Double degrees- A heavy load?? (1 Viewer)

So, do you spend ur time productively, on TOP of study?

• I work part-time AND do some volunteering while studying a double degree

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I work part-time (only)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do volunteer work (only)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • None- cbb

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • NONE- Are you crazy??? i spend enough hours keeping my Double Degree afloat with decent marks!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
Hi,
Just wondering if you guys could tell me more about the freetime in Double-degree programs.
I think its not impossible to work part-time, from what Ive heard?
BUT on top of that, I wanted to do some volunteering in my 1st year. I dunno, how many hrs is typically free per week? Is this realistic and achievable?

Thanks.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi,
Just wondering if you guys could tell me more about the freetime in Double-degree programs.
BUT on top of that, I wanted to do some volunteering in my 1st year. I dunno, how many hrs is typically free per week? Is this realistic and achievable?

Thanks.
It depends on the double degree you do, your majors (if applicable), as well as the university you go to. Generally speaking, a double degree contains a little bit extra work than a single degree, but certainly not double. Double degrees are usually a year or two longer than a single degree and most often you do an overload (one extra unit per semester). Also, if your degrees are related, you will be excepted from some units (i.e. for a law/commerce degree, you wont be forced to do a business law course).

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
Thanks Enoilgam. What do you think of the work load of Combined Law in general? Any days off during a typical week, perhaps?

enoilgam

HSC
Thanks Enoilgam. What do you think of the work load of Combined Law in general? Any days off during a typical week, perhaps?
Well, you have 15 contact hours a week at my university so you do get one or two days off if your lucky. The workload of combined law depends on you. If your content with P's and C's, then combined law is manageable. If you want D's and HD's then it can be really difficult and stressful. If you find a balance, then you can still have a life with combined law (i.e. work, social life etc). If you want to know more about law, check out my post in this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=274617

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
hmmm... heaps of gret info there!! So... if I do somewhat want to prioritise doing well, perhaps just the part-time job then?

enoilgam

HSC
hmmm... heaps of gret info there!! So... if I do somewhat want to prioritise doing well, perhaps just the part-time job then?
You could probably do a bit more then that. Try experimenting to see what you can and cant cope with once you're in uni.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It depends on the double degree you do, your majors (if applicable), as well as the university you go to. Generally speaking, a double degree contains a little bit extra work than a single degree, but certainly not double. Double degrees are usually a year or two longer than a single degree and most often you do an overload (one extra unit per semester). Also, if your degrees are related, you will be excepted from some units (i.e. for a law/commerce degree, you wont be forced to do a business law course).
No, a double degree is the same amount of work subject-wise because you do four subjects a semester still, and there are only overloads if you want there to be one typically.

enoilgam

HSC
No, a double degree is the same amount of work subject-wise because you do four subjects a semester still, and there are only overloads if you want there to be one typically.
Fair enough - what I was trying to point out is that a double degree doesnt mean that you have double the overall workload.

kcqn93

HSC
Last semester I had 17 hours a week.

Next semester I'll have 34 hours a week.

It just depends on the units that you're doing. (the number of lectures, labs, tutes, practicals for each)

However from what I have seen, Commerce, Arts and Law students usually have less timetabled hours.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hi,

Thanks.
A combined degree is not a heavier load. You're still doing the same number of subjects as you would be for a single degree.

I did Engineering/Science and towards the end of my degree managed to work is such that I only had 2-3 days of uni a week (though I've been told this may be more difficult if you're into experimental sciences). Plenty of chance to work part-time.

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
OH. Ok then. Thx for clearing that up guys =)
Imma be keeping my job then & def be keeping options open for volunteering

Though- kcqn93, 34hrs a week? Whoa thats intense- did you opt for the extra units?

kcqn93

HSC
OH. Ok then. Thx for clearing that up guys =)
Imma be keeping my job then & def be keeping options open for volunteering

Though- kcqn93, 34hrs a week? Whoa thats intense- did you opt for the extra units?
Yeah, I am doing 5 units of study because I dropped Commerce and those units will not count to my degree.

Nevertheless, I'm still going to work part-time and I also hold executive positions for two societies at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)