• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Looking for solutions (3 Viewers)

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Write the numerator as the sum of two polynomials, one with a factor of (x^2-1), another with a factor of (x^2+1). It falls apart from there.
Partial fractions, don't know why that wasn't the first thing I thought of. Not quite sure why I said polynomial long division when quite clearly the exponent of the numerator > exponent of the denominator...

The Matrix

HSC
Past papers are so good, I'm doing the 2010 paper now :) Hopefully I can get 3 papers done each day, I need like 30 papers done before the trials, that's 10 hours per day of MX2 over 10 days, I have about 4 weeks from now till the trials (trials in week 3), so I have time for other subjects, need to work really efficiently!

deswa1

HSC
Past papers are so good, I'm doing the 2010 paper now :) Hopefully I can get 3 papers done each day, I need like 30 papers done before the trials, that's 10 hours per day of MX2 over 10 days, I have about 4 weeks from now till the trials (trials in week 3), so I have time for other subjects, need to work really efficiently!
Tbh, don't spend so much time on MX2. You seem to be decent at it so focus much more on your other subs (especially english). The value added to your ATAR by going from 93 to 96 in 4U is quite small.

The Matrix

HSC
Tbh, don't spend so much time on MX2. You seem to be decent at it so focus much more on your other subs (especially english). The value added to your ATAR by going from 93 to 96 in 4U is quite small.
Then I'll try do 1 paper per subject, that is, 1 MX2 paper, 1 Chemistry paper and 1 Physics paper per day, all I have to do for English is memorise my essays like a week before the trials...

deswa1

HSC
Then I'll try do 1 paper per subject, that is, 1 MX2 paper, 1 Chemistry paper and 1 Physics paper per day, all I have to do for English is memorise my essays like a week before the trials...
No! You won't be able to access the top marks by just doing this. You need to have a more holistic understanding of your texts because what happens if they throw a curveball question at you (look at Mod B in the HSC 2011 as an example). Given that you are good at the sciency/maths subjects, I would highly recommend going through english questions and developing (even in your head) ways of answering them/developing writing style etc.. I know you probably hate english but if you want the best ATAR possible, I would really recommend focusing on it/

The Matrix

HSC
No! You won't be able to access the top marks by just doing this. You need to have a more holistic understanding of your texts because what happens if they throw a curveball question at you (look at Mod B in the HSC 2011 as an example). Given that you are good at the sciency/maths subjects, I would highly recommend going through english questions and developing (even in your head) ways of answering them/developing writing style etc.. I know you probably hate english but if you want the best ATAR possible, I would really recommend focusing on it/
:( I hate english.
I still do well at it in assessments but yeah, I will try and study more, worst subject ever, full of bullshit!
It is less rote earning than biology though, you need some degree of understanding in English. For biology I literally study the day before the test by reading the textbook and I'm ranked top 3, will drop it though, I don't want it to be in my atar.
How many HSC papers should I get done before the trials, I'm aiming for at least 20, which will take at least 1 week, I wonder if I can do 3 per day but :( I finished revising MX2 and chemistry today, will finish physics in about 5 days, then just do 3 past papers, 1 per day for each subject, will try and find some time to study for English and MX1. For now, I just wanna do as many MX2 past papers as possible, I just wanna concentrate on getting faster as doing questions 1-6, because doing these fast and accurately will guarantee me at least a 90, and it will give me more time to do questions 7-8 which will get me a 99 hopefully.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Stay on topic please =)

Make another thread if you want to talk about all this stuff.

math man

HSC
N/A
lol at the warning. To be honest, I don't think this paper truly reflects the abilities needed to get a State Rank because it requires methods outside the syllabus. Although some things in the HSC Examination are out of syllabus and not necessarily taught at schools or in textbooks, they are always intuitive things that can be deduced by an observant student. The 'FMC #1' however is not intuitive at all and a rigourous proof for it isn't exactly simple. Even the simple 'proof' uses things outside the syllabus like the MVT and Newton's Quotient. I like question 5 (a) because of the result. I presume you're meant to use polynomial long division? Otherwise you can just use Cauchy's Integral :p
no it is very simple, you break the integral up into sum of even and odd function and end up with a tan inverse integral

math man

HSC
N/A
Partial fractions, don't know why that wasn't the first thing I thought of. Not quite sure why I said polynomial long division when quite clearly the exponent of the numerator > exponent of the denominator...
it works with partial fractions, but takes like 2 pages, it was really funny watching most ppl use them, just use the method i laid above

math man

HSC
N/A
lol at the warning. To be honest, I don't think this paper truly reflects the abilities needed to get a State Rank because it requires methods outside the syllabus. Although some things in the HSC Examination are out of syllabus and not necessarily taught at schools or in textbooks, they are always intuitive things that can be deduced by an observant student. The 'FMC #1' however is not intuitive at all and a rigourous proof for it isn't exactly simple. Even the simple 'proof' uses things outside the syllabus like the MVT and Newton's Quotient. I like question 5 (a) because of the result. I presume you're meant to use polynomial long division? Otherwise you can just use Cauchy's Integral :p
i made this question up when i was studying for analysis exam, i was doing a question very similar to this one where there were all pluses and no minues as i have here and i needed residue thm
to compute it, but i tweaked the question a bit so a good 4u student would realise the even/odd properties and can actually compute the integral

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
i made this question up when i was studying for analysis exam, i was doing a question very similar to this one where there were all pluses and no minues as i have here and i needed residue thm
to compute it, but i tweaked the question a bit so a good 4u student would realise the even/odd properties and can actually compute the integral
Quite clearly I don't fall into that category because the first thing I thought of was long division, and it doesn't even work! :p

The Matrix

HSC
Has anyone done question 7, part a) part ii) ???
How do we find the distance at which the particle falls ?!?!?
Part i) is too marks, it is just sin/cos, they ask that questions in almost all conical pendulum questions, easy 2 marks.

seanieg89

HSC
Has anyone done question 7, part a) part ii) ???
How do we find the distance at which the particle falls ?!?!?
Part i) is too marks, it is just sin/cos, they ask that questions in almost all conical pendulum questions, easy 2 marks.
Projectile motion.

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A
Tye moriah 2001 is indeed a hard paper, but i think question 5 regarding the quintic polynomial, it cant have only 4 roots right? Hence invalid question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)