Labor Leadership Spill 2012 (6 Viewers)

a c

HSC
Re: Kevin Rudd Resigns as Foreign Minister

Rudd hasn't openly criticized Gillard
I was only justifying Swan's response to Rudd's speech, disregard prior attacks by other ministers; Rudd attacked Gillard in his speech in the following ways:

"I promise you this - there is no way, no way, that I will ever be part of a stealth attack on a sitting prime minister elected by the people," he said.

"We all know that what happened then was wrong and it must never happen again."

The attack upon character is thinly veiled, and it's raising the issue of legitimacy.

He also talks at length about his lack of support from Gillard, the only purpose of mentioning this is to increase sympathy for himself and potentially increase his own power - which is an attack. He could have just said in resignation 'I want to end confusion, speculation, show support for the government etc'. A Costello like retirement. He left a leadership challenge wide open, which is also an attack.

It hurts the party because it is backing themselves into a losing corner
Their existing position was untenable. There was no way they could go to the next election with the current ministry. Largely it's the fault of the media beat up.

The video and public criticism by crean et al, are arguably deserved, depending on what he has been doing privately to undermine the government. Burke remarks "
Mr Rudd [has been] campaigning for the leadership for months and said it was "the worst kept secret in Canberra". How were they supposed to stop that privately?

Gillard's team couldn't simply dismiss Rudd, couldn't privately thwart his campaigning, couldn't withstand the constant media leadership speculation, what can you do other than public criticism?

ZeeZee3

HSC
Re: Kevin Rudd Resigns

After all that swearing on that youtube video about interpreters, people would expect him to resign. Big stab into his reputation and trustworthiness after he shows his aggressiveness and lack of self control, especially when he is being recorded.

epicFAILx

HSC

i thought it was creens fault. not swannies

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

at least he didn't cry this time
this
I dont think you fully grasp the situation you're talking about
interesting that you have no rebuttal or anything to add to what he was saying though

how does he not?
Of all the people, Swan!?

I thought they were like best friends (in politics anyway).
you watch too much Rove

but I admit I didn't realise their relationship was as toxic as it is until Lentern pointed it out to me

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Can't wait for Newspoll. Will poll over the coming weekend and no doubt be released on Sunday night in time for the ballot. Expect all the Rudd v Gillard type questions.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

Ron Paul is the new Foreign Minister.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

After all that swearing on that youtube video about interpreters, people would expect him to resign. Big stab into his reputation and trustworthiness after he shows his aggressiveness and lack of self control, especially when he is being recorded.
wait, so you think that video actually damaged rudd?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Breaking: Kevin Rudd renounces Australian citizenship to escape his fat wife

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Breaking: Kevin Rudd renounces Australian citizenship to escape his fat wife
That is not funny as she is hardly 'fat'. It just makes you come off as a douchebag.

Lentern

HSC

but I admit I didn't realise their relationship was as toxic as it is until Lentern pointed it out to me
They were close initially, but I think Rudd being a difficult man to work with increasingly frustrated Swan and if Rudd's reputation is true, treated Swan like he was comparatively dumb and by the time of the spill there was no love coming from Swan. Rudd apparently trusted Swan all the way to the end and was flabbergasted when Swan turned on him in the 2010 ballot. Since then the relationship has been poisonous and dysfunctional.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

at least he didn't cry this time
at least he didn't say "gotta zip" or whatever it was

i do miss "programmatic specificity" though.

a c

HSC

lose 10 kilos

Lentern

HSC

I was only justifying Swan's response to Rudd's speech, disregard prior attacks by other ministers; Rudd attacked Gillard in his speech in the following ways:

"I promise you this - there is no way, no way, that I will ever be part of a stealth attack on a sitting prime minister elected by the people," he said.

"We all know that what happened then was wrong and it must never happen again."

The attack upon character is thinly veiled, and it's raising the issue of legitimacy.

He also talks at length about his lack of support from Gillard, the only purpose of mentioning this is to increase sympathy for himself and potentially increase his own power - which is an attack. He could have just said in resignation 'I want to end confusion, speculation, show support for the government etc'. A Costello like retirement. He left a leadership challenge wide open, which is also an attack.

Their existing position was untenable. There was no way they could go to the next election with the current ministry. Largely it's the fault of the media beat up.

The video and public criticism by crean et al, are arguably deserved, depending on what he has been doing privately to undermine the government. Burke remarks "
Mr Rudd [has been] campaigning for the leadership for months and said it was "the worst kept secret in Canberra". How were they supposed to stop that privately?

Gillard's team couldn't simply dismiss Rudd, couldn't privately thwart his campaigning, couldn't withstand the constant media leadership speculation, what can you do other than public criticism?
Swan's attack was completely disproportionate to Rudd's criticism.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

Kevin Rudd should challenge Therese Rein's leadership and institute some weight loss policies.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Well probably, how often do you see a politician go berserk swearing and punching the table?
Probably? I watched and was like: "So...? He swears. Wow."

If you want people going berserk, watch Taiwanese parliament videos or something.

ZeeZee3

HSC

Probably? I watched and was like: "So...? He swears. Wow."

If you want people going berserk, watch Taiwanese parliament videos or something.
People tend to prefer calm, logical leaders with self control. Obviously, peoples views will change after a single angry burst, especially when someone is the former prime minister. That being said, I also had a similar reaction as you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)