• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
A student teacher once gave a pretty decent structure for a body paragraph:

Thesis
Example (Quotes, language techniques etc)
Analysis (Of the example as well as context and how it relates I.e. J.G Ballard was in the Royal Air Force from 1953 - 1954 and as a result aircraft was featured excessively in the novel Empire of the Sun)
Link (restating the thesis)

which i realised is really similar to the link kaze gave

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Go
Play
Skyrim

:D
Probably better to keep to topic, kaze. Promise to find a time to game with you soon. I basically follow this if I feel the need to go this far in my essays (this is what I generally have for each paragraph in the body section if I decide I want to put all my effort into it):

Point
Elaborate
Technique
Analysis
Link

kazemagic

HSC
My bad lol, but I did go off topic keeping this thread's name in mind :)

russ3l

HSC
Probably better to keep to topic, kaze. Promise to find a time to game with you soon. I basically follow this if I feel the need to go this far in my essays (this is what I generally have for each paragraph in the body section if I decide I want to put all my effort into it):

Point
Elaborate
Technique
Analysis
Link
Its good to know that we all have pretty similar structures in essays :)
I think the important ones are technique and point in all structures

russ3l

HSC
Demento1 have you done Macbeth? or any shakespeare related play this year? If not, whats the english curriculum at grammar like?

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
How is everyone going with their subject selections? :) I am going to see what recommendations I get for maths when I get back to school, but this is what I am most likely going to do (not sure if the school would allow me to do 13 units though, I have to check that as well):
- Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)
- Advanced English
- Mathematics
- Economics
- Geography
- Chemistry
- Visual Arts
* Business Studies
* Modern History

If something is on the same line, I'll choose one subject and for the other subject I'll just replace it with business studies or modern history. However if I do extension for English, extension for maths or extension for English and maths (unlikely) then I might choose to remove visual arts.

kev-kun

HSC
Hm... All good here for subject selections XDXD Although just don't know whether to do SORI or SORII (since its compulsory ==') Any suggestions?
Well my subjects are
Adv. English
3U Math
Chemistry
Physics
Music 2
SORI/II
(with SDD, Eco and Bio as reserves)

Last edited:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Hm... All good here for subject selections XDXD Although just don't know whether to do SORI or SORII (since its compulsory ==') Any suggestions?
Well my subjects are
Adv. English
3U Math
Chemistry
Physics
Music 2
SORI/II
(with SDD, Eco and Bio as reserves)
Are you a musically orientated person? So far, if you enjoy theological type sectors, definitely continue and complete SOR 2 if you feel this way. In summation, clearly choose the sub if you feel you would benefit and enjoy it.

How is everyone going with their subject selections? :) I am going to see what recommendations I get for maths when I get back to school, but this is what I am most likely going to do (not sure if the school would allow me to do 13 units though, I have to check that as well):
- Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)
- Advanced English
- Mathematics
- Economics
- Geography
- Chemistry
- Visual Arts
* Business Studies
* Modern History

If something is on the same line, I'll choose one subject and for the other subject I'll just replace it with business studies or modern history. However if I do extension for English, extension for maths or extension for English and maths (unlikely) then I might choose to remove visual arts.
Good work taking my advice to do VA for 2013, as I am sure you will flourish in that subject. Do you enjoy writing or are you a person who likes a lot of applications to real life scenarios? If the former, definitely go for modern history whereas with the latter, it would suggest business studies is the better option.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Good work taking my advice to do VA for 2013, as I am sure you will flourish in that subject. Do you enjoy writing or are you a person who likes a lot of applications to real life scenarios? If the former, definitely go for modern history whereas with the latter, it would suggest business studies is the better option.
Personally I love both of those things, which makes it even harder! What do you think about the rest of my subjects?

kev-kun

HSC
Are you a musically orientated person? So far, if you enjoy theological type sectors, definitely continue and complete SOR 2 if you feel this way. In summation, clearly choose the sub if you feel you would benefit and enjoy it.
Yep I'm musically orientated ^^
Well... I guess you could say I enjoy finding a deeper insight about religious beliefs. Well I'll take aboard your advice. Thanks a bunch :)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Personally I love both of those things, which makes it even harder! What do you think about the rest of my subjects?
Liking the looks of your subject choices, although I will be frank and critical with you (please don't think I am opposing you). If you are struggling at this stage with mathematics and not acquiring good marks, you will find difficulty with 3U mathematics once new topics are taught to you. If you really think you can make a change in attitude with mathematics, by all means go 3U but be careful, as the marks reflect the level of mathematics you're better off doing because in all honesty, there's no point doing 3U math if one cannot and doesn't enjoy math. Just think carefully about your choice of 3U math, I may be wrong, you might reach some mental disposition/epiphany where you understand and tear maths apart next year but I am judging you as what you are currently. Simply think carefully about your decision of 3U math and the rest seem good to go.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Yep I'm musically orientated ^^
Well... I guess you could say I enjoy finding a deeper insight about religious beliefs. Well I'll take aboard your advice. Thanks a bunch :)
Do you have any courses or careers you're thinking of pursuing post HSC? I could give a better assessment and insight of you if you wish it.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Liking the looks of your subject choices, although I will be frank and critical with you (please don't think I am opposing you). If you are struggling at this stage with mathematics and not acquiring good marks, you will find difficulty with 3U mathematics once new topics are taught to you. If you really think you can make a change in attitude with mathematics, by all means go 3U but be careful, as the marks reflect the level of mathematics you're better off doing because in all honesty, there's no point doing 3U math if one cannot and doesn't enjoy math. Just think carefully about your choice of 3U math, I may be wrong, you might reach some mental disposition/epiphany where you understand and tear maths apart next year but I am judging you as what you are currently. Simply think carefully about your decision of 3U math and the rest seem good to go.
Thanks for that :) Personally, I only wanted to do 2U but people have been saying to choose the highest level of mathematics you can, even if you think you only think that you are sort-of capable of doing it because things could change next year. So I took that into consideration. I do plan to do extension English though, however that could change as well because although I think I am capable of doing it, I also think that Advanced English might be enough for me.

kev-kun

HSC
Do you have any courses or careers you're thinking of pursuing post HSC? I could give a better assessment and insight of you if you wish it.
Um yes I do. I'm thinking of either a course in medicine or an engineering/arts degree, in terms of careers I'm unsure. And in terms of the assessment, that would be great :biggrin:

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I'm thinking about choosing to do Modern AND Ancient history next year but I have a feeling that i'm going to overwhelmed with the amount of work...

To be honest, i'm excited for my senior years because I just want to get the HSC over and done with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)