Are we are allow to use L'Hospital's Rule for lim question (2 Viewers)

Saturn WY15

HSC
So basically can we use L'Hospital's Rule for lim question (lim x>0 sinx/x) etc

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'd avoid it. I use it in school exams but for externals I'm not going to.

D94

HSC
N/A
So basically can we use L'Hospital's Rule for lim question (lim x>0 sinx/x) etc
In high school, it's sort of an identity that the limit of sin(x)/x = 1, and they say that due to small angle approximations. Since they treat it as an identity, you just need to manipulate similar questions to get it into the form of sin(x)/x or likewise.

But you can't use L'H for the HSC.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
if you can't use an alternate method in school what makes you think you'll be able to for HSC?
I think you are technically allowed to but its stupid because

a) As you and D94 have pointed out, there is an easy method in the syllabus which can be used
b) If your marker does not have the mathematical knowledge to understand the alternate methods you use, its likely they will assume you're talking out of your ass and give you minimal marks. In other words, its risky and tbh if you have the ability to comprehend and utilise out of syllabus mathematics, you should have the ability to solve those questions with the methods in the syllabus anyway

Saturn WY15

HSC
I think you are technically allowed to but its stupid because

a) As you and D94 have pointed out, there is an easy method in the syllabus which can be used
b) If your marker does not have the mathematical knowledge to understand the alternate methods you use, its likely they will assume you're talking out of your ass and give you minimal marks. In other words, its risky and tbh if you have the ability to comprehend and utilise out of syllabus mathematics, you should have the ability to solve those questions with the methods in the syllabus anyway
Yeah i know but i just find it so much easier using the L'Hospital rule. Oh well ;0

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
In first year maths at sydney uni our lecturer told us not to use L'Hopital's rule for sinx/x because it is used when establishing d/dx(sinx), creating a circular argument. There is another way to set up the trig functions that bypasses the issue but it just might be worth noting.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Another way is the taylor series expansion.

ie. sin x / x = (x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!- ....) / x = 1 - (x^2/3!-x^4/5!+...)

It is clear that if you set x->0 then sin x / x -> 1.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You shouldn't see any questions that require L'hospital's rule in 3U. Though Saturn's tutor said it can be used in 4U.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, don't use it.

The HSC is there to test HOW WELL you can apply what you're meant to know, not just how much you know out-of-syllabus things (though of course that helps sometimes).

HSC
No - the questions involving these are easy enough!!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Another way is the taylor series expansion.

ie. sin x / x = (x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!- ....) / x = 1 - (x^2/3!-x^4/5!+...)

It is clear that if you set x->0 then sin x / x -> 1.
Yes because Taylor Series is part of the HSC...

HSC
Haha carrot, no it is not, but by the trend of the questions that related to these identities (sinx/x, x/sinx, tanx/x, x/tanx) are quite straightforward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)