Tutors (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
@Solooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo- so how would you run the system? Like who would decide the cirriculum and how would you enforce it?
There are plenty of ways to enforce regulations.

The syllabus would be decided by the government and/or people appointed as their representatives.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: The p00n thread

so lets see

people not naturally talented in science or maths should be given middle tier jobs and stuff
Yes. Although instead of 'shit' jobs as you put it, I would call it middle tier jobs that perhaps do not require university education (i.e. trades etc).

Surely you can see how insane this is.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

Yes. Although instead of 'shit' jobs as you put it, I would call it middle tier jobs that perhaps do not require university education (i.e. trades etc).
You are surely notsrs.

I could say something incredibly sexist here, but won't.

deswa1

HSC

You are surely notsrs.

Say it- I wanna hear it lol. And unfortunately I think he is serious.

@Solo- which school did you go to?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Solo, why do we need a STEM nation? Enlighten us.
As that is where all the jobs are going to be in the future. China hasn't risen so fast technically by embracing artists and dancers. They have risen so fast through their intensive training of scientists and engineers.

You are surely notsrs.

Yes, I am serious.

deswa1

HSC
As that is where all the jobs are going to be in the future. China hasn't risen so fast technically by embracing artists and dancers. They have risen so fast through their intensive training of scientists and engineers.
But you are implying that being creative means that you must produce artists and that a rigid society is required to produce engineers. This makes no sense. Engineers and architects etc. need vision. They can't be mindless robots and think the same way as everyone else- look at all of the great scientists in history and they all thought outside the box and were original etc. You want to deny this creativity

theind1996

HSC
N/A

Say it- I wanna hear it lol. And unfortunately I think he is serious.

@Solo- which school did you go to?
Since females are predominantly concentrated in arts and law courses as opposed to science and technology, then Solooo is indirectly saying that the upper class will have even more men, so women are basically pushed down even further.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Since females are predominantly concentrated in arts and law courses as opposed to science and technology, then Solooo is indirectly saying that the upper class will have even more men, so women are basically pushed down even further.
I never said there would be classes. Naturally, men have always dominated positions of power and would likely continue to do so. Julia Gillard as a female leader of Australia hasn't exactly been a good example of feminine leadership.

teeah

HSC
not sure if this discussion is still about the tutor thing because it seems to be more about creativity now but on the case of tutors;

as someone who hasnt actually ever had a tutor, i think a lot of students require a mentoring figure more than a tutor. if schools could provide this, on top of their normal teaching/learning teachers, year advisors etc, itd be good. my school had a mentoring system where we saw our mentors twice a year- not very effective at all. with the current number of teachers itd be impossible to have anymore meetings simply because there isnt enough time for teachers to teach the syllabus and mentor us, but if we could train and equip new teachers to be more 'mentor-y' than 'teacher-y' i think we'd see a huge reduction in the number of students taking up tutoring.

from what ive gathered via conversations with my friends who do have tutors, they need it for the sort of discipline it enforces and resources made available more than anything else. they like the idea of having someone there who makes you study subject a say 3 times a week then having to force yourself to do it. [another plus, im told, is the bottomless pit of questions/trial/past papers tutors seem to have].
i understand the argument that some students have teachers who aren't very competent and thus need someone outside of school to help them out, but i think this is where the inschool mentor idea could be useful.

hope some of that made sense.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

I never said there would be classes. Naturally, men have always dominated positions of power and would likely continue to do so. Julia Gillard as a female leader of Australia hasn't exactly been a good example of feminine leadership.
I'm understanding your 'tier' system to be a 'class' system.

Yes, but while we are aiming to address this inequality in the current day, your proposed plans would merely increase the gender disparity.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC

I would do away with ATARs altogether. At the end of each year of school (however many years that may be), students would be assessed as being either competent or incompetent. If competent they progress to the next part of their education, if incompetent they repeat the component/year until they are deemed to be competent. .
do you realise how crowded in general the schooling system would get after a decade

do you even realise how flawed that is

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

do you realise how crowded in general the schooling system would get after a decade

do you even realise how flawed that is
It would work. Obviously there would have to be some strike system though.

HSC
Depending on how your defining a tutor, I believe Tutor's are a good thing if you don't understand the work and you ONLY go over the stuff you have done in class. If your learning ahead of the class with your Tutor I guess you are correct in saying that because I believe if the student wants to work ahead they should self-teach themselves as it's unfair.

Rohanco

HSC
It seems like your just taking your frustration out on those who could afford tutors because you couldn't.

Yeah getting a tutor can be expensive, and yes not everyone can afford one, and ofcoarse that's not entirely fair... I hate to break it to you but that's life. You're going to be faced with hundreds of situations in your life where you missed out after months of waiting in because some snobby brat bought their way into first place.

My parents struggle with money like many, but I went out and compromised my study time by getting a job so I could pay for my own tutor.

And by the way your version of how you think society and the education system should be sounds like the type of oppressive society A communist/dictator would run. Sorry for the semi-crazy rant here. But I'm not in a great financial position either, but I like to think that I managed myself well, I work hard and do my best wit what I have, not complain about it publicly on forums like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)