• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Republican Primaries (4 Viewers)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Gingrich is absolutely surging up the rankings now. A long way out I thought he seemed to the sort of sturdy, reliable, intelligent, mainstream sort of bloke that could actually be a real contender but then there was the thing with his staff quitting and I thought he was gone. But he's well and truly in the race now and he's not like Cain, Bachman or Perry, he won't just fade away in an blaze of erratic crazy. The fact that Romney just can't seem to consolidate his lead; time after time someone else emerges neck and neck with him for a while before they drop off suggests to me there really is limited love for him in the GOP. Romney still the one to beat obviously but for the first time since Huckabee dropped out there is now a credible alternative methinks.
what are you, some politics obsessed fanatic...???

we live in AUSTRALIA

Lentern

HSC
and for the record I never said Obama had a good record on human rights, I said that the future of human rights in the United States was in the hands of Democrats. The only Republicans to have occupied the white house in the post war era have been hardline, big government, evangelical conservatives.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
and for the record I never said Obama had a good record on human rights, I said that the future of human rights in the United States was in the hands of Democrats. The only Republicans to have occupied the white house in the post war era have been hardline, big government, evangelical conservatives.
if you think neoconservatism is the future of the republican party then i can see where you're coming from. but i really don't think it is, and the civil rights conscious democrat heavyweights (i.e. pretty much only kucinich) have no sway.

the future of civil rights in america is in the party and president that preside over a rejuvenated economy

Lentern

HSC
if you think neoconservatism is the future of the republican party then i can see where you're coming from. but i really don't think it is, and the civil rights conscious democrat heavyweights (i.e. pretty much only kucinich) have no sway.

the future of civil rights in america is in the party and president that preside over a rejuvenated economy
I do think neocons are the only Republicans likely to occupy the Whitehouse in my life time. I suspect we'll see a more liberal Obama if he wins a second term which seems unlikely if Romney storms the primaries like he has been doing.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I do think neocons are the only Republicans likely to occupy the Whitehouse in my life time. I suspect we'll see a more liberal Obama if he wins a second term which seems unlikely if Romney storms the primaries like he has been doing.
what makes you think that will happen

Lentern

HSC
I think Obama will be re-elected

but he won't change direction in any sense
I think as a senator he was considerably more liberal than he has been as a President and I think a lot of that has to do with political pragmatism and that with the issue of re-election being neutralized by the twenty second amendment. I could be wrong, one of his daughters might get killed by a terrorist and he might go all hell fire on us but generally, I think it's quite a common concept for heads of government to be more introverted and mimic their predecessor in their first terms before cutting loose in their final ones.

But I think politically Obama is a fairly weak candidate, his silky oratory is great for narratives and stuff but I don't think that stuff really helps with getting elected. Less so in the US than here I'll admit but I generally think its about seeming competent, reliable, effective etc and all the dyamic oratory and ideas of Obama whilst they might inspire the faithful will foster uncertainty among a lot of voters and their confidence in him will therefore lessen. I think against a relatively moderate opponent who seems to be pretty well in control not gaffe prone (hullo Perry hullo Palin) and has no crazy ideas for government like abolishing fiat currency, he would be very hard to beat. However I hold off locking that in until he names his VP candidate because I think nominating a nutter like McCain did could easily undo a lot of those perceptions that he's a sensible, stable guy.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I think as a senator he was considerably more liberal
“Barack Obama came to Washington just six years ago, having spent his professional life as a part-time lawyer, part-time law professor, and part-time state legislator in Illinois. … But there was no mistaking the lightness of his résumé. Just a year before coming to Washington, State Senator Obama was investigating the dangers of a toy known as the Yo-Yo Water Ball. (He tried, unsuccessfully, to have it banned.)
Ryan Lizza, The New Yorker,May 2, 2011

lol

Lentern

HSC
“Barack Obama came to Washington just six years ago, having spent his professional life as a part-time lawyer, part-time law professor, and part-time state legislator in Illinois. … But there was no mistaking the lightness of his résumé. Just a year before coming to Washington, State Senator Obama was investigating the dangers of a toy known as the Yo-Yo Water Ball. (He tried, unsuccessfully, to have it banned.)
Ryan Lizza, The New Yorker,May 2, 2011

lol
Well yeah mate I mean if you can't own a Yo-yo ball then the terrorists have won.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Yo-Yo toys

The issue that REAL progressives are worried about

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
john huntsman drops out and endorses romney

heh

its quite clear that republicans dont think the GOP will win

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Because candidates polling below 10% are dropping out?
"A source said that Huntsman's rationale for now backing Romney, who he has criticized for weeks on the campaign trail as lacking a "core," is that he didn't want to block the person best prepared in the field to beat Obama, and then to lead the country and grapple with the economy."

Garygaz

HSC
romney won't beat obama. to be honest, nor would paul.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)