try it too.
If you read The Bell Curve by Hernstein and Murray you will gain a better understanding of IQ in society and why i mention it on bos every now and again.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.cerebrals.org/wp/tests/jcti/
this is the only accurate one on the net, to 0.95. Certified by lots of high iq societies. It wont lie to you, guaranteed hehe.
Carrotsticks, you might like to try it too.
If you read The Bell Curve by Hernstein and Murray you will gain a better understanding of IQ in society and why i mention it on bos every now and again.
That was quite fun, I got 111 if anyone is interested. Half the questions were exactly like UMAT and the other half were harder.

hayabusaboston

HSC
That was quite fun, I got 111 if anyone is interested. Half the questions were exactly like UMAT and the other half were harder.
OMG yay! FINALLY a person who doesnt rage on about how pointless and stupid IQ tests are. They are important. Sainteced, you made my evening, thank you. You're the first person to respond to the notion of iq in an embracing and cheerful way on bos. I want to rep you 10 points, how do i do that?

jnney

lemon
HSC
123. im so tired. stupid squares.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Got 130 but didn't get to do the last 5 questions so maybe a bit higher so I'm going say somewhere in between 130 and 135.

RealiseNothing

HSC
OMG yay! FINALLY a person who doesnt rage on about how pointless and stupid IQ tests are. They are important. Sainteced, you made my evening, thank you. You're the first person to respond to the notion of iq in an embracing and cheerful way on bos. I want to rep you 10 points, how do i do that?
You can't choose how many points you give some one, it's based on your rep power.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Got 130 but didn't get to do the last 5 questions so maybe a bit higher so I'm going say somewhere in between 130 and 135.
there are 52 questions, and you only get to do them all if you succeed in a certain amount of preceding questions. Eg if you screw up all of the first 15 or thereabouts, the program will stop immediately and tell you your score WITHOUT giving you a chance to do the other 37. Basically, the smarter you are, the more questions it lets you do.

Getting to 52 will give a score of at least 134 (i think thats it) which is at exactly the 98th percentile according to the Cattell Scale, the score required for mensa.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Are they just people who are naturally bright as a student? or is more about hard work...
For the people who got 99+ can you please shed some of your light and tell us

1) how did you study (how many hours or so a day)?
2) how dedicated you were to your studies?
3) What do you think personally made you achieve a good result?

:)
HSC is much more about hard work. I'm not very smart, but I worked hard. That's why I did well in the HSC, and am not doing so well in uni.

Hours, not many. After school maybe 1-2 hours a night. Weekends, maybe 2-3. Obviously, a lot more towards key points in the HSC journey, exams, trials, finals.

Hard work is the answer. And consistency. You can't study just for Maths Phys and Chem. To do well, you need to study hard for English as well.

HSC
there are 52 questions, and you only get to do them all if you succeed in a certain amount of preceding questions. Eg if you screw up all of the first 15 or thereabouts, the program will stop immediately and tell you your score WITHOUT giving you a chance to do the other 37. Basically, the smarter you are, the more questions it lets you do.

Getting to 52 will give a score of at least 134 (i think thats it) which is at exactly the 98th percentile according to the Cattell Scale, the score required for mensa.
Actually I got to 52 and I only got 121. lol

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, IQ and HSC have very little correlation. I'm willing to bet that my IQ is shit.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

lol I could have sworn that you were on green bar last night...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I say that both natural intelligence aswell as hard work and perseverence play a role in how well you go in HSC.

Some natually intelligent people can get over 90 ATAR without doing any work until a couple of weeks before HSC - no study or no turning up to classes most of the year. It's the hard work that gets these intelligent people over the 95+ ATAR bar all the way up to the 99.95.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
All this talk about 'set' hours everyday is imo one the of the worst ways to approach the HSC. I simply studied until I understood concepts. You really DO reach this point when you're immersed in studying that time really has no bearing. Simply focus on your weak points and study till you get better! (I for one, thoroughly studied English and that definitely helped my ATAR along the way)
So yes, 99+ is quite DEFINITELY achievable by anyone.

RealiseNothing

HSC

I didn't get stopped by getting too many wrong, I got up to question 45 and pressed that "next" button to check how many questions were left because I assumed you could go back questions but it ended up taking me to the submit screen haha. So answered 45 out fo 52 questions and got 130. Will try again using my same answers and do the last 7 this time.

Examine

same
HSC
I didn't get stopped by getting too many wrong, I got up to question 45 and pressed that "next" button to check how many questions were left because I assumed you could go back questions but it ended up taking me to the submit screen haha. So answered 45 out fo 52 questions and got 130. Will try again using my same answers and do the last 7 this time.
hahah after question 50 I went fuck this and guessed the last two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)