What is the best textbook/ Study guide for Preliminary Mathmatics ( 2 unit) (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
is Cambridge 2 unit any good?
It is quite good in terms of actually explaining the concept and has many more challenging questions as opposed to Maths in Focus which is obviously a positive thing. Although, I would much prefer the 2u Fitzpatrick book since the questions there are also really nice and sometimes challenging. Despite this, either will suffice.

You guys can take my word since I own Fitzpatrick, MIF and Cambridge :L

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Maths in Focus is dead easy the questions in it are basically the first questions of Cambridge.
Cambridge has more exam type questions and more challenging questions that requires you to know your concepts.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Maths in Focus is dead easy the questions in it are basically the first questions of Cambridge.
Cambridge has more exam type questions and more challenging questions that requires you to know your concepts.
This is quite true.
We use Maths in focus, it's good in terms of explanation of concepts but the excersices arnt top notch. Best thing in my opinion is to learn ur concepts from Maths in focus and then try finding some past papers and do them.
You can either find some off bos or ask spiral, he has tonnes, literally.

Good luck though.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maths in Focus: Margaret Grove

+ Has fully worked solutions
+ Best source of 'typical exam questions'
+ Very pretty textbook
- Too few questions
- Too easy questions

Overall: Good for learning concepts and practising basic questions.

Cambridge Series: Bill Pender

+ Excellent variety of difficulties, ranging from 'Maths in Focus' to 'troubling the average Extension 2 student'.
+ Good explanations and worked questions
+ Teaches based on understanding and derives almost ALL formulas.
- No worked solutions, just numerical answers. Proofs are omitted.

Overall: Good for practising once you've mastered the topics.

Understanding Mathematics *the one with Australia as a logo*: Max Shur

+ Absolutely impeccable explanations. Good range of worked examples to help you get through.
+ Difficulty levels are set so one day you can do Level 1, the next day Level 2 etc.
- More of a rote learning textbook. Rarely any proofs for formulas.
- No worked solutions, just numerical answers. Proofs are omitted.
- Even the Level 3 questions are sometimes a bit easy.

Overall: Excellent for learning the actual content. Good range of questions but upon mastering the topic, they no longer become challenging.

My suggestion:

1. Understanding Mathematics when you first learn it.
2. Half of Maths in Focus to practise the 'typical exam questions'.
3. Move on to Cambridge to master the topic.
4. Go back to Maths in Focus and finish the rest of it so then you know how easy/hard you will find the questions in the exam.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Fitzpatrick gets my vote.

Whilst it's great to have all the textbooks, it's of course not necessary (one is sufficient).

SunnyScience

HSC
I use couchman 3u (orange one) for 2u and the blue one for 3u. Its alright. I have done 90% of all the questions (5 ~200 paged work books) and am now using Fitzpatrick for a challenge and the success one books :)

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

dr cookie

HSC
I absolutely hate Maths in Focus... really bad examples that explain next to nothing... MATHS QUEST, PLEASE WRITE A 2UNIT BOOK!!!!!!!

zeebobDD

HSC
uhmm go for the fitzpatrick

if only terry lee had a book for 2u:L

purplemoon

HSC
Couchman and Jones should be alright if you want to learn the basics, however ive found that it doesnt have the solutions for proving congruency, finding angles in triangles, etc. But fitzpatrick would be a good source if u want a bit more challenging questions i guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)