Labor Leadership Spill 2012 (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
Re: Kevin Rudd Resigns as Foreign Minister

Channel seven claiming Rudd jumped because they were about to report that Rudd had promised clubs Australia to scrap mandatory precommitment.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Taking the tensions/criticisms out in public is just plain stupidity especially in a hung parliament. No one should ever openly criticise another fellow party member (especially with such strong language) in the public eye. Such an act is only in one's self interests to try to get the public to side with them. This act of self interest comes at a great expense to the party as a whole as it shows bitter disunity and poor teamwork. It only gives free points to the opposition.

People like Crean should've kept their mouths shut and dealt with the issue behind closed doors away from the public. I was pretty shocked at how Rudd decided to return the blow with openly direct attacks. Swan should've kept his mouth shut as well as it just made the situation worse for the Labor party. Now it's just become nothing but a bitter childish dispute all out in the open for the public scruitiny, forcing the PM to call a spill. This issue has become a huge distraction away from policy implementation and the fact that many party members have decided to feed the increasing interest of the public on this 'soap opera' just shows that they cannot resolve their internal difficulties without whinging to the public for support. I have to admit though that the PM herself seemed somewhat well composed amongst this because at least she didn't give the media what they wanted to hear (I wonder if this has changed after Rudd directly attacked her).

Given the open insults that have just been traded, Labor has just gone into self destruction and I expect a NSW type wipeout next election. The end.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Tony Jones just said Rudd will be holding another press conference tonight, presumably to announce his candidacy or lack thereof in a leadership ballot.
Any update on this?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

Taking the tensions/criticisms out in public is just plain stupidity especially in a hung parliament. No one should ever openly criticise another fellow party member (especially with such strong language) in the public eye. Such an act is only in one's self interests to try to get the public to side with them. This act of self interest comes at a great expense to the party as a whole as it shows bitter disunity and poor teamwork. It only gives free points to the opposition.
ah yes, such discussions are best dealt with in the politburo by the politburo

fear not, comrades

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Re: Kevin Rudd Resigns

Well probably, how often do you see a politician go berserk swearing and punching the table?
You don't. Which is why it won't damage his reputation. It's like that time he went to a strip club. Most people were just like "m888 wot a champ".

(Also, it's not like he has much of a reputation to begin with hehe)

Lentern

HSC

Interesting Rudd pretty much isn't make a plea to caucus at all, no promises to be consultative etc, entirely appealing to public support.

Garygaz

HSC

but seriously crean and swan are pretty fucking dumb for coming out and publically attacking a man who has massive public support and in their eyes has done little to lead to the media circus (minding his own business over seas)

Lentern

HSC

So she's not going to call off the personal attacks. Bad look.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Gillard will imo indefinitely win the leadership ballot on Monday, simply becase Rudd is too much of a dickhead and has too bad a reputation as a egocentric control freak to have much support within his own party. However, whilst Gillard has proven to be successful in face to face negotiations, ruthless and witty in parliament, neverhteless she has never been capable of actually presenting herself effectively to the Australian public. Instead much of her tenure as Prime Minister has been undermined by the fact that she is a terrible public speaker, bores the Australian public to death and cannot sell her ideas for shit. That's probably the brutal truth, that even if she had good policies, even if she was a great negotiator, intelligent etc. she did not demonstrate this directly to the Australian public and therefore could not possibly shore up their support. Rudd could probably muster significant public support, but has the opposite problem in the sense that he is an abysmal negotiator and has already garnered a bad reputation within his own caucus.

Either way, I think the Labor Party is pretty much effed for the next election. Not because of an effective Opposition mind you, but because they screwed themselves up.

Lentern

HSC
Speak of the devil, the cracken awakes, Smith on radio national trashing Rudd right now.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The Labor caucus might not like Rudd although the public do. Labors only chance of winning the next election is with Rudd.

epicFAILx

HSC
my apologies if i am slow on this resignation.
But wasn't Julia Guillard meant to make her statement last night at 10:45.. because all I saw were reporters giving their view on the debate....seems like a waste of a TV time slot.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ministers McClelland, Carr and Ferguson have come out in support of Rudd.

Expect more when Rudd actually confirms he's running.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Ministers McClelland, Carr and Ferguson have come out in support of Rudd.

Expect more when Rudd actually confirms he's running.
Bowen and Garrett probably, anyone else? From what I've heard cabinet is pretty locked in behind Gillard. Albanese maybe.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Does anybody know what time Rudd is actually expected to touch down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)