exact values (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Nothing against the alternative, I'm just saying that for people who are thinking of using that method - in my opinion, learning two triangles is an easier option.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Here's an alternative way - check out this fancy pic of the unit circle:

To use this, you just need to know that because sin = opposite / hypotenuse, in the unit circle sin = y/1. [The hypotenuse is the radius of the unit circle, which is 1]
(Similarly, cos = x/1 and tan = y/x)

E.g. sin(0), look at the point (1,0). sin(0) = y = 0.
sin(pi/2) = y = 1
sin(pi) = y = 0
sin(3pi/2) = y = -1.

^ For these boundary values, when I was first starting out, the unit circle was how I remembered the values. Eventually I was so familiar with the graphs that it was faster to use these instead.

I found the pi/4 value easy to remember, because it is half-way between 0 degrees and 90 degrees (pi/2). This is where the x-value is the same as the y-value, so the cosine value is the same as the sine value.

From the Pythagorean identity, we know that x^2 + y^2 = cos(pi/2)^2 + sin(pi/2)^2 = 1 (the hypotenuse).

Therefore x = y = sqrt(2) /2, which is the exact value for both cos(pi/2) and sin(pi/2) :)

Notice that the Pythagorean identity works for all of the values. You can use it as a simple check to see if your triangle is correct, if you choose to use that method. Personally I found that using the triangle for pi/3 and pi/6 was the fastest.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
pwoh, did you seriously do that...
That's how I knew it as well, but I saw the exact values as measurable distances on the x/y plane, which I perceived to be the cos/sin axes.

Never had any trouble with trig identities after that.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"To each, their own" - I suppose.

If that works for you then... well, you know. Can't argue with that.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
pwoh, did you seriously do that...
Lol I didn't draw out the whole thing, it actually doesn't take long if you just imagine the circle in your head. I have to do this because I have terrible memory :(

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Another alternative if you want to memorise the decimals and be a master. (Learn 1-3 a week)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
"To each, their own" - I suppose.

If that works for you then... well, you know. Can't argue with that.
Exactly the case. If you understand it one way (and it's correct and efficient), then by all means continue.

I am only apprehensive about the triangle method because I've had many students learn exact values via the triangle method, then having difficulty when it comes to identities in other quadrants.

ie: Someone learning just the triangle would find it quite difficult to see that:

And such trig identities are utilised heavily in those big Complex Number questions that prove some sort of exact trig identity like:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have to do this because I have terrible memory :(
I know what you mean. My memory is very poor, but I guess that's a good thing because it forced me to try to understand everything, otherwise I would forget.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Exactly the case. If you understand it one way (and it's correct and efficient), then by all means continue.

I am only apprehensive about the triangle method because I've had many students learn exact values via the triangle method, then having difficulty when it comes to identities in other quadrants.

ie: Someone learning just the triangle would find it quite difficult to see that:

And such trig identities are utilised heavily in those big Complex Number questions that prove some sort of exact trig identity like:

Oh I see.

Well, for other quadrants, we'd use those ASTC rules in addition to the triangles. Learning to use those helped.

But yeah I can see your point.

IamBread

HSC
I just remembered the 2 triangles and the graphs. Never really liked the unit circle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)