Reputation/Rep Power (4 Viewers)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: How do youse get rep powr

And they changed the rep formula again...?

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

^ rep begging :p

To be honest rep is soo much easier to get nowadays and has sorta been "devalued". This may partly be due to circle jerking but the rep powers on heaps of users are just ridiculous.

I've seen members, who posted a couple of years ago, with over a couple of thousand posts yet only of green bars (not quite sure about the quality of their posts though :p).
Not true! Actually I said it because it seemed like everyone was against me so I thought I would say something nice :)

carpe_diem

HSC

Hahaha thanks. It is just something I learnt ages ago. I used to even apologise to the people who neg repped me but I don't do that anymore. Just remember, you can't be liked by everyone! :)
ahahahaha

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

ahahahaha
I'm serious because I always thought I did something wrong. As I said, I no longer care about what people think of me, it makes your life so much better!

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

And they changed the rep formula again...?
Wow lol, yeah they did. I'm probably wrong but looking at individuals, i think the amount rep contributed to powa has been reduced?

Whilst individual rep power has gone up lately, so has the amount you need to reach certain levels of rep (i.e. I think a couple months ago, light green was only 600 now its 1000). Also, I dont think rep existed for an extended period a couple of years ago (older mods would know more).
That's true but if you think about the amount of times users rep (especially in ns and ncap), then it's probably still out of proportion.

But yeah the formula was changed so none of this is relevant lol..

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

100 per dark green bar until you get to 1000 rep (10 green bars)
Then it's 600 per light green bar. Until you get to 6400 rep points. [1000 + (600 times 9)]
Then it's GOLD bby!!
Dis iz wrong now. I think it's 800 per light green bar.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

I thought it was 600.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

it is a mystery

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

I guess the rep system was implemented so people would get an indication of who the 'helpful' users were; it wasn't implemented to be a system of circle-jerking.
No, it was explicitly implemented to be a system of circle-jerking when it was reintroduced in 2009.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

We experimented with rep once long ago. I introduced it as a way of rewarding people who helped others. In fact it was used mainly as a popularity vote based on humour and other similar considerations. So we abolished it.

In hindsight I don't think it was wise to remove functionality which our members liked and wanted to use. The fact that they wanted to use it for something that we hadn't intended doesn't mean we should try to stop them. It does mean that it wasn't used as a reward for helpers, but it also wasn't hurting the forums in any way.

I am considering leaving rep in the game and introducing a parallel 'brownie points' system to serve as rewards for helpers. Presumably those users who are interested in rep as a measure of social popularity will not be interested in being seen as goody goody helpers. Details still to be worked out though.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

pretty much everyone did. admins probs changed the formula for calculating it

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

And to Riproot who just neg repped me, I'm glad you remember haha! It's okay, I know you've hated me ever since I registered on this website! :p

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Yes, the formula was changed today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)