Would it be worth dropping down to standard english (2 Viewers)

jg234

HSC
N/A
So far I have been enrolled in the advanced English course and after coming to the end of the prelim year and the first term of HSC work (belonging) my marks are definitely not what I was expecting and I feel like advanced may weigh me down. My marks have not been great and I am wondering whether or not anyone would think dropping to standard would be better if my marks so far are not exactly good

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *jumps slow mo style*

Getting "bad" marks is better than "solid" marks in Standard. And after all, you've done belonging which you have to do in Standard anyway, you may do better in modules.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
To my understanding, it is never good to drop a subject before HYs. Ranks change too.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Chances are if you do 'bad' in advanced, it'll still be better than what you get in standard. plus, like Spiral said, since you've already done an assessment it's going to muck up all your ranks. Instead of contemplating defeat, put more effort into bringing your advanced marks up. get a tutor, write practice essays and get your teacher to mark them, scab essays from the resources section to get ideas from, get some BoS peeps to criticise and fix up parts of your paragraphs.

Bobbo1

HSC
never drop down to standard.

EVER
Yep, the workload between advanced and standard is practically the same and the scaling will definitely compensate for this. Hold onto Advanced as long as you can!

D94

HSC
N/A
The things you need to do in Advanced are the same in Standard (ie. analyse text, quotes, techniques, write essay etc.); you're not benefiting from dropping to Standard. Stay in Advanced.

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey can I just ask... (out of curiousity...and yes I finished hsc --")

I've heard that Standard scales similar to Advanced. it's just the aligning is very far. So that means a person who received a high band 5 in Standard may be equivalent to a low band 6 in Advanced...

So in the end, scaling compensates and which is reflected in the atar. Which means to only say that getting a band 6 in standard may be harder but scaling wise, as long as you try your best and get a high band 5 it should be the same?

Sorry for my ignorance.....--"

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. Advanced and Standard scale the same.
2. Advanced and Standard are reported on a common scale. So an 87 in Standard is better than 86 in Advanced.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
NEVER EVERR DROP ADVANCED

Advanced and Standard scaling are pretty much identical so 90 in advanced = 90 in standard
Advanced - 1/10 students get a band 6
Standard - 1/200 students get a band 6
No the work is not 20x harder nor are the advanced kids 20x smarter
The aligning process just fucks over everyone who does standard so again do NOT drop down to standard unless you want a shit english mark

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering if Standard scales better or ESL

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
NEVER EVERR DROP ADVANCED

Advanced and Standard scaling are pretty much identical so 90 in advanced = 90 in standard
Advanced - 1/10 students get a band 6
Standard - 1/200 students get a band 6
No the work is not 20x harder nor are the advanced kids 20x smarter
The aligning process just fucks over everyone who does standard so again do NOT drop down to standard unless you want a shit english mark
Just wondering if Standard scales better or ESL

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to be in the top ~50 in the state to get a Band 6 in Standard English. You need to be in the top 5000 or so.

Go figure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)